Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London And Southeast - Cold Spell Discussion

Paul

Posted

Snowing here on and off all morning! Heavy at times

latest beeb forecast for tomorrow! Dry and sunny with a high of 5C or 6C.... Mmm - bit different from country tracks forecast yesterday!

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Intensity of precipitation is increasing. Still not settling on pavements. Temp 0.8ºC DP 0.0ºC.

Posted

Where's Yamkin then?

It's been snowing on and off all morning here, not settling but

certainly a good start and more then I expected today.

Radar looks good for this to continue all day.

Snowing here. Bit busy right now. I'll be ramping much more later on

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

Nice Met Office outlook for this week!

Outlook for Wednesday to Friday:

Staying cold with wintry showers on Wednesday. Snow showers becoming heavier and more frequent on Thursday and Friday, especially Kent, Essex and Sussex, where some moderate accumulations are likely

Posted

Morning all, long time lurker finally joined, light rain / sleet here in Ramsgate, looking forward to snow later in week as the colder uppers take hold. Dewpoint 1c 33.8F, Air Temp 3.8c 38.8F

Hi dan dan, Welcome to the forum :)

Brian

Posted

Have heard it is snowing heavily in north East Sussex near to Burwash and the A265 is getting treacherous for arctics going up the hill! But apparently highways have no plans to send gritters out :)

Posted

Have heard it is snowing heavily in north East Sussex near to Burwash and the A265 is getting treacherous for arctics going up the hill! But apparently highways have no plans to send gritters out :)

What a surprise...dry.gif

Guest archiesmummy

Snowing here. Bit busy right now. I'll be ramping much more later on

busy with those charts and maps thats going to show 5ft of snow falling on my house!!!!

Seroiusly hubbie and i think your fab, so funny but knowledegable at the same time

good.gif

Edited by archiesmummy

Posted

My God what a surprise!!!! It is chucking it down in Welwyn. This is the heaviest stuff i've seen all winter, no over exaggeration it is practically blizzard conditions outside. Needless to say it's finally beginning to settle. :)

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

I see the MetO are sticking their neck out and have put an advisory out for Kent and E Sussex for Thursday and Friday:

http://www.metoffice.com/weather/uk/uk_forecast_warnings.html

Heavy Snow Thu 11 Feb

Snow showers may become frequent, heavy and prolonged at times, leading to accumulations of 5 to 10 cm in some areas, with 15 cm possible locally over high ground. Some drifting is also possible.

Issued at: 1114 Mon 8 Feb

Heavy Snow Fri 12 Feb

Snow showers at first may be frequent, heavy and prolonged enough to give further accumulations of 2 to 5 cm in some areas, with 10 cm possible locally over high ground.

Issued at: 1119 Mon 8 Feb

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Nick F... Did you see this amount of PPN coming for today? I looked at the GFS precip charts last night and thought... Hmmm interesting, widespread light snow flurries possible. Then I look at the radar now and there is some heavy bursts in there, around The Wash there is a band developing that is heading straight for Notts/Leicester area :) I could see a dusting from this and I only expected to see light flurries at best lol.

Posted
  • Location: Biggin Hill Kent (205m often in the low temp league)
  • Location: Biggin Hill Kent (205m often in the low temp league)

I see the MetO are sticking their neck out and have put an advisory out for Kent and Sussex for Thursday and Friday:

http://www.metoffice...t_warnings.html

Heavy Snow Thu 11 Feb

Snow showers may become frequent, heavy and prolonged at times, leading to accumulations of 5 to 10 cm in some areas, with 15 cm possible locally over high ground. Some drifting is also possible.

Issued at: 1114 Mon 8 Feb

Heavy Snow Fri 12 Feb

Snow showers at first may be frequent, heavy and prolonged enough to give further accumulations of 2 to 5 cm in some areas, with 10 cm possible locally over high ground.

Issued at: 1119 Mon 8 Feb

Hi Nick-sorry this a bit of a will it snow question -but do you thing the snow line will go further inland ie: Biggin Hill borders Kent and Surrey .

Cheers. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Cold Winters & Warm Dry Summers

Hi Nick-sorry this a bit of a will it snow question -but do you thing the snow line will go further inland ie: Biggin Hill borders Kent and Surrey .

Sorry am not Nick but I think we have to wait until Wednesday before we will have that ansswer.

Posted

Still sleety drizzle (home location)but temp and dew point becoming more favourable

Posted

Nick F... Did you see this amount of PPN coming for today? I looked at the GFS precip charts last night and thought... Hmmm interesting, widespread light snow flurries possible. Then I look at the radar now and there is some heavy bursts in there, around The Wash there is a band developing that is heading straight for Notts/Leicester area :) I could see a dusting from this and I only expected to see light flurries at best lol.

The Wash does seem to be helping a snow streamer develop SW-wards into the SE Midlands, a look at 1100 plot dows show an upper low (circle of broken red lines) aswell as a trough in the isobars, which is helping ascent and bring occasional moderate bursts, though cloud tops look to be limited looking at forecast skew-t profiles, so snow doesn't look to get too heavy. Enough for a temporary covering.

post-1052-12656296599117_thumb.gif

Few spots around 0C in E Midlands and Norfolk, also around 0 deg C on the rigs in south N Sea.

If you are refering to Thurs and Fri - rather too far off to suggest where it will snow in the SE, but I'd be suprised if you didn't catch some snow up there. As Jayces says, wait till Weds to get a firmer picture :)

Guest FireStorm

Wintry mix of drizzle and the odd snowflake thrown in. Heavier bursts give snowfall but not sticking.

Medway, Kent

Edit: Denise on sky-news was feeling confident enough to show Friday's weather mentioning "...more, intense snowfall for Friday" over predominantly Kent but I'd suppose East Sussex to was possible.

Though when she says "more intense", its in comparrison to the previously mentioned snow showers, and not a continuation of intense snow before people get too excited :rolleyes:

Edited by FireStorm

Posted

Well still snowing in Brighton ,some big flakes and heavy at times but not sticking.Met office have given out warnings now for East sussex, kent and medway for Thursday and Friday,fingers crossed.drinks.gif

Never thought i'd say this but I want the snow to stop here, so the ground can dry...aggressive.gif

Lol,i was just thinking the same thing.drinks.gif

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

UK Outlook for Saturday 13 Feb 2010 to Monday 22 Feb 2010:

Saturday and Sunday will be cold generally, with brisk northeasterly winds, and with wintry showers across some eastern areas, and still with the risk of significant snow accumulations in the far southeast. Overnight frost will be widespread, and locally severe. In the period Monday to Wednesday (15th to 17th) northern parts of the U.K. are likely to become more unsettled, with rain or sleet turning to snow over many inland parts, especially higher ground. Southern areas may also have some snow for a time before mostly turning to rain. Beyond this an unsettled but mostly cold type of weather looks most likely, with a continuing risk of sleet or snow, except perhaps in the southwest where somewhat milder conditions should prevail.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Well still snowing in Brighton ,some big flakes and heavy at times but not sticking.Met office have given out warnings now for East sussex, kent and medway for Thursday and Friday,fingers crossed.drinks.gif

Lol,i was just thinking the same thing.drinks.gif

I would suggest a trip up to the South Downs just North of Brighton, would think theres a couple of cm's up there on the hills.Radar has been shoing some moderate PNN for some time around Sussex. :)

Edited by snowray

Posted

Heavy snow shower here now. Its not settling but at least its a step in the right direction instead of the icy rain we had earlier