Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 24

HeHe.. MetO at it again.. issuing the Flash Warning after it starts snowing! :(

Glad to hear somewhere is getting snow :)

This cool grey murk is getting a little tedious :D and by the looks of things nothing much is going to change any time soon. At this rate I am going to lose interest in the weather. Actually, I can now understand why people from other parts of the world find our obsession (in the UK) with the weather a bit weird. If you come from somewhere that the weather doesn't do much for days on end then the weather is just boring.

Edit: And there was me forecasting an interesting week ahead :D:(

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

Glad to hear somewhere is getting snow :)

This cool grey murk is getting a little tedious :lol: and by the looks of things nothing much is going to change any time soon. At this rate I am going to lose interest in the weather. Actually, I can now understand why people from other parts of the world find our obsession (in the UK) with the weather a bit weird. If you come from somewhere that the weather doesn't do much for days on end then the weather is just boring.

Edit: And there was me forecasting an interesting week ahead :blush: :rofl:

certainly looks unlikely there will be much in the way of snowfall!!! :wallbash:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm dry summers

Morning all, temp is -1c and it has started to brighten up after a bit of a dismal couple of hours, temp will probably get up to +4c this afternoon, no snow on the horizon here.

SS2

Posted

Morning all had a little dandruff shower during the night still cold though and would you beleive that yesterday was the lowest recorded here this year at -5.7. Iam higher up though.

Have a nice day. I will saints 5 hibs 1.............Nextwhistling.gif

Posted

Morning all had a little dandruff shower during the night still cold though and would you beleive that yesterday was the lowest recorded here this year at -5.7. Iam higher up though.

Have a nice day. I will saints 5 hibs 1.............Nextwhistling.gif

That was some result, must be looking forward to Saturday now!

Just to alleviate the boredom a little, by my calculations this winter is on course to be at least the third driest since 1959 (i.e. since local Met-O records began). If this weather keeps up it might even be the driest since at least 1959, beating 62-63 and 63-64.

Alleviate the boredom?? Sorry, I just added to it... :lol:

Great result for St. Johnstone by the way :) :) The newsreader used the word "thrashed" with some relish this morning :)

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

That was some result, must be looking forward to Saturday now!

Aye SS2, a great result for the SJ last night clap.gif

I think that the Hibees are faultering a wee bit noo, which is a shame because the SPL is needing a STRONG sustained challenge from outwith the top 2 good.gif

As for SJ againts your lot at the weekend, cannae see it as Big Boyd will always be in the right place at the right time hi.gif

Noo!

Where's ma snaw? It's nice and cald oot there again cold.gifhelp.gif

I will have tae look at some way o' destoying this fffn Fife snow dome bomb.gifbomb.gifbomb.gif

Ahrr fassa bassa oops.gif Did ah just say that oot loud rofl.gif

Big Innes

Posted

Up to +2C now........still a lovely day.

Never mind folks..........the weather has a way of changing its mind on us more often than not.....lets hope it going to do so again in OUR FAVOUR!! :lol:

I am both cynical and an optimistic......a conflict there isnt there?:lol:

Edited by Gilly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Good afternoon to Scotland from SE London...What a lovely day it was yesterday! I haven't seen any of the white stuff for TWO DAYS!

Posted

Just back from Aberdeen.

Very heavy snow between Laurencekirk and Stonehaven this morning. Single track with lorries unable to get up the hills. Did not expext that. Only a few cms when I left my house.

Is there not some hope of a little more snow late Friday, going into Saturday. Not been looking at many charts latley as was getting bit boring, but that was some snow this morningclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif Interest reinstalled!

Posted

Looks like we are in for an interesting 7-10 days if the GFS 1200 verifies with very cold overnight temps and the threat of heavy snow.

Why do I doubt it?

SS2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Looks like maxed out at Aviemore-2c, 3.5c lower than yesterday at 3pm. Could we break the-20c mark anywhere tonight?

[/ quote]

http://expert.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2010/02/18/basis12/ukuk/tcdc/10021906_1812.gif

Doubt it, too cloudy at Aviemore, though if it clears at Tulloch Bridge fairly soon (medium level cloud at -1.9C at the moment) -20C is possible, but I suspect closer to -16C- -18C. Though, according to weatheronline, Tulloch Bridge is now ahead at -4C already - with what appears to be fourteen hours of mainly clear skies and light winds, -20C is possible.

http://expert.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2010/02/18/basis12/ukuk/prty/10022000_1812.gif

Something to watch out for certainly.

LS

Posted

Saying that the 12z has rather swung the odds right back into Scotlands favour, indeed the 12z would give you guys up there several events for the alte weekend and early next week period so its still worth wathing for you guys up there!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Looks like we are in for an interesting 7-10 days if the GFS 1200 verifies with very cold overnight temps and the threat of heavy snow.

Why do I doubt it?

SS2

Because weather models are fairly volatile? Or is this a rhetorical question?

Anyway, it is an upgrade here, but I feel it needs to be a touch further south to avoid things getting too marginal.

The one thing missing from about the 2nd January onwards has been large amounts of precipitation for central Scotland, but this has meant it has stayed mainly cold though sunshine levels have not been especially brilliant at times IMO. KW has just done a post above but I'm not reading it until I've finished this post!

LS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

So much for the scottish snow fest this week its been dry here all week, england is looking to do a lot better in the next 7 dayswallbash.gif

Is it? Sunday through to Tuesday looks very interesting for most of Scotland.

Looks like Aviemore maxed out at -2c, 3.5c lower than yesterday at 3pm. Could we break the -20c mark anywhere tonight?

I reckon that some of the higher parts of Gleann Mòr might reach around -20'C, Tulloch Bridge looks like it might pull it off.

As an aside, I was reading an interesting article which was discussing that parts of Strathspey might have actually reached -30'C in past cold spell but due to lack of weather stations this has gone missed.

Posted

I reckon that some of the higher parts of Gleann Mòr might reach around -20'C, Tulloch Bridge looks like it might pull it off.

As an aside, I was reading an interesting article which was discussing that parts of Strathspey might have actually reached -30'C in past cold spell but due to lack of weather stations this has gone missed.

yeah I have always thought that, that somewhere in Scotland temperatures have been below -30 but we just havent had weather stations in the areas, albeit some of the areas will be extremely remote hence really difficult to record these mega low temps.Cheers

Scott

Posted

Wow - Beeb are going for some major snow in Central regions Sunday through to Monday..

Kiss of Death or what...

Posted

Indeed this is interesting BUT surely this means that previous cold temperatures have been higher than the actual minima, thus making this spell still less exceptional in terms of minima than previous low minimums? Also, does that not mean that the -89.2C at Vostok Station was probably not as low as global temperatures got anyway? Or perhaps this event was just a specific anomaly and in most other cold spells the areas not covered would've been the same temperatures or slightly higher than Braemar and Aviemore etc.

Looks like Loch Glascarnoch has taken a surprise lead to -6C, with Aviemore at -4.2C and Tulloch Bridge at only -4C with low cloud while the other two have clear skies http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/he/he_latest_weather.html .

Glen Ogle at -2.1C suggests that Tyndrum manual station might have a chance at -18C or below and it was the lowest minima on a few of the colder nights at the end of December/start of January.

Posted

yeah I have always thought that, that somewhere in Scotland temperatures have been below -30 but we just havent had weather stations in the areas, albeit some of the areas will be extremely remote hence really difficult to record these mega low temps.Cheers

Scott

Aye when you consider that Braemar's weather station is actually in the centre of the village, I'd imagine that just outside the settlement in some small glens -30'C must have been reached.

Indeed this is interesting BUT surely this means that previous cold temperatures have been higher than the actual minima, thus making this spell still less exceptional in terms of minima than previous low minimums? Also, does that not mean that the -89.2C at Vostok Station was probably not as low as global temperatures got anyway? Or perhaps this event was just a specific anomaly and in most other cold spells the areas not covered would've been the same temperatures or slightly higher than Braemar and Aviemore etc.

Looks like Loch Glascarnoch has taken a surprise lead to -6C, with Aviemore at -4.2C and Tulloch Bridge at only -4C with low cloud while the other two have clear skies http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/he/he_latest_weather.html .

Glen Ogle at -2.1C suggests that Tyndrum manual station might have a chance at -18C or below and it was the lowest minima on a few of the colder nights at the end of December/start of January.

Woah that's a lot to take in :) lol

1: Yes in terms of absolute minimum, this winter has not been anything particularly impressive.

2: I don't know about the micro-climates of the Arctic, although I'd imagine that as the record minimum is only about a 6'C departure from the average low, there must be very little in the way of large temperature differences which can be found in the space of 100 miles such as in Scotland or Norway for example. The Arctic is essentially just a very cold desert after all.

3. The Scottish Highlands went from a quite a densely populated region to a very sparsely populated region in the 19th century. Nowadays it is of course very sparsely populated and I'd imagine that most of the coldest spots in the Highlands are probably missed?

Posted

Aye when you consider that Braemar's weather station is actually in the centre of the village, I'd imagine that just outside the settlement in some small glens -30'C must have been reached.

I think that when the beeb interviewed the hotel owner about -22.4C they said that after -10 they didn't really notice the difference, but stillwould not like to be out and about in -30C.

-1 here and dropping fast.

One for Catch..... UFO files on national archive site.... Bonnybridge still top of leauge with over 600 a year, one last week by the hospital.

Posted

I think that when the beeb interviewed the hotel owner about -22.4C they said that after -10 they didn't really notice the difference, but stillwould not like to be out and about in -30C.

-1 here and dropping fast.

One for Catch..... UFO files on national archive site.... Bonnybridge still top of leauge with over 600 a year, one last week by the hospital.

Aye that was Altnaharra, that was old Donald Macleod or someone I mind. -30'C would be unreal! :(

-3'C in Inverness, 6'C drop in just over an hour.

Posted

Good afternoon to Scotland from SE London...What a lovely day it was yesterday! I haven't seen any of the white stuff for TWO DAYS!

Good to hear from you Pete........dont speak to soon .........the white stuff may follow you yet........:D

Posted

Feasgar math bho Glaschu - hope all is well in London town!