Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

"Or you could just use the radar :-S "

lol i wish the radar was accuate, always see ppcn evaperate before it hits the groundpardon.gif

Edited by thegreat316

Posted

I trust this chart properly assigns risk (for midnight) for those who are asking ...

post-5986-12627137283352_thumb.gif

Happy ramping!!

(Worth noting that the MetO, although moved it East, a bit are still going for the more westerly solution.

What this actually means, is that the air at 700hPa (just under 1000m) is going to explode upwards at a rate of up to 55hPa/h. That's really is quite vigorous motion. This would be exciting for different reasons in the heat of summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

Im in West Herts! Feel more sorry for you lot in the East! But it may well come for you!

Yeah I know where you are :drinks: . By "we" i was referring to myself and those of us in Hertford, Ware, Sawbridgeworth etc to whom you were relating some of your "Herts" comments

Posted

What this actually means, is that the air at 700hPa (just under 1000m) is going to explode upwards at a rate of up to 55hPa/h. That's really is quite vigorous motion. This would be exciting for different reasons in the heat of summer.

Yes, amazing forcing there

Posted

I trust this chart properly assigns risk (for midnight) for those who are asking ...post-5986-12627137283352_thumb.gifHappy ramping!!(Worth noting that the MetO, although moved it East, a bit are still going for the more westerly solution.

Oh my hat..........Thanks VP...... :drinks::):):D

Posted

Could mean Thundersnow though...

Posted

What does it mean in the winter???? e.g now...

Posted

I've never seen so much snow in the BBC forecast, a hell of a lot of snow from now until Thursday and beyond! :D

I'd go as far to say in this region if you don't have the depth you want after tonight there's a good chance you'll get more tomorrow during the day (latest forecast showed what almost looked like a Thames Streamer!)

:D

Edited by Tommyd1258

Posted

What does it mean in the winter???? e.g now...

Fast forming clouds at least up to 500hPa (about 5000m - so over 15,000ft) (sorry haven't got access to any higher) so can't tell if t/storms are a possibility. Skew-t charts say no, though - just lots of precipitation from what I can tell at the moment.

Worth noting that this area sinks SE as we go into Wednesday - so tonight might not be your night, but tomorrow might be your day, if you live in Rye ...

Posted

A serious question, i am about to leave Norwich this evening, to stop off at Swanley in Kent and then Guildford in the morning. I am aware of the risk of problems Guildford area, but for my journey back north on Thurs night, am i likely to encounter any problems?

Posted

Really have to laugh at how often the BBC forecast is changing. Totally different from an hour ago

maybe they are covering all bases!

Posted

ETA of heavy snow in London around 8-9pm I reckon. The LP system responsible is also slightly further E IMO.

For those moaning about the lack of snow in Cambs, Norfolk. Well the front unfortunately stalled. We need to wait until the LP drifts S and we pull in the ENE,lys. Im expecting the snow in Peterborough around 6am.

I will add though there is a very slight chance the band of snow may hit some of Cambs. Im really uncertain of the N extent.

Yep I aree on the more easterly idea as well. This is because the low that formed near W.Wales is delaying the development on the low pressure cell over the south of England therefore this will allow the front to carry on NE before the whole lot starts to pivot round.

VP, thats pretty impressive, you can see why the models go for such a relative extreme amount of snowfall, still think a foot of snow looks quite possible in the bullseye, explosive forcing should keep the front nice and strong.

Posted

Fast forming clouds at least up to 500hPa (about 5000m - so over 15,000ft) (sorry haven't got access to any higher) so can't tell if t/storms are a possibility. Skew-t charts say no, though - just lots of precipitation from what I can tell at the moment.

Worth noting that this area sinks SE as we go into Wednesday - so tonight might not be your night, but tomorrow might be your day, if you live in Rye ...

ahh right, well im in luton. Shame that the skew-t charts are saying no, could have been fun

Posted

Yep I aree on the more easterly idea as well. This is because the low that formed near W.Wales is delaying the development on the low pressure cell over the south of England therefore this will allow the front to carry on NE before the whole lot starts to pivot round.

VP, thats pretty impressive, you can see why the models go for such a relative extreme amount of snowfall, still think a foot of snow looks quite possible in the bullseye, explosive forcing should keep the front nice and strong.

Looking much better for us eh Kold! :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

I've never seen so much snow in the BBC forecast, a hell of a lot of snow from now until Thursday and beyond! :D

I'd go as far to say in this region if you don't have the depth you want after tonight there's a good chance you'll get more tomorrow during the day (latest forecast showed what almost looked like a Thames Streamer!)

:D

Tommy... do you think we would need more of a Southerly element to the wind to benefit from a streamer? Not sure a ENE direction would suit us?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Guys, Ian Fergusson posted this about 20mins ago in the SW thread. An updated NAE projection it seems.

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/59853-south-west-england-cold-spell-discussion/page__view__findpost__p__1705188

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wintry and stormy weather

Just been to Sainsbury's here in Tonbridge and the shelves looked like a plague of locusts had swept through!! I wonder whether the panic buying is justified though??? What are West Kent's chances tonight if anyone knows?

Posted

Interesting vertical upwards but they tend to occur on the leading edge too suggesting that the bullseye zone will be slightly to the west...i.e prolonged. Definately the chance for some thundersnow though. I wonder where the bullseye zone will be!

Posted

That's right on top of us Saint! :drinks::yahoo: :yahoo:

Huzzah! Will be very interesting to see how this pans out.