Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 24

Posted

I have only read the last page but has Kilmarnock recieved more snow than Kilmacolm today? :lol:

Driving back from Edinburgh it was dry until i hit the Fenwick moors near Kilmarnock, at about 5:30 it turned to complete darkness within 1 mile of driving from being sunny to very heavy snow. I thought the radio was exaggerating but it was really falling thick and fast covering the road and reducing visibility to a few metres. In the town itself we probably have about 1-2cm on colder surfaces and slush elsewhere. If it had been a degree or two colder we would probably of had a few inches :p

p.s Happy birthday CMD

I have only read the last page but has Kilmarnock recieved more snow than Kilmacolm today? :p

It looks like it Ross. Although Outer Kilmacolm has a good covering :lol:

Kilmacolm is rubbish for snow these days :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Good news, the era moderne is officially over! See historic winter thread. Anyway, the NMM is a beaut, firstly the suggestion of a few showers moving northeast post-9298-12663493435717_thumb.png then a more substantive risk for central areas tomorrow morningpost-9298-12663494294317_thumb.png

post-9298-12663494597717_thumb.png

And then this begins to appear post-9298-12663495796017_thumb.png

Happy birthday Catch!

LS

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

Thankyou very much to everyone for the birthday wishes. I did get snow on my birthday, just none has stuck, yet.

LS has beaten me to it, but I might as well put these up to add to my earlier posts. In support of the earlier GFS runs the NMM goes for some precip in the west of Scotland (for Ross B at 9am and then me at 11am tomorrow), this may well be snow:

post-2844-12663498762317_thumb.pngpost-2844-12663498937317_thumb.png

Nothing like sharing :drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Thankyou very much to everyone for the birthday wishes. I did get snow on my birthday, just none has stuck, yet.

LS has beaten me to it, but I might as well put these up to add to my earlier posts. In support of the earlier GFS runs the NMM goes for some precip in the west of Scotland (for Ross B at 9am and then me at 11am tomorrow), this may well be snow:

post-2844-12663498762317_thumb.pngpost-2844-12663498937317_thumb.png

Nothing like sharing rofl.gif

At least you got some - i've never had any on my birthdaylaugh.gif

A typical birthday chart http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/1998/Rrea00119980828.gif http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/1998/Rrea00219980828.gif

As you can see the blocking is in place but the uppers are just the wrong side of marginal - global warming for you!

laugh.gifrofl.gif

LS

Posted

Stv weather , Sean had the whole of the central belt having snow tonight from 10pm onwards

Ls i Remember that summer, i was very pregnant with my first child and was very uncomfortable. Some days were so hot. How i wish we could have a summer like that every year.

Posted

So then, looks like the trough is expected to intensify and move in overnight (the bit over Arran now?) :drinks: Although i'll be in Edinburger tomorrow at 9am catch :good:

At least you got some - i've never had any on my birthday

I was born into one of the coldest February spells of the last 100 years (1978). The maximum at Edinburgh on my birthday was -4C.

MrsCatch is an August birthday too, she was born into this:

post-2844-12663505132817_thumb.gif

It was 32C that day in Glasgow, more or less the warmest day in the last 100 years. Her poor mother....

So then, looks like the trough is expected to intensify and move in overnight (the bit over Arran now?) :good: Although i'll be in Edinburger tomorrow at 9am catch :(

That's what you get for actually having a job left to go to :drinks:

I will hopefully be studying though, and not radar watching, honest....

Posted

Radar showing the front still locked over N.Scotland with a heavy bursts near Aberdeen, with some very heavy bursts just to the north of Aberdeen.

Interesting to see Invent from the Met office doesn't go for any snow at all for Scotland tomorrow once the front lifts up, whilst the GFS/NMM goes for another band developing in the central belt tomorrow morning, so I do wonder who wil lbe right.

The NAE still suggesting a good 9-12hrs worth of snow for some near Inverness with the heavier stuff near Aberdeen transfering westwards.

Posted

I was born into one of the coldest February spells of the last 100 years (1978). The maximum at Edinburgh on my birthday was -4C.

MrsCatch is an August birthday too, she was born into this:

post-2844-12663505132817_thumb.gif

It was 32C that day in Glasgow, more or less the warmest day in the last 100 years. Her poor mother....

That's what you get for actually having a job left to go to laugh.gif

I will hopefully be studying though, and not radar watching, honest....

Could you find 21st feb 1980?

Posted

Could you find 21st feb 1980?

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/1980/Rrea00119800221.gif

yuck

My favourite chart from family birthdays has to be my grandad's. It must've been incredibly snowy in Buckhyne even with that chart

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/slp/1928/Rslp19281231.gif

My sis' isn't too bad either http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/1997/Rrea00119970404.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/1997/Rrea00219970404.gif

Posted

Wherever that shower over Arran hits is going to get a pasting! I'm betting on Kilmacolm personaly, looks a bit too far north for here. Won't be for a good few hours at its current speed though!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

I have no idea how to find a chart for my b-day (9-12-76).

Apparently my father had to drive my mum over slochd summit in a blizzard on the old A9 (still visible in parts there). Not sure if it was a particularly bad event as blizzards and slochd kind of go hand in hand.

So then, looks like the trough is expected to intensify and move in overnight (the bit over Arran now?) biggrin.gif Although i'll be in Edinburger tomorrow at 9am catch sad.gif

Been watching that although it's been largely stationary so far. Will stay up the entire night based on the STV forecast now biggrin.gif

Now that we have a tumbleweed smiley, how about a 'fallen asleep at desk' one.

Edited by scottish skier

Posted

Radar showing the front still locked over N.Scotland with a heavy bursts near Aberdeen, with some very heavy bursts just to the north of Aberdeen.

Interesting to see Invent from the Met office doesn't go for any snow at all for Scotland tomorrow once the front lifts up, whilst the GFS/NMM goes for another band developing in the central belt tomorrow morning, so I do wonder who wil lbe right.

The NAE still suggesting a good 9-12hrs worth of snow for some near Inverness with the heavier stuff near Aberdeen transfering westwards.

The Radar dos speaketh the truth!

However I can say that it is indeed very localised, having had snow since 4:30pm yesterday it has not amounted to much BUT nor has it been a waste of time, it's been snowing on and off all day but has been intermittent with rain (we must be just on the marginal bit!).. but it's white, it needs cleaing and the tree branches are very heavy again, The roads are bl**dy awful but everyone else I spoke to locally today said they had no worries.. apart from getting through the "Glens" (foundland cam!) .. here's hoping you all get it plus some.. the "bulls eye triangle!" mentioned by KW seems to have hit slightly north of here (yes it's populated, but not heavily so) and those to the west and north of me are white but couldn't care less.. this is minor compared to the rest of this year.. it should be photo time agin, but I do have to admit to being a tad fed up after two solid months of digging/sanding..etc..

btw completely off topic but my DS just showed me the "Duck Song" apart from the fact I laughed til I cried it reminds me on the weather, and the MO thread..

Got any Snow? - then watch it to th end... and apply to the model thread, hysterical!

Posted

So then, looks like the trough is expected to intensify and move in overnight (the bit over Arran now?) biggrin.gif Although i'll be in Edinburger tomorrow at 9am catch sad.gif

Looking at the sat images, there is some W-E movement at upper levels associated with this feature? Like a wee eddy from the main band which folks are enjoying up north.

Posted

Looking at the sat images, there is some W-E movement at upper levels associated with this feature? Like a wee eddy from the main band which folks are enjoying up north.

It would appear that it is marginal along the coast with sleet snow and rain. Its only above 500 feet it is falling as snow. I can only speak for my own area.........further east it may be different.

Snowing again here and current temp -0.5C

Posted

Yep, I can't stay up to watch it unfortunately but here's hoping for a foot of snow by morning so I don't need to go into work!

Posted

It would appear that it is marginal along the coast with sleet snow and rain. Its only above 500 feet it is falling as snow. I can only speak for my own area.........further east it may be different.

Snowing again here and current temp -0.5C

Time for a Huntly cam pic. Always delivers.

Wife wants a bigger house. I'm going to suggest we move therelaugh.gif

post-9421-12663548714117_thumb.jpg

Posted

Wherever that shower over Arran hits is going to get a pasting! I'm betting on Kilmacolm personaly, looks a bit too far north for here. Won't be for a good few hours at its current speed though!

Wonder if it will make it this far? Fog clearing and rose from -3C to -1C!!!!!

Where do you get the archive charts from, would like to see today 1971

Edited by Cheggers

Posted

Hi Cheggars......you blown your candles out now too? I personally know several people all born today.......strange was it a bank holiday or something 9 months before today?:D

There is a stream of tiny little showers, running across from east to west........you could get a dusting overnight. Some of those showers seem to arise from nowhere, heres hoping you strike lucky.

Posted

Hi Cheggars......you blown your candles out now too? I personally know several people all born today.......strange was it a bank holiday or something 9 months before today?:D

There is a stream of tiny little showers, running across from east to west........you could get a dusting overnight. Some of those showers seem to arise from nowhere, heres hoping you strike lucky.

Yes thanks, took a while longer than Catch, what with having another 7 to blow out, seriously need some O2 now. Not sure about bank holiday, may have been a wet damp Autumn though. :D

Would be nice if it made it before midnight

Posted

Well after an afternoon and early evening of wet snow at +0.5c which did not settle much but didn"t melt this mornings fall of about an inch it has turned to heavy dry snow in the last hour. Temperature is now -0.5c and snow settling fast with a fresh east wind looks like we will get a covering by morning.

Where do you get the archive charts from, would like to see today 1971

Just pick a date:

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=gfs;sess=

Yep, I can't stay up to watch it unfortunately but here's hoping for a foot of snow by morning so I don't need to go into work!

That precip band seems to be going NW :unsure:

Posted