Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Yes could be VERY impressive in some areas I feel. It is INCREDIBLY wet here though so despite heavy snow, it's only beginning to settle very slightly on the lawn and plant pots, nowhere else at all and of course, getting wetter and wetter on the ground all the time.

Posted

Maybe a multi-cellular thundersnow massive storm? Please?

Ony ever seen thundersnow once. Unlike last Feb when much of the SE had PLENTY OF IT!!

Here's hoping. :)

Oh and here's a link to that BBC reporter event when thundersnow happened I can't remember where, but somewhere in the south east...

Phil.

Posted

Is it falling as Snow yet , or mainly rain ? There is a very thin line of Snow extending across the Midlands on the Netweather radar , but mainly showing as rain apart from SE Wales.

Edited by snowmadchrisuk

Posted

Ony ever seen thundersnow once. Unlike last Feb when much of the SE had PLENTY OF IT!!

Oh and here's a link to that BBC reporter event when thundersnow happened I can't remember where, but somewhere in the south east...

Phil.

It says Kent on the video description :)

Posted

Phil.

Was watching that only the other day. Quite out of the blue! Would love to see that, especially at night as in the video.

Edited by locneverstop

Posted

Is it falling as Snow yet , or mainly rain ? There is a very thin line of Snow extending across the Midlands on the Netweather radar , but mainly showing as rain apart from SE Wales.

Defintitely snow but not settling, just making everywhere very wet!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Advisory out for next Monday already!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

A few flakes blowing around in the wind here (Penkridge, Staffs) ...Its debatable whether or not 'the main course' will make it here or not, but it'll be damn close either way!

Posted

I think patience is required by some on this thread, i think it will be more than just a wet snow event(not sure why IB was so quick critisizing the MO about there warnings when it has just started) and some places could see quite a bit of snowfall today. The main action is not suppose to start around this afternoon/evening time so it would seem things are on track.

Some places could see 10CM but in general 2-5CM(and probably a bit more) is easily possible.

Posted

Hmmm judging by the radar we will literally get 5x as much snow here if the "streamer" edges just 5 miles to the east. Thought it would have done by now, but hasn't........

Anyway still too early to tell - may all expand so everyone gets a lot (both west and east), who knows.

Posted

I'd love to see lightning at night, period! Last time I saw anything like that was back in July 1994.

There was another occasion in May 2005 but dopey me slept through the lot. High level cumulonimbus giving off loads of intracloud lightning. Ironically my younger Brother said to me the next morning... "Did you see all that lightning last night?"

I could have killed the git for not waking me up at the time. That said, I was not expecting anything like that. (But he could have woke me up the git)!

Anyway, I digress. Still quiet up here in Solihull. Temp still at 2ºc , DP 0º and humidity at 87%

Phil.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & thunder storms.

I'm trying to be patient.....I'm resisting the urge to get up every 2 mins to look out of the window.....honest.

Its grey cloud but my sensors reading 4c I'm willing it to drop.

Posted

This lot is DEFINITALEY intensifying. Check the 11:30am METO radar!

As Harry Hill would say... Cold air v mild... FIIIIIIIGGGGHHHTTT!!

Phil.

Posted

Is the front moving faster that it was predicted to, I thought this was to be a late afternoon evening event?

Posted

Is the front moving faster that it was predicted to, I thought this was to be a late afternoon evening event?

i really dont have high hopes for this settling it has to be said, i think a few hours of precip is most likely, starting to dissipate late afternoon/early evening.

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

Advisory out for next Monday already!

I think the word "already" gives it away. We've had advisorys out for the Midlands a few time recently and all I've seen is a few limp wet flakes of sleet!

Monday is FI in this current set-up.

Edit: Today.. or more this evening, is hopefully a different story.

Edited by kar999

Posted

It got moderately heavy here, now gone very light again, so the main intense part of band still not here yet - therefore will be a while yet before it gets to central Brum etc...

(Assuming there is more intense snow still to come? Sky looks a fair bit lighter to the S again unsure.gif )

Posted

It is nice to look at but we have so much water on the ground now, it's just getting wetter... and wetter... and wetter.

It gets to being really fat flakes in heavy bursts and then back to smaller snizzle - right now it's back to sleet.

Now rain again...

Edited by Serendipity

Posted

i really dont have high hopes for this settling it has to be said, i think a few hours of precip is most likely, starting to dissipate late afternoon/early evening.

The temp here is certainly on the wrong side of marginal even though the dew point is -1c (according to the weather channel). Still I'm always wrong in my predictions for weather so...I'm saying it will be wet snow that won't settle....lets hope that true to form I'm very very wrong.