Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

3 Counties & Ea Cold Spell Discussion Part 4

Posted

The band is getting larger enough to cover EA and the SE, been tracking the snow from Germany joining the Holland snow now and swinging into this band, some thunder snow over Germany aswell. Great watching this even if I dont get any snow out of it, thats what its all about not just the snow lovers at the window. Im sad I know lol

Would be great if that blob comes across. Big downgrade from BBC on radio just now. Not much to come for our area, including SE, but heavy snow predicted for Pennines/ North Yorkshire. Also a thaw setting in over Eastern Britain. :nea:

Posted

Good morning all. Unfortunately that band of ppn crossing the North Sea is driven by the high pressure system to our NE. That means the track will back away clockwise from SE England. We've also lost the -10 850hpa's. Any ppn for this region looks increasingy marginal.

Not to worry, plenty of opportunity still to come thos winter. It is after all not yet the middle of January!

ffO.

Posted

What radio 4 ? Ah well at least I will get some good sleep during the night now, so much for the icy snowy conditions continuing are you sure it was not for later in the week temps were predicted to rise slightly?

Posted

What radio 4 ? Ah well at least I will get some good sleep during the night now, so much for the icy snowy conditions continuing are you sure it was not for later in the week temps were predicted to rise slightly?

Well they did say over the next few days and into next week. As was just posted, still plenty of Winter to come. :)

Posted

Well I guess it is/was marginal, as it has been sleet/light rain most of the night, eroding the snow quite considerably, although theres loads left, just down the volume we had in the first place. Although when precip gets heavier, it is falling as snow - just had a heavy snow shower.

Edited by ribster

Posted
  • Location: Ormesby St Margaret - Nr Gt Yarmouth / Work in Norwich

Norwich seems to be thawing at the moment. Mainly rain wiith the odd flake here at the moment.

Overall we have had lots of snow over the course of the week, it's mainly fallen ovenight though. And cerainly has not felt particulalry remarkable except for the lenght.

Definitely better than the last few winters, but considering I had been waiting for a southerly jet and the fabed Greenland high I am left wondering what all the fuss is about.(From a purely Norwich based perspective)

Massive blob just to my east though, and it's pepping up according to the radar a heavier shower may turn back to snow still.

And it's till only the 10th January so lots of the winter still left!

Posted

morning all 1.1 here but that blob how coming from holland looking good

http://www.meteox.nl...on=-1.845703125

could be fun soon!!!

post-4629-12631099403542_thumb.gif

Edited by tinybill

Posted

If anything there was a slight thaw here too last night. Hopefully when the band arrives it will bring colder temps with it.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Morning everyone,

NO SNOW over here in the far east (of MK) last night, I got up several times to check, infact the night before lasts light covering seems to have thawed from my car and driveway, still have plenty of lying snow though and some really impressive icicles !

At the moment it's overcast and dry and feels milder (although I've only been out as far as the back door) however the wind seems to have picked up considerably, are we possibly going to see something later today and into Monday ?

Have a chillaxin' Sunday lazy.gif

Posted

Morning everyone,

NO SNOW over here in the far east (of MK) last night, I got up several times to check, infact the night before lasts light covering seems to have thawed from my car and driveway, still have plenty of lying snow though and some really impressive icicles !

At the moment it's overcast and dry and feels milder (although I've only been out as far as the back door) however the wind seems to have picked up considerably, are we possibly going to see something later today and into Monday ?

Have a chillaxin' Sunday lazy.gif

Yes there are two bands of snow in the North Sea heading right for us...

If anyone lives right on the coast, dont expect anything more than sleet

Posted

Heavier snow shower now, and still nothing on the radar.

Posted

I dont know how much snow will fall out of these bands, the further north the better. Maybe 2-5cm

Posted

That front seems to be stuck over the Channel - I can only guess it must have taken the Eurostar :p

Posted

what ever in that blob from holland we should know in an hour or so if it dont breck up when it hit the coast

Posted

Morning all , its been thawing here overnight but had two brief showers here this morning which started as sleet but turned quickly to snow. Im only 7 miles from the coast so places a little further inland may still get snow today instead of a sleety mix. Regards Billy

Posted

It doesnt look like southern counties of EA will see much in the way of snow today, unless the PPN takes more of an ENE, which I sort of hope it does!

Posted

Well my 2cms that I have had from this whole cold snap (only got that yesterday) is vanishing fast, was secretly hoping to at least get another cm or so but alas got lots more NO!

Still I am sure some one will raise my hopes again with this cold spell tradition of saying it will be our turn tonight or tomorrow ............... :unknw:

Posted

OK.

So since last Thursday, the beeb, sky, ITV, local weather, Netweather were all talking about a major snow event Sat night ito Sunday and beyond, this did get a little downgraded by all parties, but the beeb and members on this string, plus the general output string were still predicting some snow for all!

I am no expert, but from watching the europe radars and charts, this was looking unlikely from yesterday morning but no-one said, Sorry Guys, its all off and if anyone gets any snow in EA and the 3 counties then you will be lucky if its more than a dusting.

Please, can anyone explain, where did it all go wrong? I need to know so I can understand the potentials in these situations so I can always temper any forcast views with the possible alternative.

Plus, Corwall and Devon seem to be getting hammered on the Radar and present, opps, that was not 4cast either.

Thanks

Posted

Plenty of cloud all night and into the morning...all empty :unknw: Stupid question from a weather science ignoramus but can forecasters tell the difference between cloud and cloud with stuff in it?

Posted

Checkout this Radar loop of the last 24hrs for the UK, showing just how unlucky we were here in EA and the 3 counties.

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-app/radar?CONT=ukuk&CREG=ukuk&LOOP=1&LTYP=tag&LANG=en&STRUCTUR=_&W=0&L=0&SLP=0&ROAD=0&CITY=

Posted

I think everyone on here shares in the bitter disappointment waking up this morning. A quick check of the radar suggests that the continuous snowfall all day is just not going to happen. Infact quite a quick thaw seems to have set in. I havent been out yet, but i guess its still cold out there. Just seen the BBC news and they are still predictitng up to 20cm of fresh snowfall in the next 48 hrs.!!

That clearly isnt going happen, the front has stalled in the channel and is not making much progress.

So how come all the experts, and the experts on this site went with the heavy snow for sunday.?

Is there anyone who still believes this major event is still going ahead - alas just delayed for several hours ?