IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Cold Winters & Warm Dry Summers

London and Surrey now in the red take action zone :unknw:

Posted

My temperature here is 0.1c dewpoint -2.3c

If it rains here I will be shocked and just a tad p****d off to put it mildly

Been off sick for two days and was looking forward to this , at least we now appear in the extreme area now !!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T/Storms, Snow, Extreme Rain, Anything out of the ordinary!

and the people at the met office obviously know nothing about the weather? wallbash.gif

Obviously you would hope they do, but why do they seem to be so off the mark when widely higher totals have been predicted, (I know its nowcasting at the mo)?

Are you in agreement that London will only see 2-5cms?

Posted

Snow seems to be falling in southampton, looking at the traffic cams, as soon as the heavier ppcn comes in it will be less marginal even on the coasts

Posted

Also fully as expected the Met office have gone ahead and upgraded the threat to regions just west of London, also heavy snowfall progged for Guildford, which as Ive said will make gettin to Guildford very interesting, I may just take the train instead of driving...

Posted

Re raintoday's zooming issues:

Due to the exciting snow events over the coming days, Meteogroup are extending the preview of RainToday Premium until Sunday 10th January 2010. To try and accommodate as many users as possible viewing the snowfall, we may temporarily disable zoom or pan features.

Small flurries are popping up around East London and Essex it seems - hope they build up :unknw:

Posted

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/se/se_forecast_warnings.html

Absolutely knew this was coming earlier on....I deserve a medal

Red now for most home counties and more of the SE.

I do expect this risk still to transfer a little further East and south but as i said and make no mistake the home counties are really in the firing line tonight....

Posted

My Davis Vantage Pro weather station has been saying for hours now "Mostly cloudy and cooler. Precipitation possible within 12 hours, possibly heavy at times. Windy." :yahoo:

Herts and London really have been saved at the death. GFS stuck by its guns, no one believed it but it came out on top and NAE backtracked.

Posted

Having been too far north earlier, I now feel I'm a bit too far east for the major snowfall. Still, shouldn't escape without an inch or 2, perhaps more depending on how things develop.

Posted

London and Surrey now in the red take action zone :yahoo:

Surrey is. London is still orange unless my browser has cached or something???!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Obviously you would hope they do, but why do they seem to be so off the mark when widely higher totals have been predicted, (I know its nowcasting at the mo)?

Are you in agreement that London will only see 2-5cms?

london generally sees lower totals than the surrounding areas..so whilst places like bucks and herts may receive 20cms inner london may only get 5cms..nothing unusual there

Posted

http://www.metoffice...t_warnings.html

I do expect this risk still to transfer a little further East and south but as i said and make no mistake the home counties are really in the firing line tonight....

what about west sussex do you think west sussex will get an upgrade into the red?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

London and Surrey now in the red take action zone :yahoo:

London is in the orange zone. And Norfolk and Camb's are now green?

Posted

Also fully as expected the Met office have gone ahead and upgraded the threat to regions just west of London, also heavy snowfall progged for Guildford, which as Ive said will make gettin to Guildford very interesting, I may just take the train instead of driving...

LOL don't bank on it Kold take it from someone who travels the route every day by train..... if the snow pushes all the way into the London area from Surrey which seems likely... trains around here notoriously come to a stand still

Posted

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/se/se_forecast_warnings.html

well the mets latest update has taken Peterborough off the warning altogether now, my location is now a horrible green.......... :yahoo:

Posted

Low pressure that formed earlier over W.Wales decaying and should start to become absorbed into the developing LP, quite clear cyclonic circulation occuring as well just east of Hereford which sits nicely with the 12z suite.

Any marginality will be erased as soon as the strong precip comes up, strong precip going to be nudging into our area over the next 2-3hrs, going to be a fairly slow process as the LP is currently slanting the angle of the fromnt more to the north but once it starts to clear the same latitude as the front the whole lot should push more NE/N quicker...

Posted

May be..just Maybe...we will see something out of this...its -2 here again at the moment. It did get down to -3.4 last night...wind has slightly picked up from the north east...BRING IT ON ***

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

london generally sees lower totals than the surrounding areas..so whilst places like bucks and herts may receive 20cms inner london may only get 5cms..nothing unusual there

Suburban London can get a lot of accumulations, but central London always struggles unless its well below freezing. Last night Heathrow was about -6c and central London was -1c. A 5 degree difference in just a few miles. Urban Oven Effect.

Edited by danm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

I would sooner have 5cms of snow than sleety rain, as I said - anything can happen in these events, even rain!.

Posted

LOL don't bank on it Kold take it from someone who travels the route every day by train..... if the snow pushes all the way into the London area from Surrey which seems likely... trains around here notoriously come to a stand still

I'll have to reveiw it tomorrow, see how badly it does snow, obviously if it really does come down its going to be difficult to get there no matter what way I travel...

As long as marginality isn't too bad I'm pretty hopeful for about 2-3 inches here.

Finally, worth noting for those SW of London, the front really does look rather potent, could well see 5-10cms in the space of an hour quite easily looking Aat the strength. The front should keep this strength up as long as the LP is developing and maturing.

Posted

Well mate i work in Putney as a train crew and i can insure you i will try me best to get in but if the buses go down before 8am im staying home.