IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Streamer!!!!!!!!! :)

Posted

Unfortunately do not think this shower activity tonight will hit London....Its just to North/

Easterley in wind direction.

We need the wind to veer more Easterley to bring those showers our way.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Hi Nick, is that tonight?! :)

No Sunday :)

Posted
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand

Welcome KK, my mum's flying to Auckland this evening, think she's looking forward to a bit of warmth. :)

Meanwhile, I just want to get a bit of sledging in :cold:

Thanks Jezzer. Lucky her! How long is she over there for? It has been really nice over the summer so far and everything is really dry, although the forecast is looking a little cloudy/rainy for her first day there but should get better after the first couple, reckon the warmth should be a real shock to the system anyway, even with rain/cloud.

Has she been there before? If she hasn't might just be worth mentioning the potential humidity; it can be really oppressive at this time of year if the days are calm, certainly far more so than over here. Also probably the bigger thing to watch out for is that the UV is extremely strong at around 12 to 14 on the UV scale during the summer and burns very quickly even under heavy cloud (ie less than 10 minutes without suncream), might catch her out, especially after not having much sun over the last few months here.

Apart from my doommongering on those topics :lol: hope she has a great time, it should be really lovely and I can't deny I'm jealous!! :yahoo:

Cheers :drunk:

Posted

Some nice showers in the North Sea which look like they could penetrate well inland!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Exciting weather!

Thanks TWS. I agree with regards slush etc. Most upleasant.

snowing quite heavily again :yahoo:

Posted

Another one just come through Lowerstoft, reckon that will be ours later shrimper?

Yeah, I see that shower.

Line look's good at the moment. But if that NNE/NE wind picks up, we could see showers in that area heading more towards Rayleigh/Benfleet/Pitsea way... Will keep an eye on that wind. It makes things so localised as we know :yahoo:

Posted

Blimey...44 parts...of largely absolute drivel, with people posting stuff like 'Is kent near Bristol' and 'massive downgrades in the tv forecasts wallbash.gif ' and reams of txt spk and other such inanities mega_shok.gif

though I love the genuine excitement of those who do see snow falling from the sky, and it seems to be for people of all ages, a real contrast to the news reports who seem to see snow as an evil being which has no place in this global warming hippie society we live in. Thank god for Rob Mckelwee eh cool.gif

anyway, those in kent are catching up a bit from not getting as much as other areas [like mine] got on tuesday/wednesday but towards Sunday more of us should see snow coming further inland as the east wind picks up and any weakening of the cold spell looks very hesitant and half baked. A real blast from the past this winter and tbh its been the best one I can remember whatever happens in the future. It is also worth bearing in mind that tv forecasts are moe about trends rather than details as far as snow is concerned especially with regard to those dodgy graphics the BBC now use, looks promisin though for those south of the M4 generally

enjoy it guys, you dont get many winters like these, and tbh I find it encouraging that we can still get a cold/severe winter in this day and age, when many people thought it was impossible smile.gif

Posted

"Is Brighton going to get some white stuff soon as cant get on the raintoday radar,help lolcc_confused.gif "

yes brighton will get some in a couple of mins, eastbourne will get a pasting. but looks to miss us in lancingwallbash.gif

post-10842-12629719159442_thumb.png

maybe some light snow showers hitting lancing in the next hour or so!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and hot in summer

can anyone tell what its like in gillingham kent. out to night thanks in advance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

That temp has really stone dived outside , feels bitter compared to earlier

Posted

maybe some light snow showers hitting lancing in the next hour or so!!!

Cool,its only flurrys here at the mo,not sure if we will see much.Lets keep our fingers crossedtease.gif

Posted

Streamer!!!!!!!!! :drunk:

Yes, I see that on the NW radar going through Whitstable, Canterbury etc. I'm at the base of it and about 10 miles West. Does it stay the same width or is there some other effect as it hits the coast? Sorry for the silly questions :yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

though I love the genuine excitement of those who do see snow falling from the sky, and it seems to be for people of all ages, a real contrast to the news reports who seem to see snow as an evil being which has no place in this global warming hippie society we live in. Thank god for Rob Mckelwee eh cool.gif

Certainly that seems to be the case around UEA at the moment, I've had a few people complain to me about the snow and ask if we can have those traditional mild drizzly south-westerlies back, but they have been vastly outnumbered by the people (ages ranging from about 18 to about 50) sledging, skiing, chucking snowballs and building snowmen.

Opinion across the population is probably divided more like 50-50, but even some of the people who are getting tired of it are still able to make the most of its redeeming features.

If we get snow rather than slush and muck from Sunday's event in Norwich it will be a long, long time before I tire of it on the evidence of the wonderful day I've had today.

Posted

Yet to see a flake here in the Sevenoaks area from this evening activities, really need to see the winds veer slightly more Easterly for us to receive anything of note, although that should hopefully happen as the night progresses.

Seems to me as thought Maidstone and similar areas in Central Kent are currently the sweet spot for Kent/Sussex with this wind direction...

Posted

Cool,its only flurrys here at the mo,not sure if we will see much.Lets keep our fingers crossedtease.gif

tommorow night maybe for some heavier stuff according to the BBC but you now how they keep changing their minds lol!

Posted

Tomorrow night still has time to upgrade PPN, as what happened the night before the 17th