Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & Se Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

I'm pretty sure its forecast to go that way, when im not 100% sure though. I got hit bang on by the Feb09 one, i think that was ENE.

Naaa, can't be right. Feb 2009 I got hit well but I always thought we needed Easterly. Currently Heathrow is reporting a Northerly @ 010 degrees. That's according to NOAA as I have no wind vane.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)

Looks like the ppn is moving in from the ENE on the last three NW radar runs now (over London that is), so maybe things are finally looking realistic for the snow.

Famous last words eh???

Edited by Sno' problem

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm sunny Summer days and deep snow in Winter with everything in between

I'm pretty sure its forecast to go that way, when im not 100% sure though. I got hit bang on by the Feb09 one, i think that was ENE.

Got hit by that too, was a memorable night! London is still waiting for similar in this spell. rolleyes.gif

Posted

So I've been skiing in Switzerland, hence my absence from the forum throughout this most exciting recent period. I have been following the maps and the comment here, but due to very slow, dodgy (and stolen) internet connection out there, I never commented. I heard we had loads at home though.

Having arrived back (after 15 hours travelling), I am stunned. There is more than a foot of snow here. I measure accurately by the way. There is heaps. Heaps. Driving through Tunbridge Wells it was very snowy, roads white and everything else well covered, but at some point in the 15 minute drive south east from there, it mounted up to unbelievable levels. Drifts up to my knees, four foot long beast icicles on the house, snow piled everywhere. Apparently snowed heavily all day today again.

Photos have been taken. More will be taken tomorrow. They will be posted.

Posted

The weather forecast on bbc 1.. still says that our snow will be coming from the area of precipitation just out in the north sea. On the Net Weather European radar at 23.15 this expanse of precipitation seems to be imense? Could someone look at this and tell me what they think?cc_confused.gif

Posted

Anyone else think our area of Snow moving up from the South East is over 100 Miles West :D:) Run the radar and look South of Portsmouth, definately moving North West, i think the Met Office Warnings need to be put on the other side of the Country for Hampshire, Dorset, Devon etc

Lol what a Cock Up!

Paul S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm sunny Summer days and deep snow in Winter with everything in between

Night all, hope to wake up to a surprise! Fingers crossed

lazy.gif

Posted

Anyone else think our area of Snow moving up from the South East is over 100 Miles West :) :) Run the radar and look South of Portsmouth, definately moving North West, i think the Met Office Warnings need to be put on the other side of the Country for Hampshire, Dorset, Devon etc

Lol what a Cock Up!

Paul S

Haha very true! I wasn't really expecting much till tomorrow, but currently light snow here just outside of Portsmouth :D

Posted

Anyone else think our area of Snow moving up from the South East is over 100 Miles West :(:( Run the radar and look South of Portsmouth, definately moving North West, i think the Met Office Warnings need to be put on the other side of the Country for Hampshire, Dorset, Devon etc

Lol what a Cock Up!

Paul S

blooming weather!

Posted

Anyone else think our area of Snow moving up from the South East is over 100 Miles West :(:( Run the radar and look South of Portsmouth, definately moving North West, i think the Met Office Warnings need to be put on the other side of the Country for Hampshire, Dorset, Devon etc

Lol what a Cock Up!

Paul S

To be honest Paul the whole BBC Met office call on this one is turning out to be a shambles????

Posted

Paul was it not progged to enter there then pivot ne? With the heaviest stuff on the east flank. If not then agreed, what a balls up by all the pro's. Coming down a treat here btw.

Edited by LeighShrimper

Posted

Well, using the scary radar (the traditional view) the ppn, although light, is building slightly as it gets to London and there are still a few flakes falling, so things might be on the up.

Have been taking those optomistic pills again!

Posted

Paul was it not progged to enter there then pivot ne?

In 1 Word

NO :(

Was supposed to enter towards Kent, Sussex and Estuary affecting these places first and then move across the Country, gaining strength in places like Dartmoor, Cotswolds, and Higher Places with a bit of Uplift further North.

As CV Said above - A total Shambles!

They would not get away with this in the US, They have there Thunderstorm warnings to within 25 Miles of a Point!

Must now go to bed, have a Snowball Fight booked in with 3 Little Girls tomorrow AM

Paul S

Temp here is about -1C - we haven't had any snow here tonight despite the promises made - the snow level has decreased since the last fall, despite the fact that we have not really got above freezing - blame sublimation and today some of it has been blowing around in the wind.

See that some is forecast for later today but with a high of +1C - that's not nice - it means wet stuff instead of nice dry fluffy stuff. Sorry I am pedantic about my snow.

Ideally what would suit me would be a 30 to 40 mph NE, continous moderate to heavy snow for some 6 to 8 hours with a temperature not exceeding -5C, then in the spring a sudden ammelioration to 21C, gradually increasing to say, 30 to 32C in the summer with mostly blue skies and the odd thunder storm. :(

Posted

Naaa, can't be right. Feb 2009 I got hit well but I always thought we needed Easterly. Currently Heathrow is reporting a Northerly @ 010 degrees. That's according to NOAA as I have no wind vane.

Surface winds and upper winds can be different though ? I never rely purely on surface winds when Im trying figure things out.

Posted

Ideally what would suit me would be a 30 to 40 mph NE, continous moderate to heavy snow for some 6 to 8 hours with a temperature not exceeding -5C, then in the spring a sudden ammelioration to 21C, gradually increasing to say, 30 to 32C in the summer with mostly blue skies and the odd thunder storm. :(

Couldn't agree more!!

Edited by Sno' problem

Posted

To be honest Paul the whole BBC Met office call on this one is turning out to be a shambles????

I knew this would be the case. Turning out? It will be a shambles. LOL. Weather advisory for Monday has gone, they should be looking at removing the advisory for most parts tomorrow too.

Posted

Being on the coast I am prepared to accept there will be a thaw. But whatever happens what a brilliant run 26.5 cm level snow in a sheltered table in the garden, not quite the magical foot but bloody marvellous all the same. Will get out early and finish the igloo and let my son know we are renting out his room and he can live there from now, am sure it will be alright with a carpet and some furnishing :(

Posted

lol, imagine the looks on the faces of those in south/west when they wake up to 15cm of snow. What a joke. Enjoy though chaps!

Posted

will have to see what happens over night as the warm front is in the english channel might produce something for us who knows!! lol No one haha :(

Posted

Lol what a Cock Up!

Paul S

lol yup, and my god was anyone looking at that MetO Invent tool today? has been doing very well at picking out the main convection areas but utter disaster today.

YTS boys left in charge at the MetO today while people claim back there overtime from the last 6 weeks.

Posted

its the first time i have noticed this tonight but the sky seems rather orange here in gravesned? i don't think its quite all over for us yet. Not sure feel that something may be in the pipe line. fingers crossed.