Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London And Southeast Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

I've just realised my radar subscription runs out tomorrow :)

Now the big question is..... do I renew for another month, or are we just looking at rain for the forseeable?? I only subscribe to it in the winter, I only like pink :)

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

I feel sorry for some areas of london. Luckily for me i have had 2 small dumpings and one large dumping smile.gif. But some ares only 5 miles away from me have had next to nothing!

I think the closest that we have come to complete UK countrywide snow was probably at the end of the first week of January after that major snow event. Scotland and parts of the north were already snow covered and the virtually the rest of the UK joined in by the 6th. I had partial snow cover left from a 2cm mini fall at New Year which was then topped up big style from the 6th to the 13th Jan inclusive before it then started to melt.

Edited by North Sea Snow Convection

Posted
  • Location: Biggin Hill Kent (205m often in the low temp league)
  • Location: Biggin Hill Kent (205m often in the low temp league)

The North Downs just outside of London has done really well this winter with snow and snow dusting's on many mornings( nearly 30 now). February has brought a few early morning snow events although mostly minor and it is nice to wake up to see a white dusting. Unlike January we are still waiting for the big one with 20cms but next week could be promising . Just look back to 2006/07 and 2007/08, surely two of most benign winters I can remember with nil freezing days and hardly any snow. It is interesting to note how quickly we adapt to the cold . Some mornings I get to work and comment how mild it is and the actual temps are not that much above freezing. We have probably had about 8 to 10 freezing days which is more than any winter since 1991 . If we have more winters like this one we would learn to adapt like most of the countries in Eastern Europe. One more big snow event before spring please- although March can bring some pretty spectacular snow showers that are unfortunately short lived. Love the seasons- a fresh dry spring- a warmish summer but not to hot -autumn cooling down with cool evenings and frosts -winter cold and frosty with occasional snow -Not asking for much -My wife and teenage kids think I'm absolutely bonkers about the weather -The late seventies and eighties winters got me hooked- this winter certainly compares .:)

Edited by thevalley

I just browse this site, but have to agree with thevally, I lived in Tatsfield just next to Bigging hill and the winters in the late 70s early 80s got me hooked on weather.

I now live in East Grinstead and we also do well hear for snow, it seems funny we are all thinking the winters over this year its only the middle of Feb we have a few more weeks left!!

Posted

Now the big question is..... do I renew for another month, or are we just looking at rain for the forseeable?? I only subscribe to it in the winter, I only like pink :unsure:

Renew tomorrow, you might need it early next week!

it seems funny we are all thinking the winters over this year its only the middle of Feb we have a few more weeks left!!

+ a few more opportunities I've no doubt. Now close you eyes and wish your bestist ever wish!

post-6667-12665771381817_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

I feel sorry for some areas of london. Luckily for me i have had 2 small dumpings and one large dumping :unsure:. But some ares only 5 miles away from me have had next to nothing!

Yup, like me! :unsure:

Posted

Looking out my window at home,can see darkening cloud but nothing on the radar, anyone know why that is as I usually see it on the radar

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

I feel sorry for some areas of london. Luckily for me i have had 2 small dumpings and one large dumping smile.gif. But some ares only 5 miles away from me have had next to nothing!

NW London does seem to do well with the snow I found that out even in previous winters when I was at uni in Herts, a small dumping in barnet, yet slush or rain back home in se ldn/nw kent!, think because your away from the thames warming influence and its more rural up there lucky people!!

Looking out my window at home,can see darkening cloud but nothing on the radar, anyone know why that is as I usually see it on the radar

Wish I could answer your question mate! I noticed its getting rather dark outside too, yet I thought the sun was supposed to be braking through?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow

Just been on weather online and made for interesting Reading. They are going with a threat of a major snowstorm in our region for tues / tues eve and into wed. Obviouslyi know things will change but was good to read.

Edited by snowbob

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms followed by snow (preferably on the same day!)

A couple of interesting bits and pieces on the south west thread this morning, apparently a channel low looked possible for Wednesday but doesn't look like that now after a different run (or something technical like that!). Still lots of uncertainty that's for sure. Think I'll avoid weather forums/forecasts and get my all weather pack ready i.e. swimming costume, wellies, hot flask, shovel (as my outlier!), sunglasses and see what awaits me when I open the front door lol! biggrin.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

Just been on weather online and made for interesting Reading. They are going with a threat of a major snowstorm in our region for tues / tues eve and into wed. Obviouslyi know things will change but was good to read.

major snowstorm in surrey and east kent and nw london but not nw kent I bet loL!!

Posted

For those on the South Coast it would be nice if the NAE 06z come through for Saturday evening... If only it was a touch more north and not playing with the boats in the channel

http://expert.weathe...022018_1906.gif

Dallas, because its low cloud and not carrying any precip

Thanks for that, will remember cheers

Posted

NW London does seem to do well with the snow I found that out even in previous winters when I was at uni in Herts, a small dumping in barnet, yet slush or rain back home in se ldn/nw kent!, think because your away from the thames warming influence and its more rural up there lucky people!!

Wish I could answer your question mate! I noticed its getting rather dark outside too, yet I thought the sun was supposed to be braking through?

Barnet's best feature is its height. Apparently in one part, it is the highest point between London and the Ural mountains in Russia. So anything heading our way from the E likes to intensify over us. I think it's one of the worst places in the country for NE'rlys though so I'd much rather go and live in Kent. :D

Posted

Barnet's best feature is its height. Apparently in one part, it is the highest point between London and the Ural mountains in Russia. So anything heading our way from the E likes to intensify over us. I think it's one of the worst places in the country for NE'rlys though so I'd much rather go and live in Kent. rolleyes.gif

It does amaze me how rural some of London travel zone 4-5 is in your part of the world yet my part of kent is much more urban and not even in zone 6! and like you said height is the key because just a couple miles south/south east of here and your in the jackpot zone especially for north easterlies unfortunately we have to rely on whatever comes from south essex usually to give us a decent amount of the white stuff lol!! ENE is great but NE is only good for chatham eastwards in Kent! and west/south west Kent also benefits from this!

Edited by Kentspur

Posted

It does amaze me how rural some of London travel zone 4-5 is in your part of the world yet my part of kent is much more urban and not even in zone 6! and like you said height is the key because just a couple miles south/south east of here and your in the jackpot zone especially for north easterlies unfortunately we have to rely on whatever comes from south essex usually to give us a decent amount of the white stuff lol!! ENE is great buyt NE is only good for chatham eatswards in Kent! and west/south west Kent also benefits from this!

Trust me we are not in the jackpot for nort-easterlies. All the north easterlies this year has given us very little, apart fom the 17th of dec. But that was more of a ENE. The only decent snow we have recieved was in january, from that large PPN coming from the south.

Posted

Trust me we are not in the jackpot for nort-easterlies. All the north easterlies this year has given us very little, apart fom the 17th of dec. But that was more of a ENE. The only decent snow we have recieved was in january, from that large PPN coming from the south.

Misunderstanding matey I should have been more clear!- I meant the jackpot area is s&se of Dartford along the rural parts of the north downs to be specific

Edited by Kentspur

Posted

Misunderstanding matey I should have been more clear!- I meant the jackpot area is s&se of Dartford along the rural parts of the north downs to be specific

ohh :D . I really do not like north-easterlies. Extremely frustrating as you watch all thre shower go to the east of you. Now easterlies are the real deal, and a slight south-eastely curve would be perfect for IMBY. :)

Posted

Quick input from myself before i pop out

Well today some of us could see some light showers, rain/sleet in the day, snow in evening.

tomorrow looks dry, tomorrow night an area on ppn moves up from the south west. The GFS is showing mostly rain, maybe some frontal snow

post-10842-12665839951817_thumb.gif

NAE showing the ppn not getting as far north, might see some nice frontal snow though in the southern half of the s.e

post-10842-12665841278017_thumb.gif

then on monday we will see rain moving up from the south west. as this moves away and drags in cold uppers behind it, we may see some brief back edge snow. Yesterdays 18z had maybe 6 hours of backedge snow the 6z today has virtually none.

Then looking further ahead, we have another low moving in on wednesday, this time its weeker and doesent push in the warm uppers, so there is more chance of snow for our region. though this will change nearer the time

Posted

Tomorrow is going to be one of those wait and see type set-ups, they typically end up to the south of us but who knows, this one could provide some fun and games. The NAE has two areas to watch, the first coming along during the afternoon (which is poor timing TBH for us) and the second may well end up being too far north for all of us but we shall have to wait and see with that one...

So one area of snow may go to our south, one to our north, or we could get lucky and get one or even both, its still all to play for still it seems...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

theres some sleet/snow shrs moving along southern counties towards south surrey/into sussex they seem have become a little more heavier over last couple hrsdrinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms followed by snow (preferably on the same day!)

Hopefully they'll be more wintry inland - it's rain here (she falls over in shock lol!)

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

snowing here on the southcoast i feel this will be the last snowfall we will see here for awhile.

What really? or until tomorrow.

Edited by chionomaniac

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

snow events are lining up for us! but what ones are going to happen?.....unknw.gif even 24hrs before saturdays potential snow event the models still arnt certain cold.gif

snow for most on saturday evening worst affected is kent my model tell mebiggrin.gif