Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 20:

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow

As the temp rises the humidty and dew point fall......

Currently at 0.7'C for temp

Hum: 57%

Dew Point -6.9 (and falling fast)

Come on the snow!!

Ooo, excited now... :whistling:

Don't get too excited, the vast majority of the showers seem to be staying out in the North Sea :( I do have my fingers crossed for everyone up that way though :)

I don't know where SatRep got the "Polar Low" thing from, it is a little confusing.

Posted

The swirl off Norway is the low pressure you can see on the models. The "Polar Low" is off/close to Shetland. I don't see much though, and as Pete says it is going the wrong way anyway.

I see it now. Looking at the time on the picture should have given me the clue. I was actually looking to the west side of that low pressure area and there is a round lump of cloud with what looks like a little hole in it. Could that be another one starting to form?

I see it now. Looking at the time on the picture should have given me the clue. I was actually looking to the west side of that low pressure area and there is a round lump of cloud with what looks like a little hole in it. Could that be another one starting to form?

I spend my life in winter looking at swirly clouds and none ever turn out to be polar lows.....it still doesn't stop me though :whistling:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm dry summers

Glad this thread is still open, they are all slitting their wrists and gnashing their teeth on the model output thread worrying about this phantom easterly that is still 10 days away.

Currently enjoying the frequent snow showers and the colder temps today, at the moment the snow has stopped and the sky is a deep blue, good frost tonight and cold winters day topmorrow with some sunshine and I will be happy.

SS2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

That bloody Easterly has been 10 days' out for about 10 days??? :whistling:

Posted

Been snowing here since about 7am. Left this morning to about 1-2", all white! Snowing again here in Banchory!! Looks like its going to be another renewed cold snap for these parts!! Yay!!! :whistling:

Posted

The tail of the low looks like it could clip the NE - the last time a PL clipped us we got a big dump of snow, so you never know.

Snowing here again - looking at thre radar the showers seem few & far between but it seems to be snowing more than not this morning.

Heavy graupel/light snow shower here. Everything has turned white apart from my face which is red after my earlier post of "nothing heading this way" :)

That bloody Easterly has been 10 days' out for about 10 days??? :)

Aren't they always?? Meanwhile, back in reality, we have a cold spell nailed on with nine inch nails for at least the next 100 hours. I can't believe that we have a slight covering here from a northerly, and that's just in the first part of the northerly. I know I've fluked it from a lucky shower, but that hasn't really happened before this winter in my time of serious weather watching (5 years).

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm dry summers

Was quite surprised with the drop in temps this morning, went to work at 0430 and it was 3c and at 9 o'clock it was 0c and snowing/graupelling new the Northerly was coming but have not seen this for a few years.

SS2

Posted

Lots of blowy/snowy showers this am, just as DS went out to school it became a blizzardy style whiteout, bet he wasn't best pleased

Last night around midnight with around 2inches of new cover it then turned to rain fort about an hour, which then subsequently froze allowing the new powdery to lie again, but also making the driving conditions absolutely treacherous, worse than the great big dumps as the ploughs could not beat the wind or traffic.. DH says lots more cars of the road this morning than in the last spell :)

in all there's still about 2" cover but obviously harder to guesstimate this time because of the blowing! like Northern Lights said it was all that was missing this winter, however it's not likely to be nearly as pleasant :) - Still snowing and blowing at present

the tail of that curly swirl does look somewhat like it might clip Aberdeen, going by fate probably right around teatime rush hour? - look out!! :)

Posted

Nice one Snooz. Inverness is just not in the best position at the moment.

Still sitting a 0C DP -2C and with a significant wind chill. No more showers since early this morning......bright and sunny.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Not a flake here today, but boy does it feel chilly. Biting wind chill and temp sitting around Zero!

Wonder if we'll catch a shower or two tomorrow?

Posted

Anyone else getting really bored of the "two week a way easterly" Doesn't matter how often they run it, it ends up east right at the end Deep in FI wallbash.gifwallbash.gif

Anyway was up in Aberdeen today so saw some proper beefy snow showers. Still have some on my car. Simple joys!!drinks.gif

Posted

Excellent model runs tonight with more agreement on the evolution from northerly to easterly. I feel that everything is now pointing towards another cold spell or very cold spell.

Yeah looking like some potential late next week......fingers crossed!!!whistling.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Evening all.

Biting wind here and T down to -1.4 C. Can certainly feel the northerly. Great to hear people are getting snow. I'm not in the least bit jealous. Not at all. I mean it. Honestly. Could not care one bit. I mean, who needs snow anyway, its all cold and stuff. mad.gif

Guess I'll just have to hope that "Polar Low" in the NS decides to swing my way. Probably will just swing close by, dumping a foot of snow half a mile east, with sweet FA reaching here.

Maybe I should go back to my wind turbine plan; phone scottish power and get them to run the turbines at soutra in reverse tonight, pulling the PL in towards me.good.gif

As for the model thread, I think all the hot air being generated in there is contributing to global warming. No snow? What on earth is stuff falling up north, scotch mist?

Posted

Getting a wierd sense of deja vu lookin out my window... :) Looks just like before xmas out there now.

Had a fun drive to pick up a package - just as a heavy snowfall caused chaos (dropped an inch or so in less than an hour, with drifting across the roads) - 2 wheel drive cars stuck on the dual carriageway hills, me weaving between them in the XTrail. Fun!

Ooo, snowing again! :)

Edited to add - yes, sick of 'the easterly this', and 'the easterly that', sick of ducking as the toys come flying :good: , sick of 'eating humble pie', sick of this smilie: :good: being used to excess... Blimey, I think I need a drink! :good::good:

Edited by LadyPakal

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Wow, managed a dusting this morningohmy.gif

Northerlies never deliver here, so I'm happy with that. Anyway, signs of a shortwave popping up at around 100 hours out bringing easterly winds and some snowfall

http://en.vedur.is/photos/atlant_evr_urkomuspa/100129_1200_90.png Uppers maybe a bit too high though http://en.vedur.is/photos/atlant_evr_hitaspa/100129_1200_90.png

I think the scepticism about the easterly is completely understandible given the last one fell through as well, but this time the ensembles and all the models bar the UKMO back it. Not saying it will happen, just that it is now the most likely option. Let's just enjoy the cold spell we've got at the moment and not worry too much about the next one.

LS