Cold?
IGNORED

London And Southeast - Cold Spell Discussion

Paul

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Further snow showers are likely, especially during the first part of the day, giving a few more centimetres in some areas. Drifting is also possible.

Issued at: 1059 Tue 9 Feb

Areas affected:

* Kent 40%

* Medway 40%

<_<

I'll say it again the met office are a joke , as i've always been anti met. Not only did they get blasted over the global warming fiasco they didn't even get yesterday right!.

Edited by neilsouth

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

It's Wednesday tomorrow and the last 2 significant snowfalls here have been in time for (or at) morning rush hour on a Wednesday. It's not scientific, but you never know - Met Office invent shows precipitation over me at 9am tomorrow <_<

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Further snow showers are likely, especially during the first part of the day, giving a few more centimetres in some areas. Drifting is also possible.

Issued at: 1059 Tue 9 Feb

Areas affected:

* Kent 40%

* Medway 40%

<_<

I'll say it again the met office are a joke , as i've always been anti met. Not only did they get blasted over the global warming fiasco they didn't even get yesterday right!.

Lets be fair neilsouth, the MetO did say there was a threat of snow for the SE, but that it looked more likely being confined to the higher ground. Now we all know how difficult it is for any model, not just the MetO's, to forecast temperature precisely. As it happened, the temperatures stayed just a degree on the colder side (bearing in mind all we are talking about is 1C to make the difference) and most of us about 12-15 hours of continuous snow, which fortunately settled very little.

Posted

Lets be fair neilsouth, the MetO did say there was a threat of snow for the SE, but that it looked more likely being confined to the higher ground. Now we all know how difficult it is for any model, not just the MetO's, to forecast temperature precisely. As it happened, the temperatures stayed just a degree on the colder side (bearing in mind all we are talking about is 1C to make the difference) and most of us about 12-15 hours of continuous snow, which fortunately settled very little.

Sounds like something a pm would say " lets be fair " or " lets be clear about this " , me i'm straight to the throat when it comes to the met office <_<. It just seems everytime they get it wrong there is always someone in the crowd to defend them. They got it terribly wrong too often when it comes to winter or storms

On a better note

Julie on the Look East 1:45 confirmed that Thursday's potential significant snow is headed for Kent now rather than East Anglia. 5-day forecasts is 4-5c and slight frost overnight, risk of wintry showers, general rain Sunday.

Posted

Yes, would do well to see much out of this now with current modelling. Wind looking slack and ppn negligible, chance of a dusting or two early hours-mid morning but a quiet spell of weather to say the least. Usual favoured Kent areas may have a bit more interest thurs thru sat; I'm off for a walk in Trossley Park on Saturday so hoping for a classic bit of winter scenery!

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

5c here now, why on earth is it so warm?cc_confused.gif

Surface heating plays a bigger part now that we are in February. However with cold uppers the temperature would get quickly dragged back down if a heavy shower came along or at sunset.

Anyway it is a lovely day in Brighton now, great for a walk in the sunshine.

Edited by chionomaniac

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

heres 2 charts - todays dew points predicted at 12pm and then wednesdays(tomo) predicted dew points at 12pm also

peter on the se local weather today at 1.40 has also said a dusting of snow for some tonight as snow shrs move down

drunk.gifnext run should up the chances

post-11361-12657284116217_thumb.gif

post-11361-12657284230517_thumb.gif

Edited by nimbilus

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

these are ours for tonight then? trough development moving down east side how far inland are the snow shrs going to be i dont know .

what do other think ?drinks.gifcold.gif

smoe updated gfs 12z charts

post-11361-12657296118917_thumb.jpg

post-11361-12657303891917_thumb.png

post-11361-12657304018117_thumb.png

post-11361-12657304202417_thumb.png

post-11361-12657304558817_thumb.jpg

Edited by Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Sounds like something a pm would say " lets be fair " or " lets be clear about this " , me i'm straight to the throat when it comes to the met office :lol:. It just seems everytime they get it wrong there is always someone in the crowd to defend them. They got it terribly wrong too often when it comes to winter or storms

On a better note

Well, scrap the PM talk then, its a fact...f.a.c.t the MetO forecasted snow, and it arrived. Unfortunately, they got the altitude wrong, as a result of slightly off temperature forecasts. Which, led to non problematic sleet and snow at lower levels, as opposed to rain, sleet and snow. If it had settled and caused bedlam, I may be inclined to agree with you. However, all BBC forecasters (Jay Wynne springs to mind) forecasted wet snow, which indeed occurred.

I hardly see where there was a major error to get irritated about.

The biggest short comings with the MetO IMO is thunderstorm forecasting, way ahead of snowfall forecasting.

Posted

My take on the potential: We weren't really expecting much on Monday here and the models didn't give us anything to confirm that. Eastbourne, Brighton, Worthing and Lewes got some snow (1" of wet snow that melted quite quickly) late yesterday and the conditions were not that favourable.

With DP's now dropping and the colder air pulling in, I fully expect to see some more of the white stuff in the next few days. When, where and how much I'm not sure - but this is going to be down to lamppost and radar watching as the previous events of this Winter have been so far. I'm ruling nothing out until after this Winter!!!!

Posted

running the radar and sat it does seem like a chance of some snow shrs filtering into our region later

post-11361-12657323456917_thumb.jpg

post-11361-12657323564117_thumb.jpg

Posted

running the radar and sat it does seem like a chance of some snow shrs filtering into our region later

Looking at the rain today radar, they seem to fizzle out before Kent & Sussex and most of London..wallbash.gif

Posted

No east anglia thread so posting on here :. Why so warm is the question..well on the east coast here and it has not got above 4c all day but is -2 in a brisk wind..is it all because the wind is traverling over a bigger area of north sea which is showing around 8c as it was recorded at walton on the naze at 1pm today. What we need is lower nigt temps and this will cool things down, we have not got that ice block at the moment, and we need the wind to drop away to give us lower temps.

Posted

drunk.gifnext week looks interesting

post-11361-12657333476617_thumb.png

post-11361-12657333703617_thumb.png

Posted
Posted

Looking at the rain today radar, they seem to fizzle out before Kent & Sussex and most of London..wallbash.gif

theres a feature developing in the north sea running down the east and should keep the shrs stronger as they run down towards us later into tonight, as peter cokroft said earlier on bbc1 local se weather at 1.40pm, dusting expected over sesmile.gif

drinks.gifdrunk.gifyahoo.gif

post-11361-12657339186417_thumb.gif

Edited by nimbilus

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: rubbish boring weather

No east anglia thread so posting on here :. Why so warm is the question..well on the east coast here and it has not got above 4c all day but is -2 in a brisk wind..is it all because the wind is traverling over a bigger area of north sea which is showing around 8c as it was recorded at walton on the naze at 1pm today. What we need is lower nigt temps and this will cool things down, we have not got that ice block at the moment, and we need the wind to drop away to give us lower temps.

I believe that this is the link you are looking for?! :p

Not saying that in a "get out of our area" way though!!

Edited by jasonuk

Posted

Only reached 2.4c here today with light flurries off and on all day. Very cold in that wind though! :p Now it's dropped to 1c but clear as a bell...hoping for that dusting someone mentioned above :)

Posted

theres a feature developing in the north sea running down the east and should keep the shrs stronger as they run down towards us later into tonight, as peter cokroft said earlier on bbc1 local se weather at 1.40pm, dusting expected over se

and the darkest part of the pink in your picture post is over??????

post-11361-12657339186417.gif

Eastbourne!!! :p

Guest FireStorm

+T42 http://expert.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2010/02/09/basis12/ukuk/prty/10021106_0912.gif

+T48 http://expert.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2010/02/09/basis12/ukuk/prty/10021112_0912.gif

-2/-5c dew points, -11c 850hPa.. That is looking much better overall. A very pleasing 12z for Kent. I Still remain pretty adamant there will be snow reports during Wednesday, let alone Thursday and Friday.

Posted

So basically it starts tomorrow , heavier towards tomorrow night?

SKY NEWS WEATHER

We are expecting Heavy snow into kent late wednesday into thursday , one to keep an eye on !

So it's basically tomorrow , night time is good too

Guest FireStorm

lol dont get to excited though Neil. I think light showers or flurries are the order of the day. Generally a wintry mix of rain/sleet/snow - any heavier showers that come along would be better for snow as it drops the temperature some more. It's going to be marginal.. But im still adament for snow reports.

Tamara.. Do you share my views ? Your impartialunsure.gif

I'll be in Chatham all day tomorrow, inside a building too so will aim for a window seat, and the moment im back online will be checking here for snow straight away.

Edit for sky news: Wonder if they're thinking of the heavier showers turning to snow also??

Edited by FireStorm