Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Nice surprise today.

just glad you got your snow Jay

GFS has more wintry struff lined up for us over the weekend and into next week also

So this isn't the end of winter just yet

Just enjoy the snow today folks

moderate snow now

Edited by andymusic

Posted

Snowing lightly south of Carmarthen, not settling, temp 1.7C and very slowly falling.

Edited by Totoro

Posted

just glad you got your snow Jay

GFS has more wintry struff lined up for us over the weekend and into next week also

So this isn't the end of winter just yet

Just enjoy the snow today folks

moderate snow now

Is it settling by you? - it is a bit here.

Posted
  • Location: Upper Cwmbran NP44 S E Wales - 5 Miles east of Newport 150m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: SACRA member
  • Location: Upper Cwmbran NP44 S E Wales - 5 Miles east of Newport 150m ASL

This frontal system seems a little later than forecast because it won't hit Cwmbran until about 1130 ish....

It's also going to come up against very cold air, we're currently at 1.2C here in upper Cwmbran and had quite a few snow flurries this morning.

I know that the front is going to head north as the day progresses but it has to get passed south wales first..

Interesting different forecasts about. Radio Wales saying some real significant snow where it snows lasting into the afternoon....

I'm now on 'dark shady area 'watch because the lamp posts are no good in the daylight

Good luck all...even if it is only a brief snowspell...lots of rain to come for the reats of the week but things looking complicated on Sunday...worth watching

Cwmbran 150m asl West Pontnewydd 5 miles east of newport

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather, wind, snow, heat, storms

Just been to Aberfan. Very chilly out there. Fingers crossed. Waiting in anticipation for it now. I had it pegged for 11:15 in Merthyr.

Let's wait and see.

Could be mass exodus from my work place around lunch time if it comes off.

Posted

Just been to Aberfan. Very chilly out there. Fingers crossed. Waiting in anticipation for it now. I had it pegged for 11:15 in Merthyr.

Let's wait and see.

Could be mass exodus from my work place around lunch time if it comes off.

I'd say it's looking potentially pretty bad blackjack from what's happening here right now

update - Met office do still have a warning out for Wales - but some numpty at the met office when they updated their south west forecast - turned off the red warning area on their main map

meto now warn of upto 15cm for parts of wales, they warn just after it starts.

GFS had this sussed over two days ago - seems they don't wanna take any notice of it - I believe the GFS has a great predictive capability regarding preceip and temps short term - seen it time and time again - while other models flounder all over the place - meto would do well to work this one out and take the GFS model a little more seriously to help them with their forecasting - they did have an advisory out to give them their due though

Orange flash warnings are "now" event warnings anyway - but it is a bit late in the day I suppose

Thought I'd be a good boy scout and I've sent a "snow report" into the boys at the meto - you can do the same - go onto the starting page of the met office and then go to the form from there

snow flakes are getting larger and snow is getting heavier

everything's starting to turn white - although I already had quite a bit of snow left over from the last lot

Edited by andymusic

Posted

i tell you what if this does come thicker and heavier then it could be fun as the wind is quite strong today. and if it did last a good few hrs.looking at radar it will pass through in about 2 hr 30 from start to finish.maybe 3 hr but hopefully it may stall a bit.

Posted

everything's starting to turn white - although I already had quite a bit of snow left over from the last lot

Not even settling here lol.

Edited by grab my graupel
When you make a one lined comment, please don't quote the whole post

Posted

This is interesting - according to the raintoday radar - the heavy stuff hasn't even reached me yet - yet it's banging it down here - what's gonna happen when the heavy stuff gets herecold.gifcold.gifcold.gifcold.gifcold.gifcold.gifcold.gifcold.gif

Posted

Still waiting with baited breath here in Merthyr. Not a sausage at the moment.

Meto seem to be switching warnings on and off. Whats going on?

Posted

It is snowing here. Very fine snow which is being blown around so not sticking here :)

I want the 10cms I was forcast by the met. where has our weather warning gone?????

Posted

Agreed. It has just started down in town (Merthyr) drinks.gif

Edited by Blackjack

Posted

I'd like to make an official announcement

As from later today the Graigerhorn will once again be officially open - available for bob sleigh, luge, skeleton, sledging and all round sking

It is snowing here. Very fine snow which is being blown around so not sticking here mellow.gif

I want the 10cms I was forcast by the met. where has our weather warning gone?????

it's not gone - someone at the met office has pressed the wrong button for the main map - if you go into the warnings for wales it's still there

Edited by andymusic