Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 20:

Methuselah

Posted

-2C and light covering of snow.

Lots of little showers coming down from the North but nothing in the way of heavy persistant snow forecast for today. The possible snow on Tuesday is going to be a little too far west......definitely marginal in our case.

We will wait patiently.....surprises happen and weather has a mind of its own!:bomb:

Light snow falling in Glasgow. I'm a bit surprised that the showers have not disintegrated from the north but not complaining.

:bomb:

Thanks for confirming my radar and window observations :bomb::)

That's twice this winter that snow has penetrated from the far north, usually it just fizzles out when it sees the Campsies and the Clyde.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Great to see snow reports beginning to come in.

Frost here this morning - still a forlorn little patch of snow lying in the garden from last time; looks like my gut feeling that there might be still some left when the next falls could still come true.

Looks like the Northerly is upgraded a little this morning; less atlantic ingress early next week?

Off to work now - will be back.

One last thought; if I leave my new shiny snow chains at home, that's bound to encourage snow?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Great to see snow reports beginning to come in.

Frost here this morning - still a forlorn little patch of snow lying in the garden from last time; looks like my gut feeling that there might be still some left when the next falls could still come true.

Looks like the Northerly is upgraded a little this morning; less atlantic ingress early next week?

Off to work now - will be back.

One last thought; if I leave my new shiny snow chains at home, that's bound to encourage snow?

If you do that then I'll take my wee boys sledge and put it back in the basement cupboard. Surely that'd be enough to tempt fate back in the right direction !

Edited by by-tor

Posted

Some snow grains here, falling out a passing cloud despite a 95% clear sky. Total snowfall in Leith there must be about 10 grams spread out over a square mile.:bomb:

Certainly not counting on the easterly in around 7+ to-10+ days or so. That evolution is tortuous to say the least and as long as it stays out in that range then its only there in theory... Will be wattching it like a hawk though !

Agreed too far out at this stage. The models thread does get very excited at times. I am surprised at the behaviour in there........raging testostone abounds and discussion gets rather heated at times!! :bomb::):D

Posted

Still very light snow falling here but sky brightening up. Not sure if that was just a rogue shower or if there could be a few surprises today. A light covering left on roofs and grass. A lot of shower activity to the north but will any more reach the central belt?

Posted

Morning all.

Interesting times ahead :bomb:

We had the teeniest of snow showers, more like hail tbh. Oh actually just looked out the window and we have a tiny bit more falling from the sky.

Temp is 0.7 and DP is -3.7

Still very light snow falling here but sky brightening up. Not sure if that was just a rogue shower or if there could be a few surprises today. A light covering left on roofs and grass. A lot of shower activity to the north but will any more reach the central belt?

I think some of the showers will make it down here, but I also feel that they will be fairly light in nature by then. I'm not long back from taking BoyCatch to school and the wind is horrible. Cutting straight through your head; a real cold ears wind! I can't find my wooly hat to cover my ears, so no walk for ToddlerCatch today unless I get brave later :bomb:

Some lovely looking snowy scenes in the north :) Traffic Cameras on standby :bomb:

Posted

I think some of the showers will make it down here, but I also feel that they will be fairly light in nature by then. I'm not long back from taking BoyCatch to school and the wind is horrible. Cutting straight through your head; a real cold ears wind! I can't find my wooly hat to cover my ears, so no walk for ToddlerCatch today unless I get brave later laugh.gif

Some lovely looking snowy scenes in the north smile.gif Traffic Cameras on standby laugh.gif

Its actually snowing quite heavily just to the east of Glasgow just now but I'd agree with you that most showers that get through should be light today down here today.

Edited by Blizzardo

Its actually snowing quite heavily just to the east of Glasgow just now but I'd agree with you that most showers that get through should be light today down here today.

Shhhh!! I know there are some big showers making it through, I didn't want to jinx them :bomb:

There's quite a long shower moving down towards the east of Glasgow. Some places could get a good covering from that, but only if they get lucky. Ten miles either side will miss out :bomb:

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

Shhhh!! I know there are some big showers making it through, I didn't want to jinx them good.gif

There's quite a long shower moving down towards the east of Glasgow. Some places could get a good covering from that, but only if they get lucky. Ten miles either side will miss out sad.gif

Ha ha. I know I was watching that one as well and hoping it veered a bit further west as I'm in the west end of Glasgow just now. Saying that I live in Bishopbriggs and theres a covering there from that one.

Posted

Only one thing missing from all the previous cold spells this winter which would have made it complete and that was blowing falling powdery snow and guess what, thats what we have had in the last hour with a temperature of -1c.Stunning arctic blue sky with grey almost black and yellow shower clouds and a strong NNW wind. Really is turning into an amazing winter with snow refrozen from previous falls

Posted

Will keep my fingers crossed that it reaches me here. I'm on the south side of Glasgow. Caught the snow shower just before 9am but sun is out here just now.

It looks like you should get another soon. Fingers crossed. There are a few showers from a little band moving down the east side of the city but some may cross further west.

Edited by Blizzardo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Some snow flurries/showers are making it through here just to the West of Dundee. Further North in Highland Perthshire there are 2/3 cms of new snow. :rolleyes:

It looks like you should get another soon. Fingers crossed. There are a few showers from a little band moving down the east side of the city but some may cross further west.

I think that's all heading SSE, we need to look to the north and slightly west of north for any activity and there is not much there at the moment. In fact, there is nothing there which looks like making it here :rolleyes:

Posted

I think that's all heading SSE, we need to look to the north and slightly west of north for any activity and there is not much there at the moment. In fact, there is nothing there which looks like making it here sad.gif

Yeh it is a bit. Its been snowing lightly here in the west end for about 10 minutes but it wont amount to anything.