Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

I think for the Midlands there are really 2 major questions -

a) At what time precisely is the wind direction expected to change?

cool.gif Will the snow "run out of puff" in south wales before getting here?

We dont the wind direction to change, you can have stong northerly winds with a low arrivng from the south , u should no thatrolleyes.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

im not sure what I will get but I reckon you certainly will see 4 inch's +

Temp as slightly dropped here with a Thundery looking sky which I havent seen since last Summer

Where I am, approx 15-20 miles NW of Brum, my heart says NMM is bang on, and a dumping is on its way....my head says NAE rules the roost, and some light rain/sleet will be all she wrote

Posted

Does anybody know when MO update their warnings? I feel if MO stick to their guns and don't back down then odds on it'll happen.

Slightly worried about the level of the isotherm. We need heavy PPN to drag it down to the surface.

Posted

Just seen a few odd flakes coming down in Evesham to add to the handful of snow grains that fell overnight - so a snow day even if nothing else happens! But I think this afternoon good be interesting :whistling:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

seems miles too warm, warmer than this time yesterday, not very optimistic now at 2°C, bbc charts look awful, may not be as good as yesterdays wet snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

I think the NMM may be slightly over doing it on how far North West this goes. Then again i think the NAE has it slightly too far South East so somewhere inbetween perhaps. Thankfully, either way, as long as any snow is heavy enough, i am fortunately in a location where i should do well enough this evening.

Posted

i honestly think this will be another non-event for the west midlands. id love to be proved wrong, but:

1) the fact it is likely to rain/sleet first means this is providing a poor basis for any settling snow

2) the number of times marginal events have let us down in the past, i feel this is just another one of those events, conditions arent at their best, the weather front is likely to arrive mid afternoon, perhaps a tad later. besides, given progged temperatures for tomorrow, if it did settle, we'd be lucky to see it last past tomorrow morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Quite a few snow reports from the South West this morning however i think they will decrease in a few hours when it begins slightly too warm imo.

Posted

i honestly think this will be another non-event for the west midlands. id love to be proved wrong, but:

1) the fact it is likely to rain/sleet first means this is providing a poor basis for any settling snow

2) the number of times marginal events have let us down in the past, i feel this is just another one of those events, conditions arent at their best, the weather front is likely to arrive mid afternoon, perhaps a tad later. besides, given progged temperatures for tomorrow, if it did settle, we'd be lucky to see it last past tomorrow morning.

Rain/Sleet first may not have any bearing. I remember a past event where it rained heavily for half an hour before it turned to snow and we still ended up with 4+ inches.

What we need is for the precip to be heavy enough to null the effect of the wet ground.

Edited by locneverstop

Posted

Indeed there have been quite a few events where snow follows rain and i was like 'any snow will never settle now'. November 18th 2007 or aound the date brought rain and sleet all day then some heavyish snowfall in the evening brought a covering almost instantly. :)

However there are times when the snow never sticks.

Edited by Blizzards

Posted

Rain/Sleet first may not have any bearing. I remember a past event where it rained heavily for half an hour before it turned to snow and we still ended up with 4+ inches.

What we need is for the precip to be heavy enough to null the effect of the wet ground.

no but given rule of thumb, if the initial precip of rain/sleet is heavy, it is providing a poor basis for any settling snow. the snow may still settle, but the snow will likely just melt onto the warm moist ground. elevation is obviously helpful in these situations.

Posted

-15c in Tulloch Bridge last night. Bit nippy. :)

Posted

no but given rule of thumb, if the initial precip of rain/sleet is heavy, it is providing a poor basis for any settling snow. the snow may still settle, but the snow will likely just melt onto the warm moist ground. elevation is obviously helpful in these situations.

I do agree, dry ground would be much more helpful. I was just pointing out that we may not need it, if conditions are just right. That's a big 'if' though!

Posted

dont you just hate the words wintry mix, makes my spine tingle :)

You just wait until we hear the word 'Mini tornado' again this year...:)

Posted

You just wait until we hear the word 'Mini tornado' again this year...:)

That makes my blood boil! Big difference between 'tornado' and 'funnel cloud'.

Did anyone ever catch that youtube video of the tornado in netherton? Hilarious!

Edit: the audio is a must with this

Edited by locneverstop

Posted

I saw a funnel cloud from my back garden at home in Hertfordshire last June during that day when some really intense storms broke out. I'd never seen anything like it, it was a fantastic lightning display, I've got some pics of it here if anyone's interested. Can't wait for summer after looking at those photos, haven't seen a decent convective shower for far too long!

Anyway, back to today and I'm refusing to get too hopeful for actual accumulations. If the precip arrives around 4-6pm then I feel it will be too wet to settle, but if it hangs around for a while after dark I guess that could increase chances of sticking.

Edited by Tommyd1258

Posted

I saw a funnel cloud from my back garden last June during that day when some really intense storms broke out. I'd never seen anything like it, it was a fantastic lightning display, I've got some pics of it here if anyone's interested. Can't wait for summer after looking at those photos, haven't seen a decent convective shower for far too long!

Anyway, back to today and I'm refusing to get too hopeful for actual accumulations. If the precip arrives around 4-6pm then I feel it will be too wet to settle, but if it hangs around for a while after dark I guess that could increase chances of sticking.

Amazing those are! I think I'll have to start taking photographs this year...

I think we will see at least something even if it is a dusting. Watching the radar this morning the front seems to be growing, with what I think is some convection in the channel? I'm hoping it'll stall on approach this afternoon and not steam roll straight through...

Posted

That makes my blood boil! Big difference between 'tornado' and 'funnel cloud'.

Did anyone ever catch that youtube video of the tornado in netherton? Hilarious!

Edit: the audio is a must with this

LMAO, only in Netherton. :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

I saw a funnel cloud from my back garden last June during that day when some really intense storms broke out. I'd never seen anything like it, it was a fantastic lightning display, I've got some pics of it here if anyone's interested. Can't wait for summer after looking at those photos, haven't seen a decent convective shower for far too long!

FANTASTIC PICS!!! Beats my summer storms anyday!!! Nice One! good.gif