Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

3 Counties & Ea Cold Spell Discussion Part 4

Posted

Well at least my teenage daughter thought it was funny when the wife just stormed into the living room and yelled, "I thought you promised me six inches last night" :whistling: !!!

Posted

Well at least my teenage daughter thought it was funny when the wife just stormed into the living room and yelled, "I thought you promised me six inches last night" :whistling: !!!

:lol:

Posted

I think everyone on here shares in the bitter disappointment waking up this morning. A quick check of the radar suggests that the continuous snowfall all day is just not going to happen. Infact quite a quick thaw seems to have set in. I havent been out yet, but i guess its still cold out there. Just seen the BBC news and they are still predictitng up to 20cm of fresh snowfall in the next 48 hrs.!!

That clearly isnt going happen, the front has stalled in the channel and is not making much progress.

So how come all the experts, and the experts on this site went with the heavy snow for sunday.?

Is there anyone who still believes this major event is still going ahead - alas just delayed for several hours ?

Hmmm.

As with my question posed, the more experienced, kmowledgeable members have gone quiet.

I seems the good old British weather has 'stumped em all'

No one is to blame, I suppose the weather is just always going to remain one of natures trump cards!!

Enjoy the Slush/overnight ice aggressive.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

Biggest let down in history.

some on here did try to prepare you for it.... :whistling:

Posted

This lot has been building and steadily marching towards us. Hopefully it'll have the right path for us a bit further south. I have no doubt Cambs north will definitely see something. If it can arch NE-SW then we may be lucky...

http://www.buienradar.nl/

Edit: My confidence in the arc hitting us is increased after I just checked the wind direction on xcweather. The front is moving WNW/NW but the wind is NE/ENE.

Edited by Wayneywoo

Posted

I wasn't aware there was going to be a snow event last night at all (haven't watched TV forecasts for a while now). The radar is fairly clear over our region but precipitation will come eventually later today.

1.0c now, slow thaw but eventually it'll drop below freezing again and everything will turn lethal.

Posted

Temperature somewhere between 0 and 1C but there are some light snow flurries here. In fact for a few minutes it has changed to moderately heavy snowfall, but has just stopped as I type this.

Now if someone could remove that precipitation barrier that appears to be in place in the North Sea thirty miles off Yarmouth......

John

Posted

rofl.gif

Well at least my teenage daughter thought it was funny when the wife just stormed into the living room and yelled, "I thought you promised me six inches last night" shok.gif !!!

Posted
  • Location: Ormesby St Margaret - Nr Gt Yarmouth / Work in Norwich
  • Location: Ormesby St Margaret - Nr Gt Yarmouth / Work in Norwich

Lots and lots of little snow shower. Absolutely nothing overhead on the radar. (why is that?)

Temps seem to high for it to lay so I am off out for a drive.

Posted

Nearest weather station saysit's 1.6*C. Completely overcast, I'm surprised there aren't a few flakes in the air really. And that system coming over from the Netherlands...how slow is it?! Though I suppose that's a good thing when it hits us :(

Posted

I think the key to the failings of the forecasts are here; http://www.xcweather.co.uk/. Wind direction is NE not East as predicted.

Once this becomes Easterly then its game on for our region. I expect it will veer eventualy and give us a 24hr window for convectie snowfall. Some may recall my post yesterday saying "Some poor sods are going to be stuck in the dry zone" Unfortunately thats the central belt of this region for the next few hrs. I still expect at least 5cm by tommorow and it may be the case that we haven't lost any opportunity its just been delayed so the Easterly will now start tonight and carry on until Tues morn. Country tracks forecast will be interesting. I expect them to be very vague beyond Weds! Can someone you tube it or post screen shots as I'm heading out.

Chin up Dan this is half the fun! Sometimes we get less than expected and sometimes more!

Edited by Tim Bland

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice

Will be plenty of snow up in the peak district hills and many hundreds and me will be enjoying it rather than beating themselves up in front of a computer screen.

Get out and enjoy what you've got

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

People! The ppn will get here, look at the massive area of it moving towards the whole region, it's just delayed! My only concern now is temps, a slight thaw here - just gna hope the band of ppn brings some colder temps with it!

Posted

I have been off the forum for a while. I am sure it has probably been said elsewhere but why has Essex been dumped from this thread? Essex has more natural affinity to East Anglia than it does to south of the Thames.

Habsish

Posted

Well some might be surprised but my forecast still looks ok. Some will remember I did say the main action for us will be Sunday evening into Monday morning and this remains the case.

During this afternoon the winds veer E,ly and this will bring heavier precip into the region. Based on the model runs I would say W parts of this region are likely to do best from this especially NW parts of this region. The reason for this is heavier precip and further away from the coast.

The only downside is the ENE,ly did bring slightly higher temps than I thought and less precip last night. However my current temps are 1C and my DP has finally dropped to 0C. So away from the E coast much of the precip will fall as snow later on.

Posted
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL

Have to say looking at the radar and charts im not hopeful of seeing anything remotely as bad as what had been originally forcast. Your going to be lucky to see any snow let alone 5-10cms. The front that was sitting in the channel hasn't made it accross and all the precipitation is in SW england heading NW into Ireland. It remains overcast all the way back accross the northsea into the Benelux area where the cold feed is coming from, so with no sunshine the hope of anything convectgive forming over the north sea is worrying also. :)

Posted

Much less cold here on the Suffolk coast this morning with temperatures slowly rising. Already at 2.3C, from 1.7C at 7am, and the snow is thawing steadily, aided by recent rain showers.

Edited by Paul B

Posted

I have been off the forum for a while. I am sure it has probably been said elsewhere but why has Essex been dumped from this thread? Essex has more natural affinity to East Anglia than it does to south of the Thames.

Habsish

Thought we had got over this a few days ago :)

It is very very easy to switch between the two threads, in fact I have just read both of the last pages in both threads in under 2 Minutes :)

If you want to see how it is going in Norfolk and Suffolk come in here, If you want to see wether the precip is coming from Kent then go to the London & SE Thread.

North Essex is East Anglia and SW Essex is in Greater London, so we have to split somewhere

Many Thanks

Paul S

Posted

Not sure if I've got the method right but here's a current shot of our garden.

John

post-10725-12631166197642_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Habsish

I'm a few miles south of Suffolk and agree, but don't care as long as people don't have an issue with me posting here.

Posted

Much less cold here on the Suffolk coast this morning with temperatures slowly rising. Already at 2.3C, from 1.7C at 7am, and the snow is thawing steadily, aided by recent rain showers.

It's amazing the difference a few miles makes, because we've had very light snow showers the last hour or so, rather than rain. There has definitely been a steady thaw though, but hopefully these will start to drop off this afternoon as the delayed precipitation moves in.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Light snow here. Slightly surprised, as would have expected sleet.

Even though I'm a mile from the coast, there is a large fetch of land in a NE'ly - maybe that's helped?

Looking forward to Country Tracks too.

My hunch is that this cold spell is starting to run out of steam. There might be a brief interlude of atlantic weather, which will affect this region, but the cold will come back later - maybe next weekend?

Edited by Speed67

Posted

It's amazing the difference a few miles makes, because we've had very light snow showers the last hour or so, rather than rain. There has definitely been a steady thaw though, but hopefully these will start to drop off this afternoon as the delayed precipitation moves in.

I'm blaming the North Sea or the Nuclear Power station at Sizewell for my temperature rise, or maybe both! :)

Posted

Thought we had got over this a few days ago :)

It is very very easy to switch between the two threads, in fact I have just read both of the last pages in both threads in under 2 Minutes :)

If you want to see how it is going in Norfolk and Suffolk come in here, If you want to see wether the precip is coming from Kent then go to the London & SE Thread.

North Essex is East Anglia and SW Essex is in Greater London, so we have to split somewhere

Many Thanks

Paul S

I disagree. Spent the last few weeks monitoring the progress across east anglia. Threads being posted every few seconds on occassion. Now I am expected to monitor two threads. What was happening south of the Thames has little relevance as to what affects EA as a whole. Seems that most other organisations keep Essex with this sector of the country.

I suppose hard luck mate you are stuck with it.

H

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

I think the key to the failings of the forecasts are here; http://www.xcweather.co.uk/. Wind direction is NE not East as predicted.

Once this becomes Easterly then its game on for our region. I expect it will veer eventualy and give us a 24hr window for convectie snowfall. Some may recall my post yesterday saying "Some poor sods are going to be stuck in the dry zone" Unfortunately thats the central belt of this region for the next few hrs. I still expect at least 5cm by tommorow and it may be the case that we haven't lost any opportunity its just been delayed so the Easterly will now start tonight and carry on until Tues morn. Country tracks forecast will be interesting. I expect them to be very vague beyond Weds! Can someone you tube it or post screen shots as I'm heading out.

Chin up Dan this is half the fun! Sometimes we get less than expected and sometimes more!

I'd agree that the more northerly component to the wind is what scuppered us...it was something I'd been concerned with for a couple of days and made me wary of the forecast.

To be honest I'm not expecting any great shakes from the Countryfile forecast... if anything I think we might be hearing that the cold spell is coming to an end!

Mind you, on current form, this wouldn't perhaps be a bad thing for the BBC to tell us. :)