Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Chat And Moods

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms followed by snow (preferably on the same day!)

Sorry to hear that John - hope it recovers soon! I'm still depressed about the thrashing we got from ManU yesterday but hey ho, no surprises there! Right then, swimming calls me.

Posted

I did think before I typed Childish, and I do stand by that, perhaps child like then? .... Snow is pretty beautiful to look at, when it' s fresh, but with this country it does not get replenished often enough for it to look scenic, what we end up with is mostly slush.

Mind you the last bout we had was pretty remarkable and the quality of the snow was maintaned for at least 10 days. I enjoy taking my dog out in the snow as much as anyone, and my Jack the Springer loves the stuff, and living neat the highest part of the Cotswolds then this year and last Winter there was some serious snow walks to be had.

But on the serious side Snow and Ice can cause havoc to some, the breaking of bones due to falls and the increase in road fatalities, and the cost to the economy adds up to a pretty unwelcome visitor to those whe have to count the cost, of course children don't see it that way at all..Do theywhistling.gif

Posted

I did think before I typed Childish, and I do stand by that, perhaps child like then? .... Snow is pretty beautiful to look at, when it' s fresh, but with this country it does not get replenished often enough for it to look scenic, what we end up with is mostly slush.

Mind you the last bout we had was pretty remarkable and the quality of the snow was maintaned for at least 10 days. I enjoy taking my dog out in the snow as much as anyone, and my Jack the Springer loves the stuff, and living neat the highest part of the Cotswolds then this year and last Winter there was some serious snow walks to be had.

But on the serious side Snow and Ice can cause havoc to some, the breaking of bones due to falls and the increase in road fatalities, and the cost to the economy adds up to a pretty unwelcome visitor to those whe have to count the cost, of course children don't see it that way at all..Do theywhistling.gif

I absolutely love snow, from watching it fall to watching it thaw..... and Im more than aware of the cost of it, in January my mum fell and broke her wrist very badly, so badly she had to be sedated to put it right, also my hubby has to commute to work, which is difficult/impossible in snow, economically this affects us personally, but you know what, I still love the stuff, and still excited about the coming weeks!! It doesnt make me childish or child like, Im more than aware of the implications, but if it means my kids can get to experience the good stuff then its all worth it!! Nothing better than days messing around in the snow IMO! Nothing so wrong with being child like is there once in a while? Last February really bought all our community together.... I look forward to it again!

Each to their own I guess smile.gif

Edited by Mrsf16

Posted

Just back from my match, we lost 3-1, I've torn my hamstring so now the back of my leg is completely black and it hurts. Good news is my brother now has to make the trip to Newcastle and back that I was doing. Back to Model Moods. They still look boring.

Im sorry but what do you class as "boring"?

Posted

I understand what your saying friend, but, unfortunately it does tend to be the snow that we all hope for! I often wonder about this and i guess it is because in our climate it is never guaranteed. If we lived in the arrid desert i spose we would get exited about rain (yuck).

I used to work outside (cavity wall insulator) and winter was a horrid time to work in, but i think to call 95% of the members here childish for looking foward to possible snow is perhaps a bit cruel?

All said in a friendly way, i dont want anymore sniping or digs at each other :-)

Jason

No, fair comment no sniping intended, just observing human traits I suppose, the fact we live in a temperate climate is just fine with me, and any extreme weather you can keep, be it rain , or snow, and yes even sun.

I live in Tewkesbury and the floods in 2007 nearly cost us everything and of course some it did, people died too, and the river fishing has never really recovereddry.gif

So I am happy without aLl these extremes, however I have to concede that we have to accept that these ''once in a lifetime'' events will appear every year or so.

You think rain is Yuck? Well I spent a whole year without seeing a drop (Bahrain) and believe me you do long for it, (along with Cows milk and Fresh Eggs) However I did enjoy experiencing the extreme hot weather and humidity, like any other weather nut, but a panorama of sand as opposed to green fields, no contest.

Please accept my apologies If I was rudehelp.gif

Edited by smarty81

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: rubbish boring weather

No, fair comment no sniping intended, just observing human traits I suppose, the fact we live in a temperate climate is just fine with me, and any extreme weather you can keep, be it rain , or snow, and yes even sun.

I live in Tewkesbury and the floods in 2007 nearly cost us everything and of course some it did, people died too, and the river fishing has never really recovereddry.gif

So I am happy without aLl these extremes, however I have to concede that we have to accept that these ''once in a lifetime'' events will appear every year or so.

You think rain is Yuck? Well I spent a whole year without seeing a drop (Bahrain) and believe me you do long for it, (along with Cows milk and Fresh Eggs) However I did enjoy experiencing the extreme hot weather and humidity, like any other weather nut, but a panorama of sand as opposed to green fields, no contest.

Please accept my apologies If I was rudehelp.gif

All good matey, you mentioned a few things that i guess gets us all on forums and which is why i frowned on the "childish" comment. I love weather in all its forms (obviously!) and it is the extreme events that gets me very exited, although im mature enough to understand the bad side to some events. That is why i think most of us wish for the Snow, and lots of it. Im not keen on the slushy stuff but for the small times that we get decent amounts im 'childlike' in my exitement for it! I know what you mean ref the missing things, East Africa was the same, i loved it but missed a little bit of cooler air!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

so more of the same for awhile what excellent charts 2010 has been excellent infact 2 years now ive seen snow at a fair depth more than ive seen for many years here in the south.

i think after the first model wobble whilst it worked out what was happening in the atmosphere there now in pretty good agreement.

will it be like this.

this was january here on the sunny southcoast i luved it it was awsome.:D

Edited by badboy657

Posted

I will be saving this image on my hard drive for a long time. the GEM T+240

I know its in lalal land but for snow and cold lovers its a dream come true. if that came off i would be speechless!!! i will look on this image in the height of summer and remember what a fantastic winter 09/10 was.

post-9498-12655535821917_thumb.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

I know its in lalal land but for snow and cold lovers its a dream come true. if that came off i would be speechless!!! i will look on this image in the height of summer and remember what a fantastic winter 09/10 was.

When i looked at that, i was just wondering how much all the threads would be gob smacked, it is really something else that would put the biggest smile on cold lovers faces.

But who knows anything is possible.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

i noticed that lastnight and i said the same thing lol.

Posted

When i looked at that, i was just wondering how much all the threads would be gob smacked, it is really something else that would put the biggest smile on cold lovers faces.

But who knows anything is possible.....

If that came off the country would be buried in snow...Scotland would be wiped off the map lol.

Posted

I'm beginning to get the hang of the Model Output Discussion thread. I find the best way to figure out who's posts might be worth reading is to ignore anyone who uses those silly moving faces in their posts, or write "lol" when they're obviously not really laughing out loud. Also be very wary of posts by people who have the word snow, cold, frost, cool, freeze or any other chilly related word attached to their profile name as they are very likely to be biased towards seeing 20ft of snow on the way.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Not all that disimilar to what we had in mid December

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/2009/Rrea00120091220.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rgem2401.gif

Posted

I absolutely love snow, from watching it fall to watching it thaw..... and Im more than aware of the cost of it, in January my mum fell and broke her wrist very badly, so badly she had to be sedated to put it right, also my hubby has to commute to work, which is difficult/impossible in snow, economically this affects us personally, but you know what, I still love the stuff, and still excited about the coming weeks!! It doesnt make me childish or child like, Im more than aware of the implications, but if it means my kids can get to experience the good stuff then its all worth it!! Nothing better than days messing around in the snow IMO! Nothing so wrong with being child like is there once in a while? Last February really bought all our community together.... I look forward to it again!

Each to their own I guess smile.gif

Sorry to hear about your Mum, that sounds pretty painful, that's one of the points I was making, the number of injuries sustained from falls, one Fireman slipped and fell and died in January. I dont know about your area but here all the pavements were left covered in ice, that I don't understand at all, I would have thought local councils would have cleared the pavements.

Of course wishing for snow is child like, what other reason would we want it? And as far as bringing the community together, that really is an indicement I suppose on communities...still I guess a session in the snow is ten times the value of a Playstation. Look forward to it by all means, but I bet your Mum might have some reservations.nonono.gif

Posted

Sorry to hear about your Mum, that sounds pretty painful, that's one of the points I was making, the number of injuries sustained from falls, one Fireman slipped and fell and died in January. I dont know about your area but here all the pavements were left covered in ice, that I don't understand at all, I would have thought local councils would have cleared the pavements.

Of course wishing for snow is child like, what other reason would we want it? And as far as bringing the community together, that really is an indicement I suppose on communities...still I guess a session in the snow is ten times the value of a Playstation. Look forward to it by all means, but I bet your Mum might have some reservations.nonono.gif

Thank you. Yes, it was, and she's still milking it now!! hheheheheh you're right about the reservations, she wont even go out in frost ATM! I spoke to a local council worker and he said they only grit pathways in city centre, I guess thats the compensation culture we live in... if they dont grit then its not their responsibilty it's not done properly. rolleyes.gif

I've come to the conclusion that all the willing in the world wont make the white stuff fall from the sky, a case of wait and see really! fingers crossed we both get what we want weather wise!

Edited by Mrsf16

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

12Z awful! high pressure too close for NW areas to get snow, just hope the trend for friday onwards isnt to bring the high closer,

st albans etc 12 feet of snow, but horrid for here

Posted

12Z awful! high pressure too close for NW areas to get snow, just hope the trend for friday onwards isnt to bring the high closer,

st albans etc 12 feet of snow, but horrid for here

Depending on your location the 12z is great for some and poor for others.

draw a line from the wash to the IOW and south and east of that is in the firing line.

Northamptonshire =yahoo.gif

Posted

Just to make a point I do not normally complain but have you noticed how polarised some of the posts have become on the main model thread recently? One minute you may have a post saying that we are going to have a prolonged severe cold spell based on these models, whereas the next you will get a post like it is looking like a "damp squib", "uninspiring", "nothing to right home about" based on the same models! It is like people contradicting each other making it very difficult to know which poster to believe! Why do you think this is? Do you think this is a sign of how spoiled we have become this winter with some now expecting severe cold and heavy snow as the norm in every cold spell and others getting depressed over it not being as good as it has been and putting their expectations to high? I am sure it would be different if we have had a mild December and January and this upcoming cold spell was looking to be the first cold/snowy spell of the winter! Do you think the mood would be a lot more positive on the model thread if that where the case? It would be nice to have a more impartial view for a change!

Luke

Just to make a point I do not normally complain but have you noticed how polarised some of the posts have become on the main model thread recently? One minute you may have a post saying that we are going to have a prolonged severe cold spell based on these models, whereas the next you will get a post like it is looking like a "damp squib", "uninspiring", "nothing to right home about" based on the same models! It is like people contradicting each other making it very difficult to know which poster to believe! Why do you think this is?

Well, you've got one camp who see what they want to see and blindly ramp everything up no matter how small the potential (and attack anyone who says anything against their fantasies) and another who try to be realistic and objective. It would be nice if people were objective yeah but ah well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

But how do we measure cost?

One of the reasons why I often like hanging around this forum is that it provides a nice escape-ism from the media, government and corporations alike ramming down our throats that it is selfish/childish to want snow, or indeed any kind of weather other than mild & moist in winter and dry & settled in summer, because of the relatively high amounts of inconvenience and disruption that otherwise result. The keystone of this philosophy is a general idea that "I want to have fun" is a childish attitude, all that matters is money, health and safety, and that sensible adults follow that philosophy and adopt an emotionless "professional" approach whose ultimate goal is to serve the economy.

The trend on today's media forecasts is strongly towards increased use of value judgements like "fortunately north-east England will miss the storms and escape with just a bit of low cloud", "I'm afraid it's going to snow today" etc, which combined with the general dumbing down, is telling us, "we don't cater for weather enthusiasts any more".

Snow brings a lot of benefits as well as downsides, for example winter sports, people enjoying themselves in it, the asthetics (from a scenery and meteorological point of view) and the bonding of communities, both through making the most of it and helping out those who are suffering because of it. As a society we are becoming detached from our natural surroundings and the social factors that make human beings tick over, it is just assumed that as long as we have money, health and safety, they will come naturally. But they won't if we're supposed to ignore their benefits! I think people are entitled to dislike snow by all means, but those of us who think otherwise should also be entitled to our views, and that's often where our media falls down.

If this was the Model Output Discussion thread, I would certainly sympathise with the view that there's too much pro-snow subjectivity (that thread is for discussing the models), but it's the Model Moods thread which is meant to be an outlet for such subjectivity so I think the repeated value judgements are fine here.

Posted

Thank you. Yes, it was, and she's still milking it now!! hheheheheh you're right about the reservations, she wont even go out in frost ATM! I spoke to a local council worker and he said they only grit pathways in city centre, I guess thats the compensation culture we live in... if they dont grit then its not their responsibilty it's not done properly. rolleyes.gif

I've come to the conclusion that all the willing in the world wont make the white stuff fall from the sky, a case of wait and see really! fingers crossed we both get what we want weather wise!

An aside....

I have a near 2 year old Springer (Jack), last February he pulled me over on ice, straight on my backside I landed with legs akimbo....however this seemed to have upset him somewhat, and in icy weather all I have to say is 'Ice' and he gently walks with me ....bless

Yep this lack of gritting is a farce, just shows how unprepared we are for snow and ice, and what about those that are gripped by fear at the wheel, and refuse to go more than 5mph, and then of course you have those brave souls who manfully WALK to work just to show the rest of us up as to being a load of wimps!!!

Well I have just looked at the Country File weather forecast for the week ahead, and it does seem that you at least will get your wish, while I at least may be spared, at least 'till Friday, doesn't look as though there will be a great deal of snow fall but with high pressure dominating frosty nights.... Take care of your Mumfriends.gif

Posted

But how do we measure cost?

One of the reasons why I often like hanging around this forum is that it provides a nice escape-ism from the media, government and corporations alike ramming down our throats that it is selfish/childish to want snow, or indeed any kind of weather other than mild & moist in winter and dry & settled in summer, because of the relatively high amounts of inconvenience and disruption that otherwise result. The keystone of this philosophy is a general idea that "I want to have fun" is a childish attitude, all that matters is money, health and safety, and that sensible adults follow that philosophy and adopt an emotionless "professional" approach whose ultimate goal is to serve the economy.

The trend on today's media forecasts is strongly towards increased use of value judgements like "fortunately north-east England will miss the storms and escape with just a bit of low cloud", "I'm afraid it's going to snow today" etc, which combined with the general dumbing down, is telling us, "we don't cater for weather enthusiasts any more".

Snow brings a lot of benefits as well as downsides, for example winter sports, people enjoying themselves in it, the asthetics (from a scenery and meteorological point of view) and the bonding of communities, both through making the most of it and helping out those who are suffering because of it. As a society we are becoming detached from our natural surroundings and the social factors that make human beings tick over, it is just assumed that as long as we have money, health and safety, they will come naturally. But they won't if we're supposed to ignore their benefits! I think people are entitled to dislike snow by all means, but those of us who think otherwise should also be entitled to our views, and that's often where our media falls down.

If this was the Model Output Discussion thread, I would certainly sympathise with the view that there's too much pro-snow subjectivity (that thread is for discussing the models), but it's the Model Moods thread which is meant to be an outlet for such subjectivity so I think the repeated value judgements are fine here.

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply, and I do agree with what you say, on reflection I suppose a snow event is something that rather more of us look forward to than not. However as this is a Weather Forum I too was rather unsettled by the over enthusiasm attached to the wishing of snow rather than reporting the actual likelyhood, and for this Forum I feel it is somewhat dissapointing.