Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London And Southeast - Cold Spell Discussion

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

It is worse when you issue an advisory to people not to post in certain areas of the forum to save hatred being thrown around over weather conditions! That's incredibly saddening for such a hard working and dedicated forum. The poor mods and forum staff cray.gifTheir passion for snow must be pushed by members

I Think we need an internet forum version of Seasonal Affective Disorder (http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/health/public/brighter-outlook.html). Maybe something like BABY's - Biased Against Back Yard's.. Relating to the whole if it's not IMBY - I'll throw my toys out of the pram and end up having forum privelledges revoked and how this shouldn't be the case when we are all here for one passion - weather!

It's an unfortunate fact that you have to watch what you say on there, I very rarely post there these days because of this touchyness. What some seem to forget is that other areas of the country have had several snow events since the last major one which is now a month ago. And it is ONLY major cold blasts that generally effect the South East anyway, so I never quite understand why some members begrudge us our bit of snow. :nonono:

Posted

Moderate snow now! Very nice to see! :nonono:

As to the moaners, well they have moaned all winter! I can't believe anyone has a right to moan (unless they perfer mild) about this winter considering how cold and wintry it's been!

Almost wish for a Bartlett to take over so that they will really have something to moan about! Jeez! :nonono:

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

It is worse when you issue an advisory to people not to post in certain areas of the forum to save hatred being thrown around over weather conditions! That's incredibly saddening for such a hard working and dedicated forum. The poor mods and forum staff cray.gifTheir passion for snow must be pushed by members

I Think we need an internet forum version of Seasonal Affective Disorder (http://www.metoffice...er-outlook.html). Maybe something like BABY's - Biased Against Back Yard's.. Relating to the whole if it's not IMBY - I'll throw my toys out of the pram and end up having forum privelledges revoked and how this shouldn't be the case when we are all here for one passion - weather!

I think if people used the threads as they are set up, then the moaning would be much better contained. It is a mixture between the moaning and the argumentative power struggles that go on that are so off putting.

I've finally given up anyway.

Thank heavens for the regional threadsdrinks.gif

BABY's - love it - so true and so apt!laugh.gif

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

LATE WEEK SNOWS LIKELY IN LONDON

Okay thaw is over.. time for more fun and games.

The next 5 days will find the upper ridge popping back northwest over Iceland which turns Great Britain into an Iceland. I think the heaviest snows of the season are on the way for the southeastern part of Great Britain ( London) as the deep northeast flow and the very chilly air coming over the water picks up plenty of moisture and the snow flies a new later Thursday into Friday. In any case as we approach Valentines day we find much of Europe in classic cold with the mid and late week maps featuring and icelandic high pressure aloft and plenty of low pressure aloft from Spain to the Balkans and the drainage southwest of cold air back into the west. Make sure you have something, and someone to keep you warm.

http://tinyurl.com/8enmo5

Edited by neilsouth

Taking a tin hat made me chuckle, but yep good advice to post here, smile.gif saves the upsets

I think given time, the regional threads will become more and more popular. Have you noticed in the other regions how much friendlier they are than the main country wise threads? The south west thread they speak to each other regardless of whether it is mild/cold raining or snowing. That is the way it should begood.gif

In another way, it is a pity that something that is so natural like the weather can become so divisive amongst people and it takes 'being local' to make people friendly. Takes the old 'north/south divide onto a new level

I try and pop into the other regional threads sometimes and spread some good will.

Doesn't happen much in this thread though from others! A few like GMG do though, which is nicesmile.gif

Edited by North Sea Snow Convection

Posted

I think if people used the threads as they are set up, then the moaning would be much better contained. It is a mixture between the moaning and the argumentative power struggles that go on that are so off putting.

I've finally given up anyway.

Thank heavens for the regional threadsdrinks.gif

BABY's - love it - so true and so apt!laugh.gif

Does that mean we get the benefit of your expertise in here more often then?

If so, I for one would like to say a big :nonono: :nonono:

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

I think given time, the regional threads will become more and more popular. Have you noticed in the other regions how much friendlier they are than the main country wise threads? The south west thread they speak to each other regardless of whether it is mild/cold raining or snowing. That is the way it should begood.gif

In another way, it is a pity that something that is so natural like the weather can become so divisive amongst people and it takes 'being local' to make people friendly. Takes the old 'north/south divide onto a new level

I try and pop into the other regional threads sometimes and spread some good will.

Doesn't happen much in this thread though from others! A few like GMG do though, which is nicesmile.gif

Go in quickly Tamara with your tin hat and body armour, throw a few grenades and leave quickly shutting the door behind you and return here!!!!!!

Posted

LOL smile.gif Were you looking for some laminate flooring after Joe B.stardi smile.gif

Didnt know about the text change eh ?

Made my day in a wierd way..

Radar shows another batch of possible snow coming through London (from the east) in about half an hour

Edited by Buzzit

Does that mean we get the benefit of your expertise in here more often then?

If so, I for one would like to say a big yahoo.gifyahoo.gif

That's kind anitasmile.gif but there are actually lots of real experts based in this corner of the country who we can all look to for proper technical guidance.

Just as one example - there is Nick F on the team. His analysis of the atmosphere in terms of the actual physics (as it were) of snowfall (and other weather types like storms obviously) and general forecasting ability is invalauble on here,as well as the forum as a whole of course.

I always read his analysis of things - his eye for detail is excellentsmile.gif There are others too, but I don't want to mention too many names in case I leave anyone out!oops.gif

Go in quickly Tamara with your tin hat and body armour, throw a few grenades and leave quickly shutting the door behind you and return here!!!!!!

lol!

you are another one who can give great input into the little south eastern ship that we have here!

Posted

We just had a few flakes of snow near Portsmouth, Hampshire, its rather cold too :nonono:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

hi all!

nice to see it snowing drunk.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

That's kind anitasmile.gif but there are actually lots of real experts based in this corner of the country who we can all look to for proper technical guidance.

Just as one example - there is Nick F on the team. His analysis of the atmosphere in terms of the actual physics (as it were) of snowfall (and other weather types like storms obviously) and general forecasting ability is invalauble on here,as well as the forum as a whole of course.

I always read his analysis of things - his eye for detail is excellentsmile.gif There are others too, but I don't want to mention too many names in case I leave anyone out!oops.gif

lol!

you are another one who can give great input into the little south eastern ship that we have here!

Thanks, T but there are only so many charts that I can look at in a day! Anyway with you and Nick F and others we are pretty well covered anyway. Unlike the surface here on which the snow has melted since it tried to settle earlier. Still the odd flake in the air.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost
xcweather.co.uk latest wind speed/direction

post-11361-12656411885117_thumb.jpg

Edited by nimbilus

Posted

Any one know what happen to the model out put discussion ?

I can only find a whinge thread with people being down that it wont be -5c max in middle of Feb (I wonder if there has been more the 2 days in a century where the max was -5c or below down south mid feb)

I wish the mods would delete the moaners and just allow model discussion ah well

Anyway hope I find it soon

More snow here (reading) about the 20th day of snow so far this winter , max 3c

Some winters maybe we have had a sleet shower late march

I agree. We are in a classic winter and some want to be on the doom and gloom train :rolleyes:

Anyway, it has been snowing here for a few hours now with the heavy burst thrown in. The temp is colder than first expected. It's 1.5C :cold: :cold:

Joe B's latest is very interesting indeed.

The heavy snow destined for the SE boarders later this week will move inland covering the whole of the SE :good::(:good::(

Edited by yamkin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms followed by snow (preferably on the same day!)

Afternoon guys! Usually post on the central south thread but fairly quiet at the moment! It's snowing here in Horndean (about 7 miles north of Portsmouth), moderately but the flakes are getting bigger. I'm really chuffed as we're a bit further west and only rain was forecast today!smile.gif

Goes to show you never know what's round the corner! I love surprises!

Posted

Clacton Gaz reporting from the East Coast :...Nowcast : Dull ,raw, snow flakes in the wind, temp is + 1c falling from a +3c at 13.00hrs. feels like -3c in the raw wind which is n/easterly...we have had some snow showers to day but nothing has stuck yet...after dusk..we shall see.

hi all!

nice to see it snowing drunk.gif

Just started snowing again here, having stopped for a hour or so.

Looking at later in the week, the exact direction of the wind is going to determine how any snow streamers set up and the tracks across the counties that they take. They can be quite localised with a line of localities experiencing almost continuous snowfall for several hours whilst areas either side see little or none at all. When we see the advisories out for the region, that is something that needs to be borne in mind.

During the cold spell in the first half of Jan there was a NNE element to the windflow on the weekend of the 9/10th Jan and areas from Canterbury and other east kent districts, Ashford, my own locality nr the A28, and then on down further to Hastings saw snow snowers all day throughout the Saturday, wheras others not far away seemed to miss out. Conversely, during the pre xmas cold spell, snow showers lined up though parts of Essex, London, NW kent and on down to more western areas of East Sussex including Brighton. I should also mention western sussex here too which saw a lot of snow.There were some very marked variations in snow depths across Kent, Sussex,Surrey, london and Essex

So it will probably come down to a nowcast as to specific localities that see snow. During the day though, with stronger sunshine now we are into February, it could be the case that snow showers break out more extensively beyond organised streamers. The NE'erly of Feb 2005, for eg, saw some heavy convective snow showers break out inland during the afternoons after quite sunny mornings. With 850 temps at -10 and even below as well as probable low dewpoints (which is important) then we shouldn't see much snow melt during the day, despite the sunshine, but most especially where skies stay cloudy and snow showers are most frequent.

Thurs.Fri look the best days - but also I wouldn't be surprised to see new advisories as we go through the week, suggested for into the weekend as well. The NE wind looks to persist through much of the weekend off the north sea. Much depends upon the exact placement of the high pressure to the north west, and how much instability there is, which the models are still not sure about.

Edited by North Sea Snow Convection

Posted

I agree. We are in a classic winter and some want to be on the doom and gloom train :rolleyes:

Anyway, it has been snowing here for a few hours now with the heavy burst thrown in. The temp is colder than first expected. It's 1.5C :cold: :cold:

Joe B's latest is very interesting indeed.

The heavy snow destined for the SE boarders later this week will move inland covering the whole of the SE :good::(:good::(

been snowing here for hours now. just a shame it cant settle. looking forward to a crisp bright day tomorrow

Posted

Hi all

Just to give a report from my little corner of kent, hardly any snow today infact you could count the flakes passing the window, temperature is now dropping and registering 1.1c, wind chill is -1.8c and dewpoint is 0.2

fingers crossed for later in the week :rolleyes:

Posted

Afternoon guys! Usually post on the central south thread but fairly quiet at the moment! It's snowing here in Horndean (about 7 miles north of Portsmouth), moderately but the flakes are getting bigger. I'm really chuffed as we're a bit further west and only rain was forecast today!smile.gif

Goes to show you never know what's round the corner! I love surprises!

Sure no1 will mind if you stay in here drunk.gif

saw on south today that any where east of southampton could see a couple of cm thurs/fri which is good for us. though most of the fun is for east sussex/kent.

North Sea Snow Convection thxd for that great post clap.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

1C , it even feels colder outside :cold:

Sure no1 will mind if you stay in here drunk.gif

saw on south today that any where east of southampton could see a couple of cm thurs/fri which is good for us. though most of the fun is for east sussex/kent.

North Sea Snow Convection thxd for that great post clap.gif

With enough of an easterly element in the wind and sufficient strength then some snow showers should filter through to you too. I lived in West Sussex during the winter 95/96 and similar set ups to this one provided snow cover. I think that the local forecast is right in what they are sayingsmile.gif

Posted

it still looks like the se is in for snowfall early wednesday cold.gif, i think most of se will see this snow?smile.gif

and the advisorys in kent/east sussex is the most likely place to see large falls on thrs/fri (at this stage) but there are more snow events building for us all, wait n see.....yahoo.gif