Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 20:

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

I think there was a program on Discover about that (Survivorman???) He spent the night in a tent, and when they went to check on him he couldn't say how cold as his thermometer broke at -56!!! :nonono:

Oymyakon I think holds the record as the coldest habitable place on earth?

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/05/0512_040512_tvoymyakon.html

Thanks for that National Geo article - really interesting. It must be so tough living there, i don't think i could imagine surviving in temps down to -70 C somehow.

Posted

Yes it seems to be turning increasingly to wet snow here too. Not had a good look to see if there's anything settling yet. However if the trend continues this evening...

Settling on plants, grass & soil here now, as well as the cars. Paving & tarmac is too warm & wet as yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Traffic scotland cams seem to show snow from Aberdeen to drumochter and Fort William area. Nice to see some snow falling. Could be interesting at the weekend with the strong winds.

Posted

it look good for me in tue lots of snow showers with a northeast wind http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/4300?area=Galashiels

lol but long way off yet

Looks the same for East Lothian too!

Posted

Thanks for that National Geo article - really interesting. It must be so tough living there, i don't think i could imagine surviving in temps down to -70 C somehow.

Don't think I would want to find out. I have experienced the other side. Spent 2 years living in Botswana, 150 miles east of the Okovango Swamp near the salt pan (Dad was on Diamond Mine) and we regularly hit 50C, very dry. In all 2 years I can honestly say never saw a cloud. Pretty boring weather, just extreme.

I see from the model thread, as LS great update that the beasterly may be starting to rear it's head again. :lol:

Posted

Botswana sounds like a great place to visit. I love South Africa and would love to travel elsewhere. PM me if you can (not sure if i've set up the correct settings yet ) with any info if you don't mind. do you think its a good place to visit for a holiday?

Yeah Ls is great, definitely looks promising, just in time for me leaving the country!

Posted

Quick report, but will be back tomorrow..

driving home at 5pm through very wet sleet, have just finished work and looked outside there is about an inch of the white stuff lying on all surfaces.. trees are white again already, thought it would take a wee bit longer than that to lie after how wet it was earlier!

temp +0.6C DP 0

PS: it is still snowing, and it's very wet stuf

Edited by Snooz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Botswana sounds like a great place to visit. I love South Africa and would love to travel elsewhere. PM me if you can (not sure if i've set up the correct settings yet ) with any info if you don't mind. do you think its a good place to visit for a holiday?

Yeah Ls is great, definitely looks promising, just in time for me leaving the country!

Lived in nigeria for 5 years as a child. Savanna to the North. Contrary to my current wishes, we absolutely loved rain there. Was dry for 9 months of the year, so when the rainy season came it was party time. I recall smelling the rain (the air becoming moist) well before you could see it. Then watching a wall of water moving across the land, up the dry road, then crash onto the porch. Incredible. we used to roll about in the mud and make mud sculptures etc. Very exciting for a child to grow up there, although my sister and I both caught bilharzia swimming in a river.

Has some amazing countryside (Jos, Yankari), however not super safe and very corrupt. Was a bit dodgy then, but would not recommend it now unless you are very streetwise and not travelling alone.

Botswana is apparently very nice to visit and on the whole very safe.

Anyway, back on Topic. As usual thanks to LSS for the updates. I see no reason not to be generally pleased/excited about the prospects for the next week. Just rain here for now, but T's slowly on the way down. We even still have a little snow in the garden, but it was hit really hard in the last couple of days.

Snowdrops appearing - they seem to think it's spring. Poor things if it snows heavy again!

Quick report, but will be back tomorrow..

driving home at 5pm through very wet sleet, have just finished work and looked outside there is about an inch of the white stuff lying on all surfaces.. trees are white again already, thought it would take a wee bit longer than that to lie after how wet it was earlier!

temp +0.6C DP 0

PS: it is still snowing, and it's very wet stuf

Good to see you back. You see - my forecast method worksbiggrin.gif

Heading up to the St Fergus terminal on Wednesday for a meeting with Total; could be fairly wild by that time!

Posted

Lived in nigeria for 5 years as a child. Savanna to the North. Contrary to my current wishes, we absolutely loved rain there. Was dry for 9 months of the year, so when the rainy season came it was party time. I recall smelling the rain (the air becoming moist) well before you could see it. Then watching a wall of water moving across the land, up the dry road, then crash onto the porch. Incredible. we used to roll about in the mud and make mud sculptures etc. Very exciting for a child to grow up there, although my sister and I both caught bilharzia swimming in a river.

Has some amazing countryside (Jos, Yankari), however not super safe and very corrupt. Was a bit dodgy then, but would not recommend it now unless you are very streetwise and not travelling alone.

Botswana is apparently very nice to visit and on the whole very safe.

Anyway, back on Topic. As usual thanks to LSS for the updates. I see no reason not to be generally pleased/excited about the prospects for the next week. Just rain here for now, but T's slowly on the way down. We even still have a little snow in the garden, but it was hit really hard in the last couple of days.

Snowdrops appearing - they seem to think it's spring. Poor things if it snows heavy again!

Good to see you back. You see - my forecast method worksbiggrin.gif

Heading up to the St Fergus terminal on Wednesday for a meeting with Total; could be fairly wild by that time!

Spent first 15 years in South Africa so understand the wall of water theory, 4pm every day in Summer see it coming on the horizon, 8 pm been and gone, and left sweating like a good un'. Also had droughts etc.

Snowy will PM later with details about Botswana

Posted

Thanks SS & Cheggers really great to have your views.

Raining here too at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Nothing here but a strong breeze. Good to hear snow is about.

Aye. Seems the futher North you go the more you see it slowly arriving. Looks very wintery at Slochd traffic cam. Reports on this thread from Abderdeen, and futher north, snow on heavy at helmsdale cam near the coast.

A good wintery feb and calm slide into a warm spring would do me fine.

Here's to the coming week. May it bring snow...drinks.gif

Posted

I see the 18Z has started a frenzy on the Model Thread, talk of Huskey's needed!!!! :blink:

Off to land of nod, hope to see at least a nice frost in the morning for a change.

Edited by Cheggers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Seriously amazing output tonight. Steve Murr almost peed his pants when he saw the 18Z and ensembles! I doubt the western Isles crew will be all that excited about easterlies, but 87 type snow is entirely possible if things continue to go our way. This coming after the winter we've had so far is pretty stunning http://91.121.94.83/modeles/gens/run/gens-12-1-216.png?18 http://91.121.94.83/modeles/gens/run/gens-12-0-228.png?18 http://91.121.94.83/modeles/gfs/run/gfs-0-204.png?18

I'm overwhelmed really - couldn't have wished for more this winter!

LS

Posted

More good model output this morning although some on the model discussion thread will be nervous about the evolution the GFS takes - a low dropping north to south introducing a north easterly before probably getting to the easterly in the end.

The northerly has pushed in and should be with us over the weekend and probably through Monday before the Atlantic tries to push in.

For me, after the weekend is where it starts to get interesting as we have cold air across us, introduced from the north, a strong block to our north east that would like to move west and Atlantic fronts trying to move east. The GFS has a bit of battleground situation going on with heavy snow early in the week. This is how it looks on the fax chart.

PPVM89.png

Edited by Blizzardo

Posted

Just got up to find it has been snowing in the night and settled, and it is still snowing quite heavily. :p:p

Posted

Looking at the gfs this morning - where's the snow for Tuesday coming from as I'm not seeing anything ?:p

Edited by GraemeB

Posted

Breezy and cold, 0C...Very light snow overnight!

Exactly the same here, dejavu everything white again!

Looking at the gfs this morning - where's the snow for Tuesday coming from as I'm not seeing anything ?:p

Possibly from a slow moving front, could be hit and miss but definitely a chance:

post-2844-12647494263488_thumb.png

The FAX chart shows this as well, marginal at best though:

post-2844-12647495994888_thumb.png

The cold air should undercut to a certain degree so this would be snow at first and probably quite well into the precip band, at least over the hills.

Some hours later the precip heads south. Cold air puts up a fight.

post-2844-12647495255688_thumb.png

But later in the run the fronts move over to the east, not before a good bit of snow at least at altitude and with the east of Scotland most at risk. It is a highly marginal situation which may give snow over the hills only, or we may hit the jackpot and somewhere at low level could get a dump.

One to watch I think :p:) :)

Posted

Snowing when I woke up, and a light dusting of white everywhere starting to build up. Looking at the radar we are in the showery partof the northerly with heaps of showery stuff coming down from the NW.

Edited by LadyPakal

Snowing when I woke up, and a light dusting of white everywhere starting to build up. Looking at the radar we are in the showery partof the northerly with heaps of showery stuff coming down from the NW.

The showers are making it a long, long way south!! The clouds are dark and heavy here, and looking at the radar I wouldn't be surprised to see a few flakes at some point today.

In fact, looking at the radar the cloud I can see out my kitchen window is dropping snow to my east. Superb :bomb: :bomb: