Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

yeah, this bands really marching along at a fair old pace, typical.

It may be moving fast at the moment, but I think it's northward movement will slow down in the next 2-3 hours, then more of an easterly movement will begin.

Posted

A downgrade for W Midlands according to the NAE model.

http://expert.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2010/02/18/basis06/ukuk/rsum/10021912_1806.gif

Precip totals suggest E Midlands being favoured.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Still plenty of snow reports about. :wallbash:

Posted

Well I had better get a move on and get my paper round done before the rain moves in :wallbash:

10.25am and you haven't delivered the morning papers yet ??

lIGHT SNOW in leicester at the moment which im hoping is a good sign as I can't even see what i'm getting now on radar .

Posted

Not so worried about the totals given in MetO warnings, as long as we're in them it's all good.

We were predicted nominal amounts a couple of times in January and ended up with a lot more.

This winter's starting to become like a religion. I, for one, definitely have blind faith:good:

Posted

Well I had better get a move on and get my paper round done before the rain moves in whistling.gif

Don't be so pessimistic, Nick. It will snow.

Just not here probably if what TEITS says is correct. :-(

Phil.

Posted

A downgrade for W Midlands according to the NAE model.

http://expert.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2010/02/18/basis06/ukuk/rsum/10021912_1806.gif

Precip totals suggest E Midlands being favoured.

Thanks for that TEITS - my location is right underneath that 17 :wallbash: I'll be sure to report later to see if those sorts of totals actually arise.

lIGHT SNOW in leicester at the moment which im hoping is a good sign as I can't even see what i'm getting now on radar .

Must be a very local shower mate, nothing over here in Oadby, but I can see a very light area of precipitation over W Leicester. Better things to come later I feel.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

I think the NAE has overdone how far SE it is imo. I might be wrong however.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Not morning papers, just the local freebie lol. They don't usually get them until Thursday evening anyway due to school so no real rush...apart from to avoid the inevitable cold rain!

Posted

Thanks for that TEITS - my location is right underneath that 17 :wallbash: I'll be sure to report later to see if those sorts of totals actually arise.

Must be a very local shower mate, nothing over here in Oadby, but I can see a very light area of precipitation over W Leicester. Better things to come later I feel.

although its a good model, its not necessarily 100 percent accurate, i remember in the past it overestimating precipitation totals by quite a bit.

Posted

although its a good model, its not necessarily 100 percent accurate, i remember in the past it overestimating precipitation totals by quite a bit.

I know I know, is there another high-res model that shows something similar/different? I think someone earlier said the NMM had the precipitation going farther north with the NAE keeping it a little further south. Would be interesting to see the latest NMM output too.

Posted

Light snow flurries going on but brightening skies behind. Can't see anything on the METO radar in or around Solihull so I'm guessing at convective actvity?

That said, The sky a couple of hours or so ago did have that hazy look that you would see on the verge of a thundery breakdown in Summer. Imagine this set up in July/August. Even Jane Louise would see a storm*

*Maybe!

Phil.

Posted

Light snow flurries going on but brightening skies behind. Can't see anything on the METO radar in or around Solihull so I'm guessing at convective actvity?

That said, The sky a couple of hours or so ago did have that hazy look that you would see on the verge of a thundery breakdown in Summer. Imagine this set up in July/August. Even Jane Louise would see a storm*

*Maybe!

Phil.

There does seem to be a little convective activity popping up around here. Little pockets appearing on the radar!

Sun has just burst through here. Go back in!

Coventry recording 9C too at the moment.:):)

Edit: DP for Birmingham down to -1

Edited by locneverstop

Posted

There does seem to be a little convective activity popping up around here. Little pockets appearing on the radar!

Sun has just burst through here. Go back in!

Coventry recording 9C too at the moment.:):)

Coventry is NOT recording 9c

Posted

It's just a glitch on the radar temps... I wasn't actually being serious...

OK , A Lot of people have there Weather Stations in Sun spots and believe there incorrect readings .. Glad to see your not one of them :) Cov temp at the min is hovering between -1 and 1 degrees

Posted
  • Location: Leicester City Centre (Home) Ashby-De-La-Zouch (Work)
  • Location: Leicester City Centre (Home) Ashby-De-La-Zouch (Work)

Currently looks to be more north than the NAE was showing? Seems to be following the GFS track? Unless it suddenly changes direction!

Posted

OK , A Lot of people have there Weather Stations in Sun spots and believe there incorrect readings .. Glad to see your not one of them :) Cov temp at the min is hovering between -1 and 1 degrees

Definitely no. Common Sense prevails when Birmingham is recording 1C :) Quite a temperature shift otherwise!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms

It's now snowing here - not heavy yet but gradually getting heavier. As this is the leading edge of the precip, it'll be interesting to see if it keeps snowing or turns to sleet/rain as it gets heavier.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Nothing happening here at the moment really. The odd spot of what I think is rain. Temp and dp around 1 but I guess they would drop a little with some precip. It SHOULD reach me fairly soon - the first bit I mean - so I'll keep you all posted!

Posted

Another very foggy start to the day here, im not quite sure today's front will reach here, im gueesing the light blue drizzly still will but the heavy stuff will probably stall soon then start sliding east.

However the 06z is one of the best runs for Snow in the Midlands ive ever seen!

Posted

Still at 1ºc. Now seems that the main frontal cloud is moving in. High to mid level altocumulus and lowering so should see some wet/white stuff in the next hour or so methinks. :)

Phil.

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

That makes my blood boil! Big difference between 'tornado' and 'funnel cloud'.

Did anyone ever catch that youtube video of the tornado in netherton? Hilarious!

Edit: the audio is a must with this

Bostin eh? :)

It did touch down, albeit briefly, and was widely reported at the time. I think Torro ivestigated it. See my second post here .. I think the links are dead now.

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/38717-rfmi-tornadoes-fc-15-16-june-07/page__p__1000949__hl__saltwells__fromsearch__1entry1000949

I was only half a mile away from it when it happneded and it took off a few roofs, uprooted trees and demolised a few walls. There was a clear path of damage about 1/4mile long along the length of Cradley Road.

Back to today... a bit of nowcasting is in order and time of day will be crucial for temperatures. After dark might be interesting but I hope it's after rush hour as well.