Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Partly cloudy with sun poking through from time to time. Ideal weather to prevent snow melt. Not that its going to go anywhere at 0.1c! Will go out and take some pictures. But here's a recent picture of the table biggrin.gif

post-6181-12627776624952_thumb.jpg

Posted

GFS under does precipitation in form of showers, it always has. The NMM at higher resolution is perfect.

When it comes to bands, the GFS picks them up pretty well.

And i'm not surprised at all with met office giving you a warning, check my earlier post this morning. Very cold upper 850's strong easterly flow, coming over a warm North Sea = High convective showers, especially with the flow so strong the showers don't loose their intensity.

Lewis

Where can I see these NMM charts?

I no what your saying but it just doesnt look right to me, http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn541.png if you see the flow isnt that strong are we are mainly under the influence of high pressure which will kill shower activity, we need the easterly to be like more like this chart I showerd earlyier http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Recm961.gif .

Posted

I can see snow in the distance to the east of Leeds but nothing over the centre.

Posted

The ECM and UKMO are far better than the GFS for our snow prospects, and i would actually side with them as well (not just because they show the best) I tend to think the UKMO is good for short range while the ECM very good for medium and long range. The GFS good when it wants to be, mainly during our default atlantic weather. I think most of our region has a risk of wintry showers till Sunday smile.gif

Edited by mark bayley

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

Weird, on the radar the showers coming ashore North of Flamborough Head don't seem to die and then give York a pasting. However, those coming ashore South of Flamborough Head seem to die before they get to Bev and Hull.

Have a look and you will see what I mean. I can see the next lot now but it appears they are doing the same as I can see the tops of the clouds and through the base which has very little precipition!

Posted

Where can I see these NMM charts?

I no what your saying but it just doesnt look right to me, http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn541.png if you see the flow isnt that strong are we are mainly under the influence of high pressure which will kill shower activity, we need the easterly to be like more like this chart I showerd earlyier http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Recm961.gif .

NMM charts are on the Netweather Extra subscription.

Regarding Friday i said that the areas to receive more in the way of snow are Eastern areas of Yorkshire and NE Lincolnshire.

Saturday - West Yorkshire, and South Yorkshire will do very very well, along with the Derbyshire area, I'm tipping Derbyshire to get another 10cm during Saturday, and North Yorkshire moors to get another 8cm. East Yorkshire, Could be the same or possibly more, depends on distribution of the showers, and their direction.

Check the charts for Saturday mate, perfect flow;

post-2644-12627782239752_thumb.pngpost-2644-12627782368552_thumb.pngpost-2644-12627782476152_thumb.pngpost-2644-12627782582252_thumb.png

post-2644-12627782669652_thumb.png

Lewis

Edited by Storm Force Lewis

Posted

Morning mate.The main roads seem ok and it's currently sunny.

Cheers for that. Trains are running okay at the moment so I have to travel to your neck of the woods. There has been no snowfall here for a few hours now.

Posted

NMM charts are on the Netweather Extra subscription.

Regarding Friday i said that the areas to receive more in the way of snow are Eastern areas of Yorkshire and NE Lincolnshire.

Saturday - West Yorkshire, and South Yorkshire will do very very well, along with the Derbyshire are, I'm tipping Derbyshire to get another 10cm during Saturday, and North Yorkshire moors to get another 8cm.

Check the charts for Saturday mate, perfect flow;

post-2644-12627782239752_thumb.pngpost-2644-12627782368552_thumb.pngpost-2644-12627782476152_thumb.pngpost-2644-12627782582252_thumb.png

post-2644-12627782669652_thumb.png

Lewis

I hope so mate.

I think for you in east yorkshire/linconshire the flow is just about perfect. But id like to see the easterly further north, I just dont think its far enough for north/ west yorkshire to get a good feed of showers. Hopefully the trend will be for the gfs to upgrade nearer to the time smile.gif

Edited by Jed Bickerdike

Posted

It's currently 0.5ºc, with 6 inches of snow on the floor and cloud out to the north of us.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 6ft snow or 30°C sunshine...

Looked out of my window 5 minutes ago - sunshine, partly cloudy with the emphasis on blues sky rather than cloud. Look out now - completely clouded over and light snow shower starting. Looks to be moving from the North East - is this what brought the heavy snow to Leeds a bit earlier?

Posted

Another very nice shower atm. The winds are a bit stronger today, so the drifting is really enjoyable :whistling:

I'm tempted to take the dog for a walk

Posted

The Met Office don't seem to agree, i had to laugh when i saw the latest update this morning

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_warnings.html?day=1

Don't know what your trying to show there, but the metoffice does show East Yorkshire and Lincs in prime position along with West Yorkshire. Warnings seem fine too me.

Lewis

Posted

Snowing here. Got a nice blob on the radar. :whistling:

Going very dark now here too, should be a good dumping in a minute - I'm in Hemingfield, South Barnsley

Posted

Going very dark now here too, should be a good dumping in a minute - I'm in Hemingfield, South Barnsley

Im in Royston, (south/west york border).

Had to laugh went out with my daughter for a walk the roads thick with slush cars crawling, council in the graveyard gritting it!! :whistling: