Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Yep thats the start of the frontal development occuring there Nick, models suggest it should continue to get more precip filling in the holes over the next 3-6hrs, then cross Wales and reach the west Midlands early in the morning. This is probably the perfect time of day for such a feature to arrive in a marginal set-up as the night time cooling has helped out.

So for the next 6hrs or so, keep an eye on those temps and dews...

Thanks for the update KW, you have been a valuable source of info during this cold spell!

Duna duna duna duna duna duna duna duna f*** off wanderers west brom lol.

Ah you're catching on :cc_confused:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

The showers are moving slightly NE yes? So the big clump will miss most of the midlands...

Its going to develop all nicely soon or is now. Dont worry we will be hit nicely. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Fab thanks Blizzards, my laptop keeps freezing when I try and look at the charts so I'm having to go by what's posted on here and it's quite hard to get a balanced perspective at times.

We need more snow, we've holes in our cover at the moment!

Edited by Serendipity

Posted

This place is like a morgue tonight! Can't believe people have something better to do than snow watch on a Saturday night...

Posted

This place is like a morgue tonight! Can't believe people have something better to do than snow watch on a Saturday night...

haha everyones out of steam given this has been such an epic winter! its just "another snow event"...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

The showers are moving slightly NE yes? So the big clump will miss most of the midlands...

They look like they are heading NE but as the low pressure moves from West to East and crosses the country those showers will move Eastwards too. They are embedded in the low pressure system so when that moves W to E overnight as will those awesome looking bands of showers :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

nearly 18Z time folks, varies for different areas but for me I need mondays low further north, wednesdays low further south, thursdays low further South

Posted
tumbleweed.jpg

Posted

I don't want to ruin things but looking at the GFS it looks a bit too marginal, even here it is looking very marginal but for you guys even more so. Am I wrong in thinking this?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Mondays PPN is further North than the 12z on this run. Just as marginal though i think.

Posted

Mondays PPN is further North than the 12z on this run. Just as marginal though i think.

yeah it is, great track but problem is timing, arriving in day, gfs precip charts only show sleet

Posted

yeah it is, great track but problem is timing, arriving in day, gfs precip charts only show sleet

If only this were one month earlier!

Posted

Well my sleep patterns are a bit messed up due to having a cold, so I shall likely be awake when the snow hopefully hits here around 4-6am.

Looking at the radar Im not going to get my hopes up too much in case it turns out weak and patchy.

This winter has been special and I am very happy with the snow we've got here - in terms of number of times we've got a dusting, number of opportunities to enjoy watching snow fall, length of cold spell & snow laying on ground, number of times that watching radar has been entertaining and nailbiting, number of times the models have delivered amazing scenarios, number of near misses. The only area it has failed to live up to plenty of previous winters in my lifetime (born 1975) has been depths and disruption. At least one of the Feb 09 snow events gave us better depths than we've had this winter, and nothing comparable to some of the snow of my childhood has occurred. Not that Im exactly wishing for the sorts of disruption to electricity that I recall from one particular event in the late 80's or 1990, and the depths I experienced a few times in the late 70s and 80s may be exagurated in my mind as I wasnt very tall at the time, but I am still looking for the icing on the cake in terms of a memorable quantity of snow to round off this winter nicely. I dont expect to get it so if something does come off in the next week I shall be pleasantly overjoyed.

I don't want to ruin things but looking at the GFS it looks a bit too marginal, even here it is looking very marginal but for you guys even more so. Am I wrong in thinking this?

For which day?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Well my sleep patterns are a bit messed up due to having a cold, so I shall likely be awake when the snow hopefully hits here around 4-6am.

Looking at the radar Im not going to get my hopes up too much in case it turns out weak and patchy.

This winter has been special and I am very happy with the snow we've got here - in terms of number of times we've got a dusting, number of opportunities to enjoy watching snow fall, length of cold spell & snow laying on ground, number of times that watching radar has been entertaining and nailbiting, number of times the models have delivered amazing scenarios, number of near misses. The only area it has failed to live up to plenty of previous winters in my lifetime (born 1975) has been depths and disruption. At least one of the Feb 09 snow events gave us better depths than we've had this winter, and nothing comparable to some of the snow of my childhood has occurred. Not that Im exactly wishing for the sorts of disruption to electricity that I recall from one particular event in the late 80's or 1990, and the depths I experienced a few times in the late 70s and 80s may be exagurated in my mind as I wasnt very tall at the time, but I am still looking for the icing on the cake in terms of a memorable quantity of snow to round off this winter nicely. I dont expect to get it so if something does come off in the next week I shall be pleasantly overjoyed.

For which day?

i was in Nuneaton today Steve, fair bit of snow left on the grass and fields, more than what we have in Leicester.

Posted

i was in Nuneaton today Steve, fair bit of snow left on the grass and fields, more than what we have in Leicester.

Yeah Ive got no complaints. From my radar & forum watching this season I get the impression that Nuneaton has been a bit luckier than Leicester on a few occasions, we've shared some of the disappointing misses earlier in the season, and Leicester has been luckier than Nuneaton on a few occasions too. As I enjoy watching snow fall, no matter how lightly, and I dont get too sad when it doesnt settle, Im especially greatful for all the times Nuneaton just managed to scrape within range of a passing snow cloud and get a little something. Today I saw several grains of snow falling from the sky, radar made it look like I met have gotten slightly more than what I ended up seeing but it still counts for something in my book.

Edited by SteveElbows

Posted

Very cold and clear out now, a surprising amount of snow left from thursday evenings fall. Temp is -1.5C and was checked around 20 mins ago so sure to have dropped a bit more.

Just a waiting game now for tonights snowfall...

Posted

Well me and my wife have both come down with a nasty fever and can barely move.

So i might miss any snow outside being stuck here under the duvet on the sofa! If i'm still here downstairs later i might muster some energy to open the curtains!

Posted

the lows next week too far north, all regions in midlands need them to trend south in future runs

Posted

the lows next week too far north, all regions in midlands need them to trend south in future runs

Although the 18z still isnt good for us on the whole, its alot better than the 12z was and just a shift southwards would do the trick.