Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

3 Counties & Ea Cold Spell Discussion Part 4

Posted

A bit of a heatwave here this morning. Temps already up to 1.8C and all our lovely snow is melting and most of the icicles have fallen off our roof. So much for this so called severe winter, we had one fall of snow in December which lasted a few days and then melted and one fall last Tues/Weds which has lasted just a few days and is now melting!

Yep , despite some fairly impressive overnight low temps here and around 6 inches of snow in the past week its still not been what i would call a severe cold spell in this area anyway. Things certainly aint like they used to be. But its been better than the usual mild trash weve seen over the last 20 years or so.

Posted

Will be plenty of snow up in the peak district hills and many hundreds and me will be enjoying it rather than beating themselves up in front of a computer screen.

Get out and enjoy what you've got

Absoblumminlubtly :yahoo:

Posted

Bluearmy, no disrespect, but have you seen the HUGE area of ppn moving over the North Sea, Holland, Germany - looking at the British Isles radar will not show you the huge extent of it. All heading this way...

I must admit though Davie looking at its track it will only hit the Northern parts of our region

Posted

Bluearmy, no disrespect, but have you seen the HUGE area of ppn moving over the North Sea, Holland, Germany - looking at the British Isles radar will not show you the huge extent of it. All heading this way...

Which, going on previous ppn in that area, will split up and then disappear before it reaches inland

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

Yep , despite some fairly impressive overnight low temps here and around 6 inches of snow in the past week its still not been what i would call a severe cold spell in this area anyway. Things certainly aint like they used to be. But its been better than the usual mild trash weve seen over the last 20 years or so.

Bit disapponting her in northampton. Although its been unusually cold the past few weeks, we've had very little snow altogether and it feels like a missed opportunity. The temp is now +2 and a thaw is setting in. We still have an inch of lying snow, but that wont last for long if the temp keeps rising. Is that the end of this winter? Maybe.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely

what a balls up on this weekend forecast!!! how so wrong have the met o been...i said on my post on tuesday that this wont happen as the north sea is still to warm its 7c the sea temp,if it was middle of feb,then it might have been a different story

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Ice and cold sunny days with blue skies.

A bit of a heatwave here this morning. Temps already up to 1.8C and all our lovely snow is melting and most of the icicles have fallen off our roof. So much for this so called severe winter, we had one fall of snow in December which lasted a few days and then melted and one fall last Tues/Weds which has lasted just a few days and is now melting!

I agree. For us, this has been nothing like the predicted weather. Every time a massive ramping and then..............little or nothing. Max snow depth here at any time this winter less than 2 inches. Plenty of green tops of grass to be seen in the fields at all times here near Saffron Walden.

Edited by rodthrutheblock

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms storms and more storms

Well showers are still snow here in Ipswich!

Anyway, the first point to clear up, we will all see the ppn, there's no doubt about it - let's hope it's snow, as the winds veer more E instead of NE this will help the temps. There is a huge area of ppn heading for us, but its VERY slow.. It won't be here until later today. But when it gets here it will be very slwo moving, so as long as we see snow then this will certainly help with the depths. The clump of ppn to the NE of Norfolk is only a small part of the massive system heading this way - check out NSea radars etc!

Hi Davie - looking at the dutch radar it's huge but getting smaller all the time. Spending so much time over the see will warm it up as well. wouldn't get your hopes up too much. :)

Posted

Now that has got to be the silliest post I have read in a long time.

Why is it silly? I'm just saying exactly what's happened here, in this part of Herts, this winter. With the amount of hype going on in the media at the moment because of a bit of snow you'd have thought we've been in some sort of Siberian deep freeze for the last 4 weeks!

It's only because of the wash out winters we've had in recent years that people get surprised when we get a bit of snow and tend to overreact. I'm just being realistic and saying that around here it hasn't been severe at all. Current temp 2.1C and rising fast!

Posted

what a balls up on this weekend forecast!!! how so wrong have the met o been...i said on my post on tuesday that this wont happen as the north sea is still to warm its 7c the sea temp,if it was middle of feb,then it might have been a different story

not sure if one more month would make much difference to the north sea temp, but then again February can be a colder month than January and December, although the sun is higher in the sky and the days longer, so temperatures tend to not be quite as cold as in January. Maybe we will get a proper dumping of snow in February even if it doesn't last as long as the current cold snap. Northampton snow has been disappointing so far this winter, although we have had a few inches. I would rather have a big one-off snowfall which lasts a few days rather than the piddly little showers we keep having so far, although the cover has lasted for nearly a week now.

Lets hope the current thawing isn't the end of this winter.

Posted

Light drizzle here on the outskirts of Peterborough................... Smart

This area is now officially the most unlucky place for snow lovers this winter

Posted

Have you noticed it's breaking down as it heads over the North Sea?

Posted

There is PPN heading towards us but who ever recieves it may be to warm for it!

Hi,

If you read back to TEITS post, number 265, once the wind switches to an easterly later this afternoon/evening, the temperatures will drop away again and any PPN inland will fall as snow!

Edited by ickledoozer

Posted

Bit disapponting her in northampton. Although its been unusually cold the past few weeks, we've had very little snow altogether and it feels like a missed opportunity. The temp is now +2 and a thaw is setting in. We still have an inch of lying snow, but that wont last for long if the temp keeps rising. Is that the end of this winter? Maybe.

Hi Snowfreak, we had 5 or 6 inches on the ground this time yesterday ,but i reckon weve lost an inch of that overnight. It has been quite a good cold spell compared to recent winters , but having lived through the winters in the 80s this doesnt really compare at all. I think we will see the thaw continue this week but it still wont be what you would call mild. Still we are only half way through winter and February is usually our coldest month so still plenty of time left for more something special. Regards Billy

Posted

Hi,

If you read back to TEITS post, number 265, once the wind switches to an easterly later this afternoon/evening, the temperatures will drop away again and any PPN inland will fall as snow!

Hopefully that happens! Time to wait and see.

Posted

Hopefully that happens! Time to wait and see.

As usual!

I personally don't hold out much hope of anything significant making it to us, but a nice dusting and a frost will be welcome!

Posted

Why is it silly? I'm just saying exactly what's happened here, in this part of Herts, this winter. With the amount of hype going on in the media at the moment because of a bit of snow you'd have thought we've been in some sort of Siberian deep freeze for the last 4 weeks!

It's only because of the wash out winters we've had in recent years that people get surprised when we get a bit of snow and tend to overreact. I'm just being realistic and saying that around here it hasn't been severe at all. Current temp 2.1C and rising fast!

It's silly because you said "So much for this so called severe winter"

Winter isn't over by the 10th of January

Edited by lizzieloo202

Posted

Hi Snowfreak, we had 5 or 6 inches on the ground this time yesterday ,but i reckon weve lost an inch of that overnight. It has been quite a good cold spell compared to recent winters , but having lived through the winters in the 80s this doesnt really compare at all. I think we will see the thaw continue this week but it still wont be what you would call mild. Still we are only half way through winter and February is usually our coldest month so still plenty of time left for more something special. Regards Billy

Yep, your right, the snows of the 80's were really something and yes this winter has been a welcome change from the usual mild ones we have had in the past 15 years or so. I just wish we could have a 'real' winter storm with a good dumping of snow here in northampton. All we seem to get is showers and no real continuous snowfall. I doubt we will get any more now before the end of the current cold period. I can only hope we get a good snowfall before the end of February, even if it only lasts a few days. Once we're into March I think the prospect of any substantial cold and snow quickly diminishes.

Posted

It's silly because you said "So much for this so called severe winter"

Winter isn't over by the 10th of January

I'm talking about the winter so far and I really hope you're right that it it isn't over yet. The trouble is that by the middle of February the strength of the sun is such that any snow cover we get rarely lasts long, so that doesn't leave much longer for a 'severe winter' to occur.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Exciting weather!

Light flurries of snow all morning here, a slow thaw around the house though .

Posted

Its 2.8c here now so has risen by 0.6 in less than an hour.

Janet

Rising here in northampton too. now +2. I always thought easterly winds brought low temperatures and snowfall. Why isn't this happening?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely

not sure if one more month would make much difference to the north sea temp, but then again February can be a colder month than January and December, although the sun is higher in the sky and the days longer, so temperatures tend to not be quite as cold as in January. Maybe we will get a proper dumping of snow in February even if it doesn't last as long as the current cold snap. Northampton snow has been disappointing so far this winter, although we have had a few inches. I would rather have a big one-off snowfall which lasts a few days rather than the piddly little showers we keep having so far, although the cover has lasted for nearly a week now.

Lets hope the current thawing isn't the end of this winter.

yep true,but saying that last feb when whole of the east and south east got snow..here in Norfolk we got hardly any it was mostly sleet

Rising here in northampton too. now +2. I always thought easterly winds brought low temperatures and snowfall. Why isn't this happening?

puzzled too...the met must be to..if your out of the wind it does feel so much milder. 2.1c at 11.00.poss see 3c next 2 to 3 hrs then will be having rain

Posted

Currently 1.7c here with a dewpoint of 0.1c, both rising.

I've read back and apparently we had snow during the night, but you wouldn't know looking out the window as there is a thaw here too and the patio is completely clear as well as all the snow on the plants. I would say just under 0.5in in the heaviest area.