Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Morning all

Met Office re-issue of the warning has kept the warning area pretty similar - M4 north type event. Of course in reality between now and monday that boundary could shift another 30-50 miles north or south

But i'm guessing in terms of monday (certainly judging from the latest FAX output below) there is some consistency (albeit slight) in the placement of the LP

http://www.meteociel.fr/ukmo/fax/fax84s.gif

Far more marginal than last nights +96 chart, however I think its another situation where staying on the NWern flank of the LP will be crucial if you want to see snow

SK

Posted

Is anyone else thinking how funny it would be to see Ian and Kris in some sort of face off. In the blue corner...In the red corner...

Like a weather forecasting olympics. Speed reading charts to see who can get the forecast out the quickest and which one can correctly forecast the weather in Minehead. There would have to be a round in which they have to say something mental in the forecast, such as strawberry trifle and it has to make sense.

Just me then? Ok, I'll get my coat... :cc_confused:

Posted

The heat of the day "relatively speaking" seems to be working on the showers in the SW over the last 30/60 mins. This should continue for the next few hours, with snow showers bubbling up in places, slow moving and heavy.

Posted

It's been nice here in Bath today too... Still some lying snow up by the racecourse!...

The sun has been out for most of the day, although the clouds are starting to build up now...

It's quite pleasant outside, but a definate "nip" in the air when you get a breeze!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

The sun is lovely today, it finally has some warmth in it!

There are some beefy snow showers around though, and in the wind the warmth from the sun might as well be coming from the freezer.

Posted

Ah really! Thats just a few miles west of me so it must be, Im near Newton Poppleford, just had a look out the back again and its definitely getting interesting to the west and north west now! can see stuff falling perhaps it will drag the temperatures down enough, probably some hail in there anyway!

Edit: looks like it should nearly be over you now

Edited by StormMad26

Posted

oh really interesting thanks, yep hasn't quite got here yet though but almost here. Seems to be splitting with a lighter bit in the middle heading towards me which is typical!

Edit just started hailing

Edited by StormMad26

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Out of a normal cumulus congestus cloud has grown a nice big snow shower just to my west which looks to be heading this way. Can tell it's a snow shower as it isn't overly grey at the bottom and can see the snow curtains flying out the edge of the cloud on the southern edge. Seems to be moving at some pace.

Posted

Okay, the shower has arrived but as hail instead. At least it's not rain! Temperature is also decreasing.

Posted

Okay, the shower has arrived but as hail instead. At least it's not rain! Temperature is also decreasing.

Sorry to nose, ond Wyt ti'n Gymro? are you a Welshman?

Posted

your website is good stormmad, ill think ill favourite that, ideal to see local weather conditions accurately!

Thanks very much :blush: I like to keep my website up and maintained well as my interest although ideally my anemometer could be a bit higher but its not bad..

That shower didn't do much at all here, just some brief small hail for about 1 minute then it stopped.

Posted

Sorry to nose, ond Wyt ti'n Gymro? are you a Welshman?

Da bnawn. Do, dwi hanner Cymraeg.

Good afternoon. Yes, I am half Welsh. The Welsh side of my family originate from Porthmadog and Aberystwyth. I haven't lived in Wales myself but am slowly learning it so you'll have to excuse any careless mistakes I make when writing in Welsh lol.

On a weather note: I'm not sure where all the precipitation is as we're supposedly under a shower at the moment but nothing is falling. The recent light hail shower hardly dampened the road.

Posted

Urgh, must not be cold enough for snow. Had a heavy shower of hail and now drizzling on the back edge with the sun about to come out again. :closedeyes:

Posted

Sleet here now, with some fairly large(ish) snow flakes mixed in...

Very light ppn though. Hopefully a good omen for later!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Looking at the radar, it looks like Weston is getting a fairly decent shower. Nothing in Nailsea currently.

Posted

Latest NAE 12Z for 24hrs time, not much to grumble about really.

I would say though that currently 24 hrs is the limit of anything reliable, beyond this time confidence drops away like water down a storm drain.(just look at the model thread)

post-6326-12665950528217_thumb.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Had it all today, bar the rain. Snow, hail and warm sunshine. Can't complain really. Nothing settled for any length of time at this height, but places a little higher seemed to get some.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

still seems its all to play for over next day or so although we could do with it in the night really for lower temps to aid settling ect.