Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: rubbish boring weather

It is not a polar low firstly, secondly the main set of showers have not come in to the region yet.

Please try to have some patience before having a dig at forecasters.

Whether it is a TRUE polar low or not many bbc forcasters have been calling it this including our own Michael Fish. Hence i can understand people calling it one. Secondly the forcasted showers from earlier have changed, the band came down south far quicker than expected.

On a cheery note we now have a few little flurrys on the coast now.

Posted

It's amazing how a very small cloud when you look at it (about 6" wide) can deliver heavy snow. That's what just happened here.

Getting dark to the N of me now. Incoming shower again I think...

Posted

Thanks for that. Hopefully the cold surface pooling will not be mixed out and make it marginal. Especially for my area at the Estuary mouth. Sea temp is down a couple of degrees as well. Down to 8c I believe so that may help if any onshore winds were to develop. Still a little concerned I must admit though. As Kold said last night, It could prove marginal for coastal areas.

And I bow to Kold's superior knowledge but I would be staggered if that was marginal in that currently progged airflow - as pure and as screaming an easterly off a very cold siberia - mind you, the 528 dam line looks a bit of a tinker but I don't think that has great relevance in that set-up as surface temp will be so cold.

Posted

So nobody know's what the hell is happening at the moment?

Snow was forecast for this afternoon (media saying otherwise now?)

We had over 1hr of heavy snow this morning, which was unexpected and not forecast!

Despite the odd flurry the radar looks quiet, instead of being alive which it should of been?

Very confusing.

Edited by LeighShrimper

Posted

I work from home anyway.. some people say this is a good thing in this weather but unlike the people who can't make it into the office - I still have to work !!pardon.gif

Yeah I know what you mean, WFH is good and bad, hoping to get out for some sledging but I have an afternoon of conference calls :(

Looks like the snow didn't get as far as Worthing!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Really hot or really cold

Lol. Not often we get powder snow here. It should be celebrated to be honest. Even though it's not good for snowballs and snowmen!

exactly what I explained to them plus the fact they are off school,

I remember walking to school in snow up to my knees freezing cold didn't get snow days then if you fell on the ice you were told to be more carefully lol

Posted

Must admit I am getting a tad concerned now looking at the latest radar, seems the NW winds are pushing what showers there are into the North Sea and doesnot look to be that much energy (Maybe due to the Low not behaving as it was modelled)

Maybe their 4km latest model guidence has changed the Output and that is why the Beeb's forecasts are not showing much in the way of shower activity for later this afternoon :(

Paul S

Posted

It's all going wrong over at the BBC!

are we expecting anything this way in herts and beds ?

Posted

Micheal fish on radio kent has just said that there is a possibility we can use the word "BLIZZARD conditions" for sunday in the south east due to the biting easterly wind and heavy snow

Posted

Must admit I am getting a tad concerned now looking at the latest radar, seems the NW winds are pushing what showers there are into the North Sea and doesnot look to be that much energy (Maybe due to the Low not behaving as it was modelled)

Maybe their 4km latest model guidence has changed the Output and that is why the Beeb's forecasts are not showing much in the way of shower activity for later this afternoon :(

Paul S

Yep. Exactly what I was thinking. This low is not moving towards land at all. It's just spinning away happily 100 miles off the Norfolk coast. Dragging around NW winds inland and pushing the showers away from us, not towards us. We need the low to start moving SW and sharpish as its decaying at a rapid rate.

Edited by LeighShrimper

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Yeah I know what you mean, WFH is good and bad, hoping to get out for some sledging but I have an afternoon of conference calls aggressive.gif

Looks like the snow didn't get as far as Worthing!!

It has stopped in Brighton now too. However according to the MetO radar, Brighton may get some more light flurries any time now.. I say may because we are right on the edge of the ppn - unless it shifts a bit west!!

I hope you get to go sledging - I hope to at some point today too cold.gif

Posted

Yep. Exactly what I was thinking. This low is not moving towards land at all. It's just spinning away happily 100 miles off the Norfolk coast. Dragging around NW winds inland and pushing the showers away from us, not towards us. We need the low to start moving SW.

If we all get some string I'm sure we can tug it southwestwards? :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

No more snow here in MK (yet) but no sign of a thaw either despite it being a lovely morning with blue sky and sunshine, bitterly cold though with a very icy wind chill.

I have some very pretty icicles on my conservatory, I think this is because of the heat from the inside though.

post-10773-12628644715652_thumb.jpg

Posted

If we all get some string I'm sure we can tug it southwestwards? :(

Think that's our only hope now!

Still plenty of time to change its track. But the fact BBC have now back-tracked, say's it all I think...

Strong and gusty east wind here (Norfolk Suffolk border)

Bright sun , then cloud and heavy snow, then sun

minus 1 and rising

Laying snow is being picked up by the wind and starting to drift, looks like shifting sand on dunes

Oh and look at the sun flare on the attached.......is there not the easter bunny's face on show?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

BBC fail.

More like Met Office fail.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms

Wot is going on then on BBC?

Even Jonathon Ross has left the BBC today, lol......suns still shining