Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Looks like about 4-5cms from this mornings snow here, but there was a full cover already existing on any north facing areas of grass. If we dont get much melt today then tommorow we could be up to the 10cms mark (in places) quite easily if the nmm model is correct.

Would you mind telling me what the NMM suggests for our regions tomorrow. The NAE is excellent but unfortunately my NW extra subscription run out.

Just add excellent sight outside with this latest snowfall on top of our existing snowcover.

Posted

post-6740-12667418504417_thumb.pngpost-6740-12667418641517_thumb.png

There you go teits, looks like an all snow event based on that, doesnt look as intense as today though. Todays system seemed to arrive a few hours early, a repeat of that would be nice.

post-6740-12667420158017_thumb.gif

NAE not bad either.

Posted

whoa good covering here. 12cms from this event. did;t tell kids so they will be pleased this morning. Best thing was being up at 5.00am to watch the first few flakes fall. temps were -3.8 so it all fell as snow and settled straight away by 5.30 everywhere was white over with thin cover, went back for 40 winks So when i woke a 7.00am (although kept looking out of window between naps) it was great to see a thick covering everywhere. :cc_confused:

Posted

Without doubt Derby's biggest snow event of the year so far. Another hour or so of snow I guess as a nice additonal radar track brings it in from west of Uttoxter and snowing heavily still

Edited by Kirk Langley

Posted

post-6740-12667418504417_thumb.pngpost-6740-12667418641517_thumb.png

There you go teits, looks like an all snow event based on that, doesnt look as intense as today though. Todays system seemed to arrive a few hours early, a repeat of that would be nice.

post-6740-12667420158017_thumb.gif

NAE not bad either.

Cheers matey.

If the NAE is correct then we could see around 10cm tomorrow. The combination of our recent snowfalls and tomorrows could mean some impressive snow cover despite a slight thaw later on.

Posted

Cheers matey.

If the NAE is correct then we could see around 10cm tomorrow. The combination of our recent snowfalls and tomorrows could mean some impressive snow cover despite a slight thaw later on.

Yea id expect most roads in the sun to clear inbetween each snowfall its the fields and gardens that dont see to much of it that some decent depths could build up in.

BTW the radar returns over the north east now are very impressive. They could easily achieve 20cms at that rate, only thing stopping them maybe the rising temps

Posted

2in on hard surfaces in Edgbaston, 3.5in on grass. More sledging for the kids!clap.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

bit of a non-event here....about 1-1.5cm of snowfall, was actually expecting quite a bit more, and the radar loop suggests I should have got more providing that some of the midlands thread snow reports are actually accurate and not overcooked

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Still snowing in Derbyyahoo.gifreckon bout 3 inches. Only thing is temps are rising rapidly. 1 deg now. Just hope it doesn't turn to rain. crazy.gif

I'm about 5 miles from Stafford, and its raining here with a rapid thaw :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Another decent snow event here.I guess similar to Thurs around 6-7cms.Just about stopped now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!
yahoo.gif woke up to hearing the lovely sound of silence and muffled tyres. Woke up at 8am to 2.5" of snow in Notts. FINALLY!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!! I'm still hoping tomorrow gives some snow but I dont have my hopes up too far, as Im scared it might rain. Oh well.. At least we have some white stuff today!

Posted

Rubbish again in Wordsley.

Barely a cm and its all melted now. We've not had decent lying snow here since the 1st February. I give up now...tomorrows event will probably be rubbish here while everyone else is reporting inches of snow.

Posted

yahoo.gif woke up to hearing the lovely sound of silence and muffled tyres. Woke up at 8am to 2.5" of snow in Notts. FINALLY!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!! I'm still hoping tomorrow gives some snow but I dont have my hopes up too far, as Im scared it might rain. Oh well.. At least we have some white stuff today!

I wouldnt worry about rain for your area, Id say i would be as far north as rain is likely to fall but im confident it will be snow with rain/sleet being 50miles further south.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Got about 1.5 inches last night, not bad. But expect a rapid thaw now, temperature is skyrocketing.

Posted

Anyone think the colleges/schools will be shut tomorrow? I have so much course work in for tomorrow i need to get it all done and I don't think I will have by then ahha.

You best hope it starts snowing early on for that to happen, If it starts about 3-6am then there would be a good chance of problems on some roads which would make it a posibility.

Posted

Great to hear Nottingham has got some good snow for once! Annoyingly, I am in Gloucester for the weekend but saw good snow on Thursday down here. It will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow- I am not convinced yet as to how far North it will all get yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

oh poo- its raining now and thawing like a bugger!

large_FloodRain-453.jpg

me going to tescos....

I would love to say it will snow tomorrow here, but unless we have another super cold night like last night, I dont know if we'll get that... Nottingham has its own micro climate.. like last thurday it was similar to leceicester with it snowing for HOURS but it was so wet out and the ground was so warm that when I woke up I found it looking like a brazilian rain forest as oppossed to winter wonderland.. we shall see though! I am praying for clear skies tonight and the system to hit us at the same time as today pretty much. GFS still has us down with the sleet picture which doesnt boost confidence,dry.gif but BBC seems to think we will get some. I hope so! Makes up for all the snow we didnt get most of the winter! laugh.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

oh poo- its raining now and thawing like a bugger!

me going to tescos....

I would love to say it will snow tomorrow here, but unless we have another super cold night like last night, I dont know if we'll get that... Nottingham has its own micro climate.. like last thurday it was similar to leceicester with it snowing for HOURS but it was so wet out and the ground was so warm that when I woke up I found it looking like a brazilian rain forest as oppossed to winter wonderland.. we shall see though! I am praying for clear skies tonight and the system to hit us at the same time as today pretty much. GFS still has us down with the sleet picture which doesnt boost confidence,dry.gif but BBC seems to think we will get some. I hope so! Makes up for all the snow we didnt get most of the winter! laugh.gif

It will barely get north of Birmingham tomorrow, so the chances of anything falling in Nottingham are slim.