Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Ok here is my map for tonight. The red indicates where 30cm is possible. Around 10-20 in the white.

Strongly disagree with the BBC teletext forecast on pg 401. Too far W IMO and I even feel I overdid the W extent on my map.

post-1766-12627149828752_thumb.jpg

If it goes wrong please don't moan at me. Just trying to do my best for you all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Guys, Ian Fergusson posted this about 20mins ago in the SW thread. An updated NAE projection it seems.

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/59853-south-west-england-cold-spell-discussion/page__view__findpost__p__1705188

Ill repost this in case people missed it.

Posted

Looking much better for us eh Kold! whistling.gif

Still looks a little marginal to me though for us locally, the onshore flow is going to be more of an issue the further east you are as the distance between land increases at the mouth of the Thames.

However the strength of the front really is in our favour and so is the timing to some degree as well.

Dew points rising as well now as we advect in a slight onshore flow...

Edited by kold weather

Posted

That front is heading right for Central London... Why oh why have the UKMO not put us on red alert?

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

This band looks like a thin layer so it will only affect be for a short while.?

Thin layer??

http://www.meteogroup.co.uk/uk/home/weather/radar/united_kingdom.html

Posted

Flakes are small but lots of em, laying on the pavements etc. Looks really heavy down south now.

And i was listening to village plank telling everyone its going to be a dry week! lol.

Posted

Looks like the snow is heading north but in Luton are we too far north? Just popped out to get some money and panic buying is in full swing huge queues for petrol and no bread, milk etc left in both large supermarkets near me!! :ph34r:

Posted

Ok here is my map for tonight. The red indicates where 30cm is possible. Around 10-20 in the white.

Strongly disagree with the BBC teletext forecast on pg 401. Too far W IMO and I even feel I overdid the W extent on my map.

If it goes wrong please don't moan at me. Just trying to do my best for you all.

looks like london is gonna get nailed!

Posted

Moderate snow in Rickmansworth - already a covering.

Do not expect this to stop for several hours as we are now on the conveyer from the south coast

Posted

Still looks a little marginal to me though for us locally, the onshore flow is going to be more of an issue the further east you are as the distance between land increases at the mouth of the Thames.

However the strength of the front really is in our favour and so is the timing to some degree as well.

Kold weather, what do you think the chances are for, say, East Herts over the next few days?:ph34r:

Posted

Looks like the snow is heading north but in Luton are we too far north? Just popped out to get some money and panic buying is in full swing huge queues for petrol and no bread, milk etc left in both large supermarkets near me!! :ph34r:

I would say you're right in the firing line.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Look at all the showers in the channel now being funneled northwards :ph34r:

Posted

Dew points rising as well now as we advect in a slight onshore flow...

More marginal for me than you though!

Still I think we will have a small covering by rush hour tomorrow. Which is more than I though this morning!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Copious amounts of snow and ice days

we have 2-3cm of fresh snow here in stanhoe, north norfolk. hoping to get a little more (very likely at some point this week)

We have a shallow duck pond in the village and the ducks normally keep a small area clear of ice by swimming in circles all day/night (not a joke LOL), its so cold that it has completely frozen over and the ducks are without water. Looks like i will have to go with the spade to clear some ice tommorow for them.

the phenomenal thing is the temps we are getting, met/bbc progged -2c for my area at 18z today, current temp is -6.2c! (2 metres above ground)

cant imagine what the minimums could get to over the weekend/next week, if the north easterly verifies then we will get some severe cold in the region. I have family in southern norway and they are even moaning about the cold this year, and that same air will be flooding toward us.

just a random question, does anybody know whether we have additives in diesel fuel to stop it from freezing/going sludgy like they do on the continent?? could become a problem with the continuing cold spell if we dont!

michael

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely

Norwich as always missing out again..damm it means work tomorrow..happy snow watching southerners

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

Ill repost this in case people missed it.

Thanks! looks like in areas near London it won't stop snowing untill tomorrow afternoon! yahoo.gif

Posted

oh I would love it if the system made an unexpected turn eastwards into Kent, Essex and Sussex. Mind you, I have to go to work tomorrow!

Indeed.

Starting to head north though. Looks like just clipping NW london.

Posted

Is that your sim card on there teits? Anyway like the look of your forecast!

Posted

indeed it does look like a fair bit of this is heading for central london . i expect the warning to be upgraded soon.

as for village plank ..... boring dry weather indeed!