Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Guest archiesmummy

from the met office for east of england......

A few light snow showers but much of the night is expected to be dry though rather cloudy.

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!

We had a few flurries here in essex....please tell me thats not it???????

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, blizzards, thunder snow, thunder and lightning, heat waves, tornadoes

Kent is still yellow I live in west Kent and right

next to me in the next county

it's red!!! What's going on ?

I really wouldn't pay too much attention to the areas dictated by Met Office. Sure, it would appear that the bullseye is western home counties, however as we've seen this afternoon a lot can change in 3-6 hours and overnight it will change again. This is not your average straightforward forecast. Better to be in west kent than east kent.

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Snowing on the iow! :drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

from the met office for east of england......

A few light snow showers but much of the night is expected to be dry though rather cloudy.

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!

We had a few flurries here in essex....please tell me thats not it???????

Mate you are right on the boundary of London, i wouldnt count yourself in East of England for this or any event. You are south-east. I went to school in Chigwell.

Posted

Just started snowing here in north hampshire (8 miles south of Reading/ 5 miles north of Basingstoke)

Moderate ... 100% snow and the road outside my house is now white after just a few mins of snow

Posted

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/se/se_forecast_warnings.html

Absolutely knew this was coming earlier on....I deserve a medal

Red now for most home counties and more of the SE.

I do expect this risk still to transfer a little further East and south but as i said and make no mistake the home counties are really in the firing line tonight....

The "downgrade" was just for Southampton i see from the Met Office website.

there are so many warnings out now its totally confusing reading the website.

Posted

london generally sees lower totals than the surrounding areas..so whilst places like bucks and herts may receive 20cms inner london may only get 5cms..nothing unusual there

It also depends on what she means by London. Does she mean central London or all of Gtr London? Totals tend to vary pretty widely across the Gtr London area in times of snow, it's a big old place London.

Posted

Suburban London can get a lot of accumulations, but central London always struggles unless its well below freezing. Last night Heathrow was about -6c and central London was -1c. A 5 degree difference in just a few miles. Urban Oven Effect.

I just don't buy that.

Last February the same thing was said and we had over 6 inches in Central London.

If the conditions are right - Central London has just as much chance as the surrounding areas.

Posted

I've gone from yellow to orange to red warning today on the met site, not a flake yet but by the looks of it when it comes its here to stay.

I'm now right in the bullseye position i think, corner of surrey right next to Hampshire and Berkshire.

My snow prayers may well of been answered!

Posted

Kent is still yellow I live in west Kent and right

next to me in the next county

it's red!!! What's going on ?

Looks like we have pulled the short one lol,the band of ppn has just turned more N instead of NE,touch and go my friend,fun aint it :yahoo:

Edited by TN9

Posted

Upgrade for Stansted in the latest TAFs

EGSS 051703Z 0518/0624 20005KT 9999 SCT030 BECMG 0518/0521 09010KT PROB30 TEMPO 0518/0524 3000 SN BKN005 BECMG 0523/0601 5000 -SN BR BKN010 TEMPO 0600/0616 1000 SN BKN002 BECMG 0612/0615 01010KT 9999 NSW FEW030

Met Office have advised BAA at Stansted: 2-5CM from 22Z tonight.

Posted

What we have to remember is tonight/tomorrow we're being attacked from the SW and NE. I say attacked because if what im thinking is right then some will get pasting.

Look at the latest Fax chart and you can also clearly see the front moving in from the N and then pushing S across the region.

http://www.meteociel.fr/ukmo/fax/fax24s.gif

This will be followed by snow showers before another band of snow hits this region on Thurs.

http://www.meteociel.fr/ukmo/fax/fax48s.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Each season has its own merits but, since you press me, heavy snow

Im suprised the Herts is still yellow! While the county right next to us is red!:yahoo:

And Cambridgeshire is green!! Do any sages out there concur with this, esp given that the net-weather forecast for my area (just NW of Cambridge) predicts moderate snow throughout the night,or is the net-weather forecast correct?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

I just don't buy that.

Last February the same thing was said and we had over 6 inches in Central London.

If the conditions are right - Central London has just as much chance as the surrounding areas.

And last feb it was cold enough to settle in central london. I cant tell you how many times when the temp has hovered around zero/just above and its snowing in central london and not settling, then i go home half an hour on the tube, and there is some snow on the ground.

Posted

And Cambridgeshire is green!! Do any sages out there concur with this, esp given that the net-weather forecast for my area (just NW of Cambridge) predicts moderate snow throughout the night,or is the net-weather forecast correct?

Probably because no snow is forecast to fall until tomorrow!

Guest archiesmummy

Mate you are right on the boundary of London, i wouldnt count yourself in East of England for this or any event. You are south-east. I went to school in Chigwell.

lol....depends on the weather warning! we are rght on the border here and are classed as essex but to get a mention on the mett office have to look at east of england but i agree should perhaps look at london more esp as that is orange and essex is yellow!!!!!

Posted

Been out all day - am i right in thinking it has shifted slightly further eastward than this morning's forecast?

Need that band to circle over us MW,looks tight for me,even tighter for you,should get something though :drunk:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)

London and Surrey now in the red take action zone :drunk:

I don't see Greater London in the red zone?

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

I see that the MetO has now turned Surrey red for very heavy snow (not far to my west), in line perhaps with the slight shift east by 12z GFS and NAE tonight of the heaviest snowfall - you can see the 12z GFS and NAE charts that i've posted side by side in John H's blog.

Posted

Quite right TEITS, I think Thursday favours your location far more then this one, of course worth remembering any snowfall that does settle is going to staying the course once it all ices up, so any top ups will just add to the depth of the snowfall even after it compacts somewhat.

I think its safe to say this has been NW busiest ever day by some way!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer & Snowy Winter

From various sources:

BIG UPGRADE FOR HERTFORDSHIRE, BEDFORDSHIRE, BUCKINGHAMSHIRE

yahoo.gif