Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & Se Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

its the first time i have noticed this tonight but the sky seems rather orange here in gravesned? i don't think its quite all over for us yet. Not sure feel that something may be in the pipe line. fingers crossed.

Same here I don't think this is over yet, just an unexpected fall for the sw! Only light (ish) tho mind you (I think)!

Posted

Bed time. Hope the meto are embarrased with themselves. How could they get it so wrong at such a short timeframe. T+6 is now FI...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Is anyone else slightly confused by the radar and whats going on here? In the past half hour light snow has been falling in London. It seems to have come up from the SE and is moving in exactly the same direction and speed as the showers that are moving into Central Southern and SW England, almost like it is part of a weather front. But the weird thing is that it seems to have gone over the stream of showers the are moving in a NE-SW direction over Kent and Sussex. How can that be possible? Apart from a small strip of Kent, this easterly/north-easterly has really turned into a damp squib. Very disappointing.

Edited by danm

Posted

Something brewing in the Channel at the moment, looks interesting, seems to be building nicely

Yep and heading into CS/SW to dump on them, looks like we're just going to get transcient chaff coming out of Kent here in London. You might get the odd heavy burst down there and as ever Kent will probably do well.

However the temps look like turd to me so that might put a spanner in the works, even if the precip gets going.

Posted

Been snowing very light here most of the night now. But looking at the radar things have burst into action but not heavy action, looks like the snow is proving once again to be best left to now cast. Anyone have any ideas as to whats going to happen now??

Posted

its the first time i have noticed this tonight but the sky seems rather orange here in gravesned? i don't think its quite all over for us yet. Not sure feel that something may be in the pipe line. fingers crossed.

yeah i have noticed that too :lol:

Posted

I think that will still happen, just the SW thing was a bit of the unexpected as it is the weather lol!

Posted

I don't get what all this is about a cock up. Look at the GFS ppn charts. This is right in line with them. A rough strip of showers, moving ne-sw passing through se'ern corner and then tomorrow morning onwards, moving gradually and probably patchily north. That band is currently fairly stationary. It's not exactly charging nw. Hopefully here in the se, showers will continue to move in off the north sea through out the night, and keep gradually topping up the powder.

Posted

I think that will still happen, just the SW thing was a bit of the unexpected as it is the weather lol!

Still snowing here

Posted

I don't get what all this is about a cock up. Look at the GFS ppn charts. This is right in line with them. A rough strip of showers, moving ne-sw passing through se'ern corner and then tomorrow morning onwards, moving gradually and probably patchily north. That band is currently fairly stationary. It's not exactly charging nw. Hopefully here in the se, showers will continue to move in off the north sea through out the night, and keep gradually topping up the powder.

MEt office had taken off Monday, (i've just noticed it.)

I think we'll see more snow powder shower tonight but maybe not as much as first predicted All good fun this weather buisness! Hey! :lol:

Urban blown torch firing up in London - now up to 2c (probably only in the very very centre though)

Light snow and 2c temp is not a good recipe if you want a pasting lol wallbash.gif

No it isnt. BTW, in mid Kent here it aint far off 2 deg C!

I would say the melt rate is beating the accuum now, even in this "favoured" position.

IOW, its melting faster than its falling! (Wonders if the warm front has moved over, as forecast, and just isnt causing any noticeable change in PPN, since we have been havng shwrs hr all day anyway!)

Posted

Current Temp here btw is 0.4 and Dew -1.3 on my waether station anyway

Posted

not likely to receive more than a few flurries here imo. still maintaining at -0.4 so avoiding the thaw so far..

Guest FireStorm

orange = light pollution (your streetlights) bouncing off low cloud. Nothing to do with snow -- sorry!

Snow clouds will give that orange glow for the reason you stated, so it is kinda to do with snow. It's what falls at ground level that is the pedantic part.

Ive yet to see rain clouds do the same

not likely to receive more than a few flurries here imo. still maintaining at -0.4 so avoiding the thaw so far..

Well, def, see my last post. Thaw has been on I would say most of the day. Whereas prev, there was enuf sno falling to beat the melt, there isnt any more here in Mid Kent. I think the "!big freeze!" might have peaked, you know!

(Which breaks my heart if it gets the local councils out of trouble for spunking all our council tax away instead of having enuf grit to look after us!)

Posted

I agree with statements about stuff brewing Portsmouth to Plymouth, I think they got thier PPN forecast 100/150 miles out!

Also radar showing light stuff just popping out of nowhere N West London and moving and expanding into Oxon.

As I stated earlier, I think Kent & London peeps can shut down the PC's....Panto's over,

Edit: Just been out for a quick cough and a drag, light snow is mixed with drizzle and a thaw is on. In fact I wouldn't bother sending the kids out in the morning to play in it, they'll stay drier in the bath! It's gone disgusting. 4" of mush!

Edited by Halling Weather