Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

I've added anyone interested in this setting up a welsh only weather service as friends to my profile - anyone else that is interested - please let me know - I'll seriously look into this - I can't guarantee the outcome - but it'd be lovely to be able to go somewhere on the net and reliably see a weather service that takes care of our lovely country

I think we've got a few more hours of snow yet Barb especially in the valleys

that'll be Merthyr then Blackjack

Im a cartographer, if you want some help with mapping...until about a year or so ago I was living down the road from you in Pontyclun. I do agree with you that on the national forcast Wales does seem to get a bum deal of it usually.

Posted

I'm getting that all too familar slushy feeling...

Time to move to outer Mongolia perhaps.

still snowing here - don't think you need to move that far - Aviemore looks like most of the winter they've been snowed up - move to Scotland - won't be as nice as wales though - I do like scotland mind for a trip away - to get away from it all

still snowing here - don't think you need to move that far - Aviemore looks like most of the winter they've been snowed up - move to Scotland - won't be as nice as wales though - I do like scotland mind for a trip away - to get away from it all

It's snowing but its light (with odd heavier bursts) and because temps are above freezing it's not properly sticking. Must have happened 6-7 times this winter.

Posted

precip in West Wales seems to be getting a lot heavier now - still snowing here moderately - accumulating a little also - but as barb has said- because ground temps are a little up road surfaces etc won't be effected that much generally speaking - also because snow is falling during the day - it can be cold enough even during the day for problems on the roads to happen - just like our january snows - but normally in Wales day time snowfall doesn't bring with it such a bad travel problem outcome - usually because our roads system is used so much (gritters help too)

Posted

It's snowing but its light (with odd heavier bursts) and because temps are above freezing it's not properly sticking. Must have happened 6-7 times this winter.

Snowing quite a bit in Newport but too wet on the floor to accumulate unfortunately

Posted

Snowing quite a bit in Newport but too wet on the floor to accumulate unfortunately

think you'll find a different story when you get home from work Steve

Finally got proper snow here on Mon/Hereford border. Small flakes but heavy and settling already. I notice on the SW thread that Ian Fergusson thinks the snow might last longer (into this evening) over the Forest of Dean which is a similar altitude to us and just to our east. I wonder if school will close early today, could be a tricky journey later.

Posted

Finally got proper snow here on Mon/Hereford border. Small flakes but heavy and settling already. I notice on the SW thread that Ian Fergusson thinks the snow might last longer (into this evening) over the Forest of Dean which is a similar altitude to us and just to our east. I wonder if school will close early today, could be a tricky journey later.

I always thought that would happen because the GFS was showing precip and temps well into the night to support snow - and wasn't convinced with the bbc's/metos limited snow time

Posted

Yeah I know Ali - it's a real drawback that - gotta be perishingly cold to get snow - might look nice - pretty as a picture xmas card - but it's flippin freezing too - and in the real -10s and below you start to lose fingers and stuff with frost bite and go into hypothermia and - well you can work out the rest - it's a double edged sword - we love it cause it hasn't been happening a great deal in britain in recent years, but it can be a deadly force as well! - I suppose you could say it's a bit like a snake charming us - we are drawn into it's spell - but then it bites!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!cold.gifcold.gifcold.gifcold.gifcold.gif

LOL snake charming eh? is this another one of your hidden talents? Very wet snow in Magor now, but hey its white and still looks pretty rolleyes.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather, wind, snow, heat, storms

Snowing well here but doesn't look like we'll be sent home from work today.

Very very frustrating

Posted

think you'll find a different story when you get home from work Steve

Why mate??

how long is this going to last into the day and is it going to get heavier??

Posted

LOL snake charming eh? is this another one of your hidden talents? Very wet snow in Magor now, but hey its white and still looks pretty rolleyes.gif

glad you got some snow though Ali - takes a lot to snow in Magor - by the newport levels

Why mate??

how long is this going to last into the day and is it going to get heavier??

I don't think it's gonna turn back to rain anytime soon just yet - especially anyone with a little height - from what I can see of the front on the radar it seems to be developing a bit on the back edge - increasing it's size a little - still a good two thirds to go I think where I am - and then we have some showers packing in behind the main front - if the temps continue low into the evening which is what the GFS has progged - I see no reason why the snow showers will not continue

Ver heavy snow - large flakes

Posted

glad you got some snow though Ali - takes a lot to snow in Magor - by the newport levels

I don't think it's gonna turn back to rain anytime soon just yet - especially anyone with a little height - from what I can see of the front on the radar it seems to be developing a bit on the back edge - increasing it's size a little - still a good two thirds to go I think where I am - and then we have some showers packing in behind the main front - if the temps continue low into the evening which is what the GFS has progged - I see no reason why the snow showers will not continue

"Sleet and snow will become heavier as it spreads northwards during the day, gradually turning back to rain from the south later. Temporary accumulations of 2 to 5 cms of snow are expected locally at low levels, with accumulations of as much as 10 to 15 cm above 200 metres."

Met Office above - its still snowing here but its wet on the floor - if its not sticking in Dowlais its hard to think we'll have 10 to 15 cm settling anywhere in the Rhymney valley apart from the top end New Tredegar / Rhymney perhaps unelss the worst is still to come?

Posted

Liza says (my other half) and I agree with her - we now have - A BLIZZARD

Big huge white fluffy flakes

Edited by andymusic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather, wind, snow, heat, storms

"Sleet and snow will become heavier as it spreads northwards during the day, gradually turning back to rain from the south later. Temporary accumulations of 2 to 5 cms of snow are expected locally at low levels, with accumulations of as much as 10 to 15 cm above 200 metres."

Met Office above - its still snowing here but its wet on the floor - if its not sticking in Dowlais its hard to think we'll have 10 to 15 cm settling anywhere in the Rhymney valley apart from the top end New Tredegar / Rhymney perhaps unelss the worst is still to come?

It's starting to stick in Merthyr Town centre so i guess it must be even worse in Dowlais. Could get a bit dicy if it carrie son like this

Posted

Defo accumulating on the grass - bit more difficult to stick on concrete - but it's certainly getting there

I doubt anywhere will see 4-6 inches.

Defo accumulating on the grass - bit more difficult to stick on concrete - but it's certainly getting there

Really heavy here, still don't want to stick though.

Posted

Just had a quick look on Google regarding any other weather sites specifically forecasting the weather in wales and the only other one that really stuck out was a guy called Andrew (unfortunately he's died apparently), weird eh, who did forecasts for north wales around prestatyn and was well liked by the local council and the met office used him as a weather station. So apart from the BBC and the meto - there really isn't any specific wales weather website set up - I think it's time this was changed - I will get working on sorting this out in the coming weeks - hopefully you'll start to see a site appearing in the google results soon - I'll keep you posted on this thread (for as long as it is around) for any developements