Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 24

Posted

Great winters day here sunny, no wind and currently 1c. Frost remained on yesterdays snow all day in shaded areas so it looks as if it will be very frosty tonight.A lot of snowdrops out now but daffs are very slow to emerge just as it should be, April will do fine for them to flower.Its great to see a more normal season.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm dry summers

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A408638

Just in case your bored, just saw your post Gilly

thanks for replying Gilly and Cheggers, and we think we can forecast the weather! that really is heavy duty stuff.

SS2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Mega moan from me coming up! I am so bored with this chilly nothingness from the models for the foreseeable. I think I will throw in the towel now until spring has sprung. Would honestly prefer wind and rain to this..... zzzzzzzz.......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Hello?

tumbleweed.gif

This has got to be the driest low pressure I've ever seen. The radar shows all the prep circling around scotland just brushing the edges.

Cold uppers? Check.

Cold surface? Check.

Low pressure? Check.

Snow? Uh-Uh.

I think this low is aiming (to be a) high.

Posted

going to get very cold by the looks of it....

http://www.wzkarten3.../Rtavn16217.png

If thats GFS predictions, then they're 4-5 C too warm...biggrin.gif

Posted

If thats GFS predictions, then they're 4-5 C too warm...biggrin.gif

7 days away though so likely to be +11 by then. :yahoo:

Why so quite? Is everyone lamppost watching or as Blitzen has said "Fed Up"

Edited by Cheggers

Posted

7 days away though so likely to be +11 by then. pardon.gif

Must be the lack of precipitation. Kind of frustrating to have all the right conditions, even a low right over us, but the prep only skirting the edges of Scotland.

Seems the fife snow shield is expanding out of control....

post-9421-12664400933317_thumb.jpg

Edited by scottish skier

Posted

Very cold night -5C and no sign of white stuff.

Not bothered lamp post watching as there is little chance of anything apart from the odd draft around the window!!!:whistling:

Posted

We have some of that stuff that looks like soft hail...if you know what i mean. :lol:

Graupel?? I believe thats what soft snow granules are called.......:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Are the big soft ones not snow pellets? [Often get them in Spring in a Northerly.] Graupel the small icy bits you get often coming in off the sea [here in an Easterly] when it is not quite cold enough for snow at all levels.

There may be better definitions in the learning area.

Edited by Norrance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Hi. A few showers forming just off the Fife coast with perhaps more overnight but as ever we just won't know until it's falling. The beeb mentioned snow on Saturday, but this isn't shown really (not coming from the northeast at least) on the GFS. Oddly enough we need the pattern to shift a bit further north or east to bring in either more precipitation from the occluded front or easterly showers. I'll do a proper summary later perhaps but it's just too messy to make much of at the moment!

LS

Posted

Must be the lack of precipitation. Kind of frustrating to have all the right conditions, even a low right over us, but the prep only skirting the edges of Scotland.

Seems the fife snow shield is expanding out of control....

Still not turned the power down then. :lol:

Posted

Still not turned the power down then. nonono.gif

Seems the generator is out on the East Neuk. Think it's time to send in 007 before it takes over the world... "Ah, meester Bond. Vee haff been expecting you".

It is me, or is the front heading north/east over Mid Ingerlundshire picking up some steam again?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Saw online there that the temp in Glasgow is now -3. Didn't feel that cold when I was out there (did have a big jacket mind).

December/January have definitely toughened us up. This doesn't really feel like a cold spell. I want -5 by day dammit! mad.gif

The whole of Scotland is a big anti-snow dome now, looking at the radar :(

This has to be the worst low pressure for precip (away from the North).

I feel a bit better today so I'll try and spam the thread a little more :80:

A quick look through the models suggests that the cold spell will continue for a while yet. GFS ensembles not keen on it after the 23rd/24th but ECM sticking with it for at least another week.

We just need some precip!!!! Either that or we could shoogle Scotland out and under the arch of precip round Scotland. The North Sea and Atlantic are taking a pasting :80:

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

Real cold has returned this morning with frozen windows and iron hard ground, currently -8c here although other parts of Scotland are lower with Tulloch Bridge at -14c.

Posted

Real cold has returned this morning with frozen windows and iron hard ground, currently -8c here although other parts of Scotland are lower with Tulloch Bridge at -14c.

Overnight temperatures are much lower than forecast even on the coast here, can anyone give a reason for this, is cold low pressure unusual, or is it just that we are in the centre of the low pressure and have clear skies and no wind?

Posted

Cold this morning and it has ever so lightly started to snow... that's a surprise.

Edt: I can see why looking at the radar - a clump of ppt is heading in from the north sea - heading in a NW direction.

Edited by LadyPakal

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Overnight temperatures are much lower than forecast even on the coast here, can anyone give a reason for this, is cold low pressure unusual, or is it just that we are in the centre of the low pressure and have clear skies and no wind?

http://www.meteociel.fr/ukmo/run/UW6-21.GIF?18-06

The centre is generating precipitation further south, but we're left in a slack flow which isn't producing shortwaves, hence the dry weather. The last 'cold low' was, of course, December, when the low danced around Scotland for about five days, other low centres were formed and fronts moved around every few hours, just like what is occuring in the Midlands at the moment.

Anyway, we had a dusting overnight, but Montrose/Stonehaven look like taking the brunt of it.

Apart from that, and the stuff over the western and northern isles, mainly dry today.

LS

Posted

Hello?

tumbleweed.gif

This has got to be the driest low pressure I've ever seen. The radar shows all the prep circling around scotland just brushing the edges.

Cold uppers? Check.

Cold surface? Check.

Low pressure? Check.

Snow? Uh-Uh.

I think this low is aiming (to be a) high.

yes anything there bar the snow

Posted

HeHe.. MetO at it again.. issuing the Flash Warning after it starts snowing! :whistling:

Posted

Cold start this morning again for many parts of Scotland, I see that -15c has been reported at Braemar and Tulloch Bridge.

A bit disappointing that there hasnt been more snow in some central and southern parts of Scotland over the last 3 days but in some ways this is probably a good sign for more extended cold as the jet is way south.

Personally, I cant see any major incursions from the south west for a while yet (where's the energy coming to drive this?) and still think its more likely that colder air will move in from the north east.

The GEM and GFS this morning look more likely to me and hopefully the ECM will move that way over the next day or two.

In terms of snow for my area I'm sticking to that old rule of get the cold in place first and the snow will come.

Edited by Blizzardo

Posted

Cold start this morning again for many parts of Scotland, I see that -15c has been reported at Braemar and Tulloch Bridge.

A bit disappointing that there hasnt been more snow in some central and southern parts of Scotland over the last 3 days but in some ways this is probably a good sign for more extended cold as the jet is way south.

Personally, I cant see any major incursions from the south west for a while yet (where's the energy coming to drive this?) and still think its more likely that colder air will move in from the north east.

The GEM and GFS this morning look more likely to me and hopefully the ECM will move that way over the next day or two.

In terms of snow for my area I'm sticking to that old rule of get the cold in place first and the snow will come.

Certainly looks like remaining very cold for the next few days although a lot of scatter still on the 850's after the 24th. Time will tell.

Still -5C.......with beautiful blue skies.