Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

The snow is just stopping now.

Showers to follow. Only started accumulating on all surfaces about 10 mins earlier. Typical :p.

Posted

John I respect your opinions as you are a respected poster on these forums - there is a BBC bias regarding any extreme weather event in Wales - period - I take your point that my understanding of what goes on at the meto's head quarters is certainly a mystery to me as I've never been there - but I am subject to their forecasts - and take a real interest in the weather myself - so I suppose details that appear incorrect to me - seem to be worth mentioning - I don't think criticism without reason is a good thing for anyone - being a musician fundamentally - constructive criticism can be very helpful though - I'm sorry if anything I've said has upset you in any way - but I have to air my own thoughts and views on the subject of weather and the way various bodies use that information - I take everything on board you have said though

Anyway folks - on a lighter note - it's stopped snowing!

Spoke to soon - it's snowing again

No you have not upset me Andy but I do like to see constructive criticism and, at times, your seems not contstructive-hence my post.

Posted

John I respect your opinions as you are a respected poster on these forums - there is a BBC bias regarding any extreme weather event in Wales - period - I take your point that my understanding of what goes on at the meto's head quarters is certainly a mystery to me as I've never been there - but I am subject to their forecasts - and take a real interest in the weather myself - so I suppose details that appear incorrect to me - seem to be worth mentioning - I don't think criticism without reason is a good thing for anyone - being a musician fundamentally - constructive criticism can be very helpful though - I'm sorry if anything I've said has upset you in any way - but I have to air my own thoughts and views on the subject of weather and the way various bodies use that information - I take everything on board you have said though

Anyway folks - on a lighter note - it's stopped snowing!

Spoke to soon - it's snowing again

I take note of both the above but yet I remember going back to December when the same conversation errupted on here. Regardless of experience etc in meteorology, its a valid point that sometimes the MET get it wrong and I feel its biased towards england. Thats all I have to say - I rely on accurate weather information with regards to flight planning etc, and I cannot fault the met for this service. Its the wider subject of forecasting to the general public who have little or no interest in these kind of forums, so dont know these issues, but can cause confusion. Points noted though everyone.

Posted
  • Location: Upper Cwmbran NP44 S E Wales - 5 Miles east of Newport 150m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: SACRA member
  • Location: Upper Cwmbran NP44 S E Wales - 5 Miles east of Newport 150m ASL

Everything white here in Upper Cwmbran currently 0.4C and snowing heavy. Looks like stopping within the hour as front moves on

Cwmbran 150 m asl

#

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather, wind, snow, heat, storms

Pretty much stopped here. Lets see what happens as the afternoon wears on.

Posted

Pretty much stopped here. Lets see what happens as the afternoon wears on.

lots of showers coming in - could well continue the wintry theme into the evening

Posted

The snow is just stopping now.

Showers to follow. Only started accumulating on all surfaces about 10 mins earlier. Typical tongue.gif.

Stopped - turned to dtizzle - stopped - now snowing harder than it was earlier although still nothing on the floor here in Newport

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow

Good to see people having snow- Had snow here today when i was out at about 250m was heavy and sticking to the top of the mountain.

Snow should turn back to rain for the low ground of Southern Wales later as some milder air starts to move up from the South. Also snow to come in N/NE Wales where the colder air is still in place as the front runs into it:

http://expert.weathe...022318_2306.gif < Upper air

http://expert.weathe...022318_2306.gif < Dewpoints

Posted

^ same :unknw:. Showers coming this evening :D.

-

Slightly off topic but does anyone know how many days of snow we've had this winter so far in Wales?

I'm curious as to whether we've had more days of snow than rain too! :clap:

Thanks in advance.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Just for those in North Wales.

Penmaenmawr on the coast has a dusting judging by this webcam... http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/northwest/sites/trafficcams//pages/penmaenmawr_roundabout.shtml

Posted

All stopped here, managed a very light dusting in the end...better than nothing.

you had your snow Jay you've been wishing for for ages - well done mate

Posted

^ same tongue.gif. Showers coming this evening smile.gif.

-

Slightly off topic but does anyone know how many days of snow we've had this winter so far in Wales?

I'm curious as to whether we've had more days of snow than rain too! tongue.gif

Thanks in advance.

Can't give you precise stats - but I'd estimate that this years snow has out wayed last years easily

Cheers lol, how many inches do you have now?

snow has currently stopped - even with it being heavy today - I can only say that we've added a couple of cms - and that's mainly on the grass - nothing or hardly nothing on the roads - the bits where we had a fair bit of depth from the last snows has added a couple of cms too

Posted

hi all the snow has stopped here also but did stick a little but lots on mountains,in fact the bwlch mountain road has been closed again,i did try and drive up there but the sign is up showing closed,as you get to the top of nanty there is snow on pavements and roads slushy,but as you go towards bwlch it is snow on roads,so i bet the top of bwlch has had quite a bit.i will try tonight to go up when the wife fetches my truck home but was not chancing it in the car lol.

Posted

hi all the snow has stopped here also but did stick a little but lots on mountains,in fact the bwlch mountain road has been closed again,i did try and drive up there but the sign is up showing closed,as you get to the top of nanty there is snow on pavements and roads slushy,but as you go towards bwlch it is snow on roads,so i bet the top of bwlch has had quite a bit.i will try tonight to go up when the wife fetches my truck home but was not chancing it in the car lol.

very wise mate - we don't want anymore accidents

Posted

Snow has stopped here now. Nothing settled here apart from the grass and cars. Back at my school everything was white!

Posted

Snow has stopped here now. Nothing settled here apart from the grass and cars. Back at my school everything was white!

more showers on the horizon in the channel heading for wales - let's see if they are still wintry

Posted

It snowed contiuously heavy from 10 o clock this morning untill about half past two. Was alot more than i expected no rain at all. not much accumilated however apart from on the higher hills and on the grass etc, any more to come or will these be rain, tempreature is colder now if anything? where's the milder air?

Posted

It snowed contiuously heavy from 10 o clock this morning untill about half past two. Was alot more than i expected no rain at all. not much accumilated however apart from on the higher hills and on the grass etc, any more to come or will these be rain, tempreature is colder now if anything? where's the milder air?

GFS had this colder air down for us till the evening, yesterday and this morning - so these showers coming in now (and with the sun going down) may still turn out to be wintry

Edited by andymusic

Posted

GFS had this colder air down for us till the evening, yesterday and this morning - so these showers coming in now (and with the sun going down) may still turn out to be wintry

Useless really thouch because as soon as the mild air comes any settling snow etc will only melt.

Posted

Useless really thouch because as soon as the mild air comes any settling snow etc will only melt.

well I suppose it's better than nothing at all

GFS 12z - warms things up from tomorrow, but only for a couple of days - as early as from thursday night into friday the colder air and those temps start to come down again as we get into the weekend