Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

3 Counties & Ea Cold Spell Discussion Part 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

Now the met office are stating widespread snow england and wales, this may sound really silly earth rotates clockwise..????

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Think driving lessons in the snow should be a part of learning to drive. I think that the reason for all the drama around snow is due to the fear of driving in it. I dont like driving in the snow myself much but while I was having driving lessons there was no snow to drive in.

Janet x

Totally agree, I took my test on a 'snow day' I had never driven in it before then, still managed to pass somehow.

I do get nervous driving in it even though I have a 4 x 4, but it's everyone else who scares me excl.gif

Posted

I recall TEITS saying earlier today that it is possible that we will "grow our own" precipitation overnight as the front passes over the sea. Hopefully that will happen and we will not have to purely rely on that current band behaving itself!

Fingers crossed that will happen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

As I feared, it looks too marginal- every chance of a slow thaw tomorrow followed by a week of ice underfoot as the resulting slush refreezes at UEA Norwich, unless things somehow turn around.

Was I the only forecaster in the universe who picked up this marginality 3-4 days out? I don't normally like blowing my own trumpet, but I'm pretty sure everybody else said it was going to be powder snow tonight.

Posted

There is still a few hours for it to change direction out at sean can any 1 clarify wind speeds 30 mph and a NE ?

info from Here

Wind Direction (WDIR): ENE ( 60 deg true )

Wind Speed (WSPD): 13.4 m/s about 26 knots about 30mph

Air Temperature (ATMP): 3.2 °C

Visibility (VIS): 9.3 km

Wind Chill (CHILL): -3.7 °C

Posted

Well it is now midnight here and I am still very fully dressed!! lol

Guess we'll always have tomorrow! (Mods should rename our thread to be called "waiting for tomorrow"

Posted

As I feared, it looks too marginal- every chance of a slow thaw tomorrow followed by a week of ice underfoot as the resulting slush refreezes at UEA Norwich, unless things somehow turn around.

Was I the only forecaster in the universe who picked up this marginality 3-4 days out? I don't normally like blowing my own trumpet, but I'm pretty sure everybody else said it was going to be powder snow tonight.

No I mentioned this many days ago in the London/SE thread.

Still 0C here with DPs of -1C.

Posted

Maybe that was wishful thinking . . a bit like we are all wishing for snow tonight but secretly thinking it may not happen x

Posted

Well it is now midnight here and I am still very fully dressed!! lol

Guess we'll always have tomorrow! (Mods should rename our thread to be called "waiting for tomorrow"

You are VERY lucky that someone didnt climb a lampost near you and throw some snow downwards lol

Posted

info from Here

Wind Direction (WDIR): ENE ( 60 deg true )

Wind Speed (WSPD): 13.4 m/s about 26 knots about 30mph

Air Temperature (ATMP): 3.2 °C

Visibility (VIS): 9.3 km

Wind Chill (CHILL): -3.7 °C

Hmm as I thought 30 mph I wonder, I just wonder. Still hopefull when the main band gets out to Sea.

Posted

No I mentioned this many days ago in the London/SE thread.

Still 0C here with DPs of -1C.

You are quite a bit colder than I am then . . . 2c here now dewpoint is seemingly -0.7 . . . NE wind currently 6mph

Janet x

Posted

You are VERY lucky that someone didnt climb a lampost near you and throw some snow downwards lol

lol, I thought I saw1 solitary flake. then realised it was one that had blown of my porch roof!! lol

TEITS - Any good news for us poor snow starved desperados?

Posted

Pat on the back there like, wait and see bonny lad.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Still, if the snow in Norwich does get heavier it will probably start to settle.

I can't claim to have predicted where would and wouldn't get sleet or snow- it was a very difficult call to make, and still is, because temperatures are set to get even more marginal tomorrow but on the other hand precipitation is set to get heavier which could help drag those temperatures back down.

We'll just have to see what we get tomorrow morning, but personally I think I'll be lucky if I still have 10cm or more tomorrow morning, let alone my guesstimate of 15cm or hopecast of 20cm!

Posted

Think driving lessons in the snow should be a part of learning to drive. I think that the reason for all the drama around snow is due to the fear of driving in it. I dont like driving in the snow myself much but while I was having driving lessons there was no snow to drive in. Thats my thoughts anyway others may not agree. We are going to get told off for going off topic soon but with not much going on it will turn into a ghost town unless the next lot of snow comes.

The ppn starting to cross the channel seems to heading further north than me and only little showers coming towards ea

Janet x

I grew up in Cornwall. How would I ever have got to drive in snow? The first time I drove in deep snow I did fine (aged about 22 then) I was in a 17.5 tonner delivering to shops on Dartmoor. When I got back to base I learned everyone in the warehouse had left about 3 hours earlier and had got stuck in gridlocked traffic.

Point is it his normaally pretty localised if and when you get stuck. It is no different in the Summer if there is an accident

Back to weather, Francis on Sky has just suggested dusty snow only and has been pretty good so far this last few weeks IMO. Being an old git, I remember when he was written off as "eye-candy" on breakfast telly (when it was a new invention)

2c here now, cloud cover and a feeling in the air that it is dying to snow but just can't manage it

Radar shows the ppn tracking West fizzling. Bit like Norwich at the moment...... snizzle, drizzle, fizzle

As most nights recently, I am probably going to wake up with a top-up

Cheer up all, a week ago we were discussing 10 ten dayss of cold, a mild interlude and then an even colder period to finish off January (Joe laminate flooris's report?), seems pretty much to be following the script to me

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

As a newby here from hertfordshire, wanted it to throw it down with snow, everyone stop wondering its snowing But its NOT, light flurrie earlier thats it, wind gusts picked up a bit though. However the met office convinced its gonna SNOW. ???whistling.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

Just got home from work, and am horrified as to what is going on. There are snow flurries here in St Ives, the local weather station is reading 1.9 C DP -5.7, and rising. I don't think that the DP can be right. There is nothing showing up on the radar anywhere near here, also the snow in the Channel is mostly turning to sleet.

Unless something really changes out there I think the BBC will have a ton of eggs on it's face in the morning lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: April!

The massive icicles that formed on my guttering today are now dripping away merrily so temps are definitely on the rise......

At least I won't have to spend tomorrow attacking them by hanging out of the bedroom window wielding a broom like I was doing earlier today!

Posted

Just got home from work, and am horrified as to what is going on. There are snow flurries here in St Ives, the local weather station is reading 1.9 C DP -5.7, and rising. I don't think that the DP can be right. There is nothing showing up on the radar anywhere near here, also the snow in the Channel is mostly turning to sleet.

Unless something really changes out there I think the BBC will have a ton of eggs on it's face in the morning lol.

Good God.. snow in St ives?? Ive heard it all now!!! lol hehehh