Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 20:

Methuselah

Posted

Great stuff here today! Frequent heavy snow showers with drifting. The roads have been much worse than the last snow because of underlying ice and the drifting and it was pretty hairy getting home with lots of vehicles struggling on slopes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Any easterly component to the wind and central Scotland would've been getting clobbered right now http://expert.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2010/01/29/basis12/ukuk/prty/10013000_2912.gif

Most of the graupel/snow from earlier has melted, although there is still a covering in the shade. I was at my parents' house earlier, their pond is still frozen from the last cold spell and since most of their garden is shaded they have a fully white garden. Lucky duckys.

Any easterly component to the wind and central Scotland would've been getting clobbered right now http://expert.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2010/01/29/basis12/ukuk/prty/10013000_2912.gif

Where's our big fan in the North Sea when we need it? :D There has been a huge amount of showers there all day :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Any easterly component to the wind and central Scotland would've been getting clobbered right now http://expert.weathe...013000_2912.gif

I know.

Anyone got a boat we could borrow?

Preferably one with deck big enough for a car so I could try out my snowchains. biggrin.gif

Posted

Does your picnic table float? It does a good job at catching snow smile.gif

lol.

That plan might actually have merit if I get desperate.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Lots and lots of fuss about Easterly this, too much FI, too many saying it was nailed on, comparisons to this year and that - where 09/10 deserves it's own place in History - could be the Winter where our outlook on 'classic' seasons turned the corner back to the old school.

I still think there is plenty of interest around this weekend prior to looking towards next...

Unresolved issues of where the blocking will create heights, how the Siberian block will move, the atlantic with another failed knock at the door and possiblities of Polar Lows - oh and the North Sea throwing us the odd curve ball.

Am sure it's still going to be a lot of model watching, cold fingers and toes before February even gets a look in..

PPVI89.png

Posted

From the radar, is that the Forth starting to generate a few light showers?

And maybe that monster out in the NS just edging ever so slightly east? Ok, maybe hopecasting....

Agreed lorenzo. The weekend is already fun for those up north; hopefully central belt and the borders can get some too.

I'm not stressing about the easterly - we have chances for snow in the next few days, followed by a distinct possibility of more.

After a belter over the christmass period, how can we complain.

The fact that a lot of the model thread moaners live very far south where serious snow is difficult to achieve without a perfect E'rly only supports the importance of a scottish thread; we have a different climate up here...

Edited by scottish skier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

From the radar, is that the Forth starting to generate a few light showers?

And maybe that monster out in the NS just edging ever so slightly east? Ok, maybe hopecasting....

http://www.sat24.com/gb That bank in the NS is certainly thinking about hitting the East Coast......good.gif

Cracking picture Lady P http://www.sat24.com/Region.aspx?country=eu&sat=ir&type=loop The low is building on this looped set ...

drinks.gif

Edited by lorenzo

Posted

Is that not just the low that is on the FAX charts??

I figured its the trough shown on the meto pressure charts for sat 00:00. Tantalisingly just off the coast.

Oops, meant the current band out to sea, not the developing feature to the north.

Edited by scottish skier

I figured its the trough shown on the meto pressure charts for sat 00:00. Tantalisingly just off the coast.

Oops, meant the current band out to sea, not the developing feature to the north.

Right on both counts I think :drinks::p

Some trough though!!

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

There the low off to the east, further north a couple of commas and further northeast a swirl (the trough I think). http://www.knmi.nl/satrep/latest.htm

Certainly lots of activity up there. Potential for the very north east for sure, but if the general wind direction stays largely N-S, then most of us will likely miss it - in central/southern that is - at least looks that way currently?

maybe 50 miles further east and that current trough would be dumping on the east coast. If I was in newcastle, I'd be well excited; might just hit there later.

Point is we currently have snow cold (freudian slip) with ideal DPs, uppers and lowers at least for the next few days. Radar watching with crossed fingers is the way to go for me at least

Edited by scottish skier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Certainly lots of activity up there. Potential for the very north east for sure, but if the general wind direction stays largely N-S, then most of us will likely miss it, at least looks that way currently?

maybe 50 miles further east and that current trough would be dumping on the east coast. If I was in newcastle, I'd be well excited; might just hit there later.

Point is we currently have snow with ideal DPs, uppers and lowers at least for the next few days. Radar watching with crossed fingers is the way to go for me at least

Have to agree with that. Newcastle, Humberside, Lincolnshire, East Anglia ... could all take a glancing blow from the feature. In saying that its seems just as likely to stay off the east coast all the way down .

Its really firmed up this last few hours though ... if anyone were somehow to get under that, it would be a seriously severe event.

Posted

Have to agree with that. Newcastle, Humberside, Lincolnshire, East Anglia ... could all take a glancing blow from the feature. In saying that its seems just as likely to stay off the east coast all the way down .

Its really firmed up this last few hours though ... if anyone were somehow to get under that, it would be a seriously severe event.

That does look increasingly like its headed for north and east england.

As far as I can see, there is an anti-snow force field which has developed over fife and southern scotland....sad.gif

Ah well, have my radar watchers anonymous meeting tomorrow, so should probably try to be good tonight...

LSS - care to give your educated thoughts on what might cause me to fall off the wagon in the next few days?

Edited by scottish skier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

That is such a shame to miss all the potential of SNOW! typical when you want snow it sits off the coast! lol!

Getting too greedy - but is that band just pushing further towards land? looks like i should join radar anonymous too!!

Edited by snowy owl

Posted

No mention of a Polar Low? My, you people are slipping :whistling:

What have we here coming out of Norway in a north to south direction?

Bah - that's the 'trough' thing I mentioned. I was trying not to jinx things by using the PL words...