Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

I am jealous, but 3-4inches of snow is no snowmageddon!

It is when we are all desperate for it - my other half can't drive her car up to her horse - mondeo estate - has had to walk up to the farm - round trip of about an hour - accidents have been occurin and I prefer to be in doors and off the roads in this sort of weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

come up to Pencoedcae - the snow capital of Wales - everyone welcome

The way things are going we might have to start speaking eskimo -

I'm from cardiff orig - so

WHAT'S OCCURRIN'

ps. it's still snowin'

Haha :) There isn't any settled snow on the roads or pavements where my uncle lives at 200m in Cwmdare, I can't belive you have all that settled snow on the road at only 40m higher :) Gutting!

Posted

I am jealous, but 3-4inches of snow is no snowmageddon!

1_IRAN_461.jpg

When this happens is snowmageddon

Nice pic

We got more to come mind - two more fronts are gonna hit us over the next 3 - 4 days and drop their snow loads - this will just pile up on what we already have - it will freeze tonight what we've got - which means it'll hardly shift tomorrow before the next lot comes friday night/saturday morning - and the next with a meto warning for monday although GFS also had a front for sunday for us too - so it's just gonna keep piling up - especially up here

pppsssss - still snowing

Edited by andymusic

Posted

All of a sudden it's coming down heavy now. Slightly damp, but the first snow I've seen myself today.

Posted

Haha biggrin.gif There isn't any settled snow on the roads or pavements where my uncle lives at 200m in Cwmdare, I can't belive you have all that settled snow on the road at only 40m higher sad.gif Gutting!

you're welcome to come and see - we have been under the axis point of the front which has been twisting around above our heads - Pencoedcae village just outside ponty up the mega big hill called the graig or re-named the graigerhorn

All of a sudden it's coming down heavy now. Slightly damp, but the first snow I've seen myself today.

you're having a little of what we've been having for the last 6 and a half hours Joo

Posted

Lots of sleet this morning, then some lovely big fluffy flakes for about an hour - now back to rain in Brecon. It's settled a bit on the cars and grass and the tops of the hills. Are we likely to see any more snow or is it most likely to be rain from now on today?

Posted

Lots of sleet this morning, then some lovely big fluffy flakes for about an hour - now back to rain in Brecon. It's settled a bit on the cars and grass and the tops of the hills. Are we likely to see any more snow or is it most likely to be rain from now on today?

It's gonna clear now and then freeze overnight - then a reasonable day tomorrow and if the GFS model is right we'll be having more snow over Wales friday night into saturday morning

still snowing here

Edited by andymusic

Posted

snow has finally all but ceased - the odd flake now - but 7+ hours of falling and accumulating snow + snow for about 2 hours before that - that wouldn't stick - what a dayyahoo.gifdrunk.gif

Posted

It's gonna clear now and then freeze overnight - then a reasonable day tomorrow and if the GFS model is right we'll be having more snow over Wales friday night into saturday morning

still snowing here

Big downgrade in andy GFS charts rain glorious rain sunday monday bye bye welsh thread.

Posted

Big downgrade in andy GFS charts rain glorious rain sunday monday bye bye welsh thread.

saturday morning precip

Rtavn424.png

And temps

Rtavn4217.png

Saturday morning snow

rart_10022006_1812.gif?3052c98088534fc1e1adea26ff93714c

Posted

Yeah the 12z does give some snow to Wales on Saturday, then melts the whole lot with lots of rain before possibly more on Tueaday night...

However we shall see, the models are still very much in a state of flux over the evolution of the low pressure system.

Posted

I'd rather look short term Kieth for the next snow (snow for Swansea this time too saturday morning) - even though I got loads now - we may well have some rain in the day on sunday - but this may not be just yet (models flip floppin cause they ain't sure - the previous run had cold all day sunday) - but over night sunday into monday - more snow is forecast - and the meto has an advisory out for it too.

Yeah the 12z does give some snow to Wales on Saturday, then melts the whole lot with lots of rain before possibly more on Tueaday night...

However we shall see, the models are still very much in a state of flux over the evolution of the low pressure system.

Sunday night into monday

Posted

I'd rather look short term Kieth for the next snow (snow for Swansea this time too saturday morning) - even though I got loads now - we may well have some rain in the day on sunday - but this may not be just yet (models flip floppin cause they ain't sure - the previous run had cold all day sunday) - but over night sunday into monday - more snow is forecast - and the meto has an advisory out for it too.

Sunday night into monday

What i'd give for even a 1cm covering lol this evening!

Sunday night into monday

Centre of the low is over my house lol.

Posted

Right to start with I completely disagree that frontal snow just wont happen here in West Wales in february what a ridiculous statement to make, frontal snow has happened in april let alone february and I had snow today settling snow this morning just melted by lunch time had the precipitation been more west then we would have been in a sweet spot here also. Well that snowmageddon isn't much to cry about and it makes us welsh people look soft compared to what we're normally used to and have experienced so far this winter. Yest its a nice 2 inches but I wouldn't say anything more and it looks extremely wet, hardly the blizzard of the century that your making out, but then again snow turns us all into big kids I guess:P. This is a shot in the dark but I wouldn't be suprised to wake up to a dusting tomorrow in Western Wales shower formation is already getting underway according to net weather radar and with tempreatures falling its currenlty -2 here then my hopes for settling snow over night are almost definate, I think alot of people are put off when they see 6 degrees as a max tempreature in Western Wales yes if you live in tenby or st davids on the coast but indland places Lampeter etc will be struggling to get above 3 degrees. Tomorrow bodes well in terms of showers from about 11pm onwards tonight I would say and if the tempreatures remain below freezing for the night then settling snow won't be a problem. Just a shout from carmarthenshire to say don't be suprised to awake to a white landscape ;) just maybe we'll have the shower of the century rather than the so called "Blizzard" :shok:

Pob hwyl :)

Edited by adamjones416

Friday saturday our best chance adam heavy wintery showers, tried to keep a level head and i was right just rain sleet in swansea .dident get caught up with the ramping .too warm here for proper snow whatever the charts and the rampers said,need the heavy showers to drive down tempretures frontal snow will not happen this time of year in west wales .

Heavy snow here earlier but never looked like settling. A sleety mix though at sea level. Frontal snow is more than possible right down to the coast at this time of year. Especially if it falls overnight, and if there is colder air in advance of the front. More opportunities likely this weekend. After all there was snow cover here yesterday.

Posted

Haha :) There isn't any settled snow on the roads or pavements where my uncle lives at 200m in Cwmdare, I can't belive you have all that settled snow on the road at only 40m higher :) Gutting!

we have settled snow at 77mtrs here!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow

Heavy snow here earlier but never looked like settling. A sleety mix though at sea level. Frontal snow is more than possible right down to the coast at this time of year. Especially if it falls overnight, and if there is colder air in advance of the front. More opportunities likely this weekend. After all there was snow cover here yesterday.

Yup also had sleet here earlier on low ground. Looks like wintry showers will be around West Wales tomorrow as shown on the NAE:

http://expert.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2010/02/18/basis12/ukuk/prty/10021906_1812.gif

http://expert.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2010/02/18/basis12/ukuk/prty/10021912_1812.gif

Posted

Right to start with I completely disagree that frontal snow just wont happen here in West Wales in february what a ridiculous statement to make, frontal snow has happened in april let alone february and I had snow today settling snow this morning just melted by lunch time had the precipitation been more west then we would have been in a sweet spot here also. Well that snowmageddon isn't much to cry about and it makes us welsh people look soft compared to what we're normally used to and have experienced so far this winter. Yest its a nice 2 inches but I wouldn't say anything more and it looks extremely wet, hardly the blizzard of the century that your making out, but then again snow turns us all into big kids I guess:P. This is a shot in the dark but I wouldn't be suprised to wake up to a dusting tomorrow in Western Wales shower formation is already getting underway according to net weather radar and with tempreatures falling its currenlty -2 here then my hopes for settling snow over night are almost definate, I think alot of people are put off when they see 6 degrees as a max tempreature in Western Wales yes if you live in tenby or st davids on the coast but indland places Lampeter etc will be struggling to get above 3 degrees. Tomorrow bodes well in terms of showers from about 11pm onwards tonight I would say and if the tempreatures remain below freezing for the night then settling snow won't be a problem. Just a shout from carmarthenshire to say don't be suprised to awake to a white landscape tease.gif just maybe we'll have the shower of the century rather than the so called "Blizzard" tongue.gif

Pob hwyl smile.gif

We had mega heavy snow/blizzard for nearly 7 hours today - you'll just have to take my word for it - I'm so sorry you don't believe me - you had to be here to see the huge flakes and it pouring down for that length of time - I still can't believe it lasted that long myself, but it did - and you will be getting frontal snow friday night into saturday morning whether you like it or not! - just as the rest of Wales will be getting after you have had it 1st

These are not showers Adam on the chart below - it's a front due to cross the whole of wales from west to east

Edited by andymusic

Posted

If you kept an eye on the radar today Adam, you would have seen that Pontypridd was right under the axis point of the front that was over east wales - it had the heaviest snow for the longest time because the front was just twisting around on that point and therefore delivered all the snow to us here - I welcome anybody to come up to Pencoedcae and inspect the snow for what it is - it was truly amazing to see it fall for that length of time and that heavy

Posted

And it's still a blizzard outside - this has been amazing today - best part of nearly 6 hours of this blizzard

what height are you - that's very strange - your welcome to visit my blizzard -- as welsh wizard wants to - I think I might start selling tickets!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

I ain't ramping mate - telling the truth - come and see for yourself - I got more snow than I know what to do with - I'm sorry you haven't faired any better - it seems I might have been sitting right under the sweet spot of this front - twisting on it's axis and I've been right under the axis all day with heavy snow for about 6 hours continuous + a temp of 0 degrees outside = settling snow of a good 3 - 4 inches

help.gif Got flakes the size of 50ps now - gonna need a snowmobile shortly - your all very welcome to come to the village of Pencoedcae and look me up in Black Rd - to see the snow I got here

well all i did go to visit Andys blizzard,and if he does live at the post code he gave me (and i have no reason to think not) he is out in the wilds lol,no you got to travel up some lanes through a flood and after the flood it starts to get white and then thicker, i got there at 3.10 and it was snowing heavy with about 1 to 2 inches of lying snow.more than i had but not anywhere as much as the top of the bwlch,in fact the bwlch was very bad, height i think has made the diff today as on way back from andys place i went over gilfach goch and it was white up there also,not as bad as andys place but still some nice lying snow, so all bow to andy as he does live in a remote area that will get snow even in summer lol. what a lane andy,lucky i was in the truck as that pool (flood) would have ruined my car lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and warm summers

We had mega heavy snow/blizzard for nearly 7 hours today - you'll just have to take my word for it - I'm so sorry you don't believe me - you had to be here to see the huge flakes and it pouring down for that length of time - I still can't believe it lasted that long myself, but it did - and you will be getting frontal snow friday night into saturday morning whether you like it or not! - just as the rest of Wales will be getting after you have had it 1st

These are not showers Adam on the chart below - it's a front due to cross the whole of wales from west to east

We had constant snow (not very heavy, but still snow) for about 4 hours in cardiff. Again wet snow, and nice big flakes. Didn't stick tho. Temp hung around at 2c all day - not quite cold enough nonono.gif

Posted

well all i did go to visit Andys blizzard,and if he does live at the post code he gave me (and i have no reason to think not) he is out in the wilds lol,no you got to travel up some lanes through a flood and after the flood it starts to get white and then thicker, i got there at 3.10 and it was snowing heavy with about 1 to 2 inches of lying snow.more than i had but not anywhere as much as the top of the bwlch,in fact the bwlch was very bad, height i think has made the diff today as on way back from andys place i went over gilfach goch and it was white up there also,not as bad as andys place but still some nice lying snow, so all bow to andy as he does live in a remote area that will get snow even in summer lol. what a lane andy,lucky i was in the truck as that pool (flood) would have ruined my car lol.

Black road is a pretty nasty single track country road - glad you saw for your own eyes what I was getting all day today - sorry I live at the top of a mountain (admittedly not that high) but the snow today was amazing - I've not seen snow in the summer yet (not as bad as dowlais top then) usually out in the garden with the cows and sheep catching some rays or mowing the oversized football pitch I got out the back - keeps me fit anyway - you should have called in mate - I would have made you a cuppa!

Posted

Ourson, how close are you to the coast, that combined with the rise of temps in mid morning which is when the band really set in with any sort of strength probably wasn't condusive for it to settle, esp when its already wet on the floor. Saturday-Sunday seems a little better timing for lower levels of Wales.

Anyway going to close this thread now...

Edited by kold weather