Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

I notice that on the general forecast for tues/weds the met office has temps of 5 and 6 degrees yet heavy snow forecast??? Bit warm??

Rather worryingly is the amount of people who seem to have lost afith in the ukmo warnings, which rather makes it's dangerous if events do blow up

woody

woody

Posted

lol Bruce Willis eh? well i would watch it if Richard Gere or Mel Gibson or that guy from the Holiday Jude Law I think were playing you..... but Herbie sounds great. lol

We could call it

SNOW HARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I notice that on the general forecast for tues/weds the met office has temps of 5 and 6 degrees yet heavy snow forecast??? Bit warm??

Rather worryingly is the amount of people who seem to have lost afith in the ukmo warnings, which rather makes it's dangerous if events do blow up

woody

woody

GFS has -1 and -2s over Wales over night tuesday into wednesday

Looks like the heavy precipitation will struggle to reach here looking at those faxes. Sigh. Better for those further S though.

The further south the precipitation the more chance we will get something.

Very interesting indeed that the FAX chart is not that similar to the GFS operational chart.

post-213-12631558469342_thumb.png post-213-12631558489242_thumb.gif

http://en.vedur.is/weather/forecasts/atlantic/#teg=temp Jamie, this is the Icelandic site with the Precipitation from the ECM

Posted

Still light flurries here......... at this rate, by next february we could have a covering....yahoo.gif

Thanks Ali - maybe they could make a hollywood film about how a guy and his car were parted in a snow storm only to be reunited again after his epic trudge to go and get a towing eye for it - Bruce Willis could play me and the car could be played by "HERBIE" and maybe you could play Bruce's gf

If you look on the meto's radar then take a look at Ireland - I think that's where all our snow for today has ended up - it looks like Ireland has nicked our snowfest!

How dare they take our snow????Bruce sort it out.

I'm very doubtful that Wales will get snow on Tuesday...It seems that in Britain whenever there is a battle between mild and cold air, the mild air wins quickly. Also many forecasts are predicting temps above zero e.g 3s,4s and 5s.

Sometimes they do sometimes they don't. In Febraury 1996, there was 18 inches in Ebbw Vale and 4 inches for higher ground locally. This was the set-up.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/1996/Rrea00119960206.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/1996/Rrea00219960206.gif

Posted

Still light flurries here......... at this rate, by next february we could have a covering....yahoo.gif

LOL, I know same.

Mind you we still have plenty of lying snow, inches infact.... but some surfaces have been shoveled and dried up in Sun.

Posted

possible! but, Joe B on accuweather reckons a basking mad hotter than hot summer this year - once again all to do with this blocking set up which is set to continue

Feeling hot hot hot - feeling hot hot hot

better to start building your swimming pools now - but cautionary word the blizzards and cold will follow again and again for the next couple of decades!!!!!!!!!!! - so invest in snow mobiles - snow chains and 4 x 4s

Posted

Sometimes they do sometimes they don't. In Febraury 1996, there was 18 inches in Ebbw Vale and 4 inches for higher ground locally. This was the set-up.

http://www.wetterzen...00119960206.gif

http://www.wetterzen...00219960206.gif

this recent cold spell has not been your standard (ie like the last 20 years) winter cold spell - it's been a lot more severe regarding the cold so this means tuesday to wednesdays event will have a good chance of dumping a lot of snow in wales

Posted

possible! but, Joe B on accuweather reckons a basking mad hotter than hot summer this year - once again all to do with this blocking set up which is set to continue

Feeling hot hot hot - feeling hot hot hot

better to start building your swimming pools now - but cautionary word the blizzards and cold will follow again and again for the next couple of decades!!!!!!!!!!! - so invest in snow mobiles - snow chains and 4 x 4s

And a Towing Tie for a volvo....clap.gif

Posted

http://en.vedur.is/w...antic/#teg=temp Jamie, this is the Icelandic site with the Precipitation from the ECM

Wow, very deep LP in Atlantic on Friday.

Would the tightened isobars mean strong Northerly or Southerly wind according to that? :lol:

Posted

evening all

few flakes here in port talbot even if it is 1.8c tonight

just came back from pontypool as me mams boiler got a leak had one since friday morning

anyway she phoned torfean council as it is a council house at 8.00am fri to have it fixed

sun 3pm still not fixed so she phones me i phoned a mate he fixes boiler [we both went to pontypool]

as she is a oap i would ave thought they would sorted it out by now but they have not

so if anybody from torfean council is on here 2 fingers up to you

the moral of the story is she has not had heating since friday

it is trying to snow come on you snow

Edited by madian2

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Fair enough they made a mistake but as all of you know forecasting here is extremely difficult... we have to refer to these forums and nowcasting to give us some idea and at the same time using our local knowledge and even then things change and go wrong. People over at the Met Office will make some mistakes, like people in the real world do, like people on this forum do.

Quite- I am sick of all this BBC and Met Office slating it ruins this thread. I'm sure they are doing there best at forecasting something that is chaotic and rather unpredictable afterall. Its so so easy to pick faults.

Posted

Right thats it me and the kids av decided that we have not froze our you know whats off over the last 2 weeks and not aving lots of snow so we been out the back and danced on what snow we have left and our snow mans head fell off while doing it and i think that means we will have lots more soon to make a new head lol

i realy do feel in my guts and buy the way its quite big lol that we are going to have a big snow event some time this winter dont know why but just had this feeling for a long time in fact its been since 1982 lol.

even tho we cant talk much bout snow tonight still better than the tv

Posted

There are threads about Global Warming here http://forum.netweat...climate-change/

Everyone is more than welcome to contribute there.

Sounds good jackone i hope the front struggles to reach the midlands and sits on top of s wales 4to 6inc sound right ,how far north do you reckon it will reach jack one before it fizzles out?

Posted

I didn't think of that angle but you are absolutely right - the met office couldn't change their forecast of a mild winter just before Copenhagen otherwise they would have looked silly and the government wouldn't have been impressed either - along with that I suppose it's quite possible they are under the "governments agenda" so as to back up, like you said, their taxation policies. Global warming suits them right now even if it hasn't been 100% proved but if the winters over the coming couple of decades continue like this because of solor minima then the yearly CETs will drop and the global warming theory will go out the window and they'll have to find something else to tax us on

We are but one small part of the globe though. It is referred to as 'Global Warming' for a reason.

Posted

Right thats it me and the kids av decided that we have not froze our you know whats off over the last 2 weeks and not aving lots of snow so we been out the back and danced on what snow we have left and our snow mans head fell off while doing it and i think that means we will have lots more soon to make a new head lol

i realy do feel in my guts and buy the way its quite big lol that we are going to have a big snow event some time this winter dont know why but just had this feeling for a long time in fact its been since 1982 lol.

even tho we cant talk much bout snow tonight still better than the tv

I think your snow dancing will work and come wednesday morning we will all be struggling with a great deal of snow depths!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow

The further south the precipitation the more chance we will get something.

Very interesting indeed that the FAX chart is not that similar to the GFS operational chart.

post-213-12631558469342_thumb.png post-213-12631558489242_thumb.gif

http://en.vedur.is/w...antic/#teg=temp Jamie, this is the Icelandic site with the Precipitation from the ECM

Cheers for that bookmarked it now. The ECM also keeps the milder upper air away looking at it.

Light snow here....actually just had a very short lived heavy burst.

Posted

We are but one small part of the globe though. It is referred to as 'Global Warming' for a reason.

global warming is still an idea and not a proven fact - the earth has been around for millions of years and in that time it's warmed and cooled even without our influence but with much bigger influences like the sun and volcanoes etc. - And I don't believe the governments even with all their ideas can hope to control such a large thing as the earth's temperature.