Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
Surely it's not asking for to much for that area of heavy snow hitting the South East (which have already had tons in the past few weeks) to move about 50 miles further north than forecast and slam into us :p

I'm pretty sure now that it'll move futher north than thought. Maybe not much, though, just enough to get to Birmingham and then sink south.

Edited by Hailsowen

Posted

Oooh yeeeah! 18z GFS continues the trend and stalls out the LP for another few hours, towards 12z tomorrow....Bring on that wrap-around!! :p

fingers crossed! and the snow just keeps on falling here, light to moderate, but its still accumulating. more possibilities of snow later in the week anyone? :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Will it extend west at all? Am just on the edge of it at the moment...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Snow has now completely stopped, got a very nice covering. And unless the very heavy PPN south east of Brum makes a monumental push north that's my lot by the looks of it. Wouldn't rule out getting clipped by it but I am very satisfied with what I have :p

yeah I am as well, think weve done well, ignore rest of UK, still snowing here but not for long I assume,

focusing on thu-sun now with the easterly, gfs hopefully trending the way of ecm and ukmo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

And I do find it amusing that the vast majority of my snow fell AFTER the Met Office warning expired :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

will it extend west at all? Am just on the edge of it at the moment...

edit - oops sorry for double post!

Edited by Serendipity

Posted

Radar says 'NO'...Lampost says 'Yes' :whistling:

Really strange night I think coming up. Really difficult to say how far north this ppn is going to go. 'Segments' of this band look like they have already parts of Leicestershire (perhaps even Leicester).

Could it go futher north...yes in my opinion. However, the difficulty is now that it is starting to pivot. However, if the low pushes further north, there appears to be some good ppn on the eastern side which may carry through.

Difficult. Very difficult.

Posted

Looks like we are struggling to tap into the heavier snow at the moment. I'd expect that to change in the coming hours providing it continues to head northwards as the band pivots.

Over Hampshire the radar is beginning to pick up the odd cell indicating 16mm per hour of snow and a wider group of cells indicating a snowfall rate of 8mm per hour!

An exciting night of radar watching & lampost watching ahead. :whistling:

Looked promising for a good while earlier but that LP scuppered most of our snow prospects and it pivoted too early to the SW... bugger

Posted

lol? wut? you sleep on the streets or summut? bloody tramps...i tell ya! :lol: :whistling:

Ahahaha no! I live just off church walk where home bargains is there's some houses round the back!

Posted

Will it extend west at all? Am just on the edge of it at the moment...

it will west but what most want to know is 'how far north' will this get, my guess is about say... from Leicester at very most with a line drawn to kidderminster, SE of that we should see some more from that main band from the south, but there will be sporadic snow over the whole region for most of the night, notwithstanding 'pep' ups hither and thither.

Posted

Just seen the MO radar- there's a nice NE-SW band of heavy precip in mid-Wales with a spur to the S Shrops hills; Shrewsbury is nicely in the middle of the triangle it forms. This is just about the final straw with this town- time and time again for 20 years it's snowed just about everywhere else but to hear all these 10-20cm reports outside a 20 mile radius of here I've finally had enough. Think I'll be sending job applications to well, everywhere else soon wallbash.gifwallbash.gif

lol, well i work in shrewsbury , and i don't think they will believe me in the morning and say that i can not get in due to the snow !

Posted

I know this is a really overused phrase and not very scientific but the sky really does look full of it I have to say!

I hope it is and starts dropping it on us NOW!!!!, by the shed load :):)

Edited by Frank

Posted

Really struggling to get going here... just been light for the past hour, really only a dusting on bits and pieces left from this mornings light stuff.

Posted

Ahahaha no! I live just off church walk where home bargains is there's some houses round the back!

omg, i know there!! blimey i walked past your house not 2 hours ago!!!, looks great tonight out there doesn't it?

I have 11cm of level snow here, how are you doing?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Looked promising for a good while earlier but that LP scuppered most of our snow prospects and it pivoted too early to the SW... bugger

You must be getting something ?

Very very heavy wet snow here for 4 hrs not about 3/4 inches

Perfect for snowmen cold.gif

Posted

I'm glad to say that the 18Z GFS sticks to it's earlier pattern and slows the low heading south, helping our chance of a further decent hour (at most) snowfall in the south midlands. And for me as well, along with the south west Birmingham area.

so do you think it will reach the s/w midlands then? and when will it get here?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Work... Cold but clear. Fun.. 12" of snow!

It looks like it's gonna make to leicester to me .. I can get excited now .

Many thanks for the positivity, just push it another 15 miles SE !