Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

So what is the longer term looking like?

Met Office warnings for heavy rain in parts on Thursday and Friday.. (not me, thankfully) but will next week see a return to chilly conditions....??

Edited by marclt

Posted

So what is the longer term looking like?

Met Office warnings for heavy rain in parts on Thursday and Friday.. (not me, thankfully) but will next week see a return to chilly conditions....??

Just having a look now - trouble is - non of the models are really coping with the complexities of this set up very well so you can only really take about 2 - 3 days in advance with any confidence - the outlook till friday will be slightly milder and wet with possible colder air coming down friday into the weekend - we're also watching a nasty looking low coming up from the south for sunday - could end up very windy and if the cold air manages to materialise it may end up snowy too - but that's too far out to have any confidence in at the moment - this low actually might help to drag us properly back into the -5 upper cold air - to set us up for further snow chances next week!!!!!!!!!!!!!

An outside possiblity!!!!!!!!!! - if that low comes up on sunday as it's progged to do and drag the colder air back into Wales - looks like we'll get another chance of snow then next monday evening (St David's Day) into tuesday from another low coming up from the south - but this is subject to a lot of changes - so it may not happen

Edited by andymusic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

A very odd, cold day here today, heavy rain started at about 10.30am, then we had sleet and wet snow, then at around 2pm we had very heavy rain, this cleared to show the mountains and only 4 or 5 miles away i could see the snowline on the hills, amazing. Now heavy showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Had snow here most of the day, with a bit of icy rain/sleet from around an hour from 1:30pm. snow didnt stick but was nice to see. had a max temp today of 3C, current temp 2.2C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Sunny days 25C Autumn/Spring: Rain and storms Winter:Snow

Had plenty of snow here but its only sticking above 150m or so. There was even snow in Aberystwyth today :)

Posted

Started snowing again here, with bits of hail smile.gif

Edited by AlexWilliams123

Posted

GFS 12z- just a little more to add - and this is for the low res part of the run - where only "trends" can be spotted - no real details - quite a few runs recently have been showing cold easterlies and today once again the same has cropped up - so - the 1st part of march may well turn out to be a cold one - dragging in the easterly air over britain - we shall see - that groundhog may yet be right.

Posted

Even had an hour's snow in Pembroke at lunchtime- very surprised!

There's a little on the hills of SW. Carms, but looks to be a proper covering further N and E of here.

Obviously nothing major, but seems to me like a much more widespread covering than the NAE and GFS were forecasting. I think the MetO had it covered pretty well -this time- with their advisories then warnings.

Temps steady at 3.0c

Posted

Even had an hour's snow in Pembroke at lunchtime- very surprised!

There's a little on the hills of SW. Carms, but looks to be a proper covering further N and E of here.

Obviously nothing major, but seems to me like a much more widespread covering than the NAE and GFS were forecasting. I think the MetO had it covered pretty well -this time- with their advisories then warnings.

Temps steady at 3.0c

agreed the meto were much more spot on - the GFS was spot on as well - the Nae wasn't as it gave rain for your area too - but the Beeb (Derek) was giving rain for your neck of the woods last night - and he works for the meto (but is given licence to alter things as he sees fit locally) - mmmmmmm!

Posted

GFS 12z- just a little more to add - and this is for the low res part of the run - where only "trends" can be spotted - no real details - quite a few runs recently have been showing cold easterlies and today once again the same has cropped up - so - the 1st part of march may well turn out to be a cold one - dragging in the easterly air over britain - we shall see - that groundhog may yet be right.

Well Andy, i hope that you are wrong this time.

Whilst travelling from far west wales back to Swansea , i have seen snow over the higher ground, but generally wet mush and cold rain lower down.

I have enjoyed the last few days of nice cool sunny weather , and would much prefer this to the slash we have now.

Nowt worse than slashy slushy crud.

MEGA cold yes , MEGA mild yes, in between cold rain no thanks.

I hope your cold just brings clear days mr music.

Sorry folks but i have defected into the spring camp and am hunting the mild weather.

Time for that final curtain now.

Those who cant stand pascal the rascal will be pleased to know i was soaked to the bone today in heavy cold sleet/rain.

Come on father time speed up a little , and mother nature its time to give us 15 degree calm sunny days please.

The fluffy baby rabbits are on their way.

Posted

Well Andy, i hope that you are wrong this time.

Whilst travelling from far west wales back to Swansea , i have seen snow over the higher ground, but generally wet mush and cold rain lower down.

I have enjoyed the last few days of nice cool sunny weather , and would much prefer this to the slash we have now.

Nowt worse than slashy slushy crud.

MEGA cold yes , MEGA mild yes, in between cold rain no thanks.

I hope your cold just brings clear days mr music.

Sorry folks but i have defected into the spring camp and am hunting the mild weather.

Time for that final curtain now.

Those who cant stand pascal the rascal will be pleased to know i was soaked to the bone today in heavy cold sleet/rain.

Come on father time speed up a little , and mother nature its time to give us 15 degree calm sunny days please.

The fluffy baby rabbits are on their way.

sorry Pascals - I know you work outside - must be well chilling - but the weather is not in my control - all I can do is relay the signs that point to a certain type of weather occurin'

Posted

sorry Pascals - I know you work outside - must be well chilling - but the weather is not in my control - all I can do is relay the signs that point to a certain type of weather occurin'

Im willing to trade in any further snowfall here for an extra few clear crisp days.

Or even next winter, you can take two inches of snowfall from Swansea to place on the graigerhorn , as long as you can forecast a few sunny days soon!.

Apologies to other people of Swansea for giving our snow away, but its going to a good home.

Which brings me onto the subject of snow theft.

If you remove all the snow from next doors garden, and place it in your own, is that classed as theft?

Ok it would be trespass , but theft?

Do we own the snow that falls in our garden? and if its a rental property can the landlord come and take it away?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

temp 2.1C and just had a bit of light rain, is that the end of ths snow for here?

Posted

Im willing to trade in any further snowfall here for an extra few clear crisp days.

Or even next winter, you can take two inches of snowfall from Swansea to place on the graigerhorn , as long as you can forecast a few sunny days soon!.

Apologies to other people of Swansea for giving our snow away, but its going to a good home.

If you remove all the snow from next doors garden, and place it in your own, is that classed as theft?

Do we own the snow that falls in our garden? and if its a rental property can the landlord come and take it away?

Like the way your thinking -ummmmmmmmmmmmm

just like the sky/air that exists above us that we - sort of claim as ours - but obviously you'd have to fight a 747 occassionally to stop them using that space - I'd say any snow that falls in your garden you can lay claim to (just as a meteorite might land there) - and then fight to the death if someone tried to nick it off you - the landlord thing - well difficult one that - as by the time it went to court - there'd be no evidencecrazy.gifcrazy.gifcrazy.gif

temp 2.1C and just had a bit of light rain, is that the end of ths snow for here?

looks like it could be - I think we even have fine rain up here - I'm making sure though just in case we have any further heavier precip and it turns back to snow - there still reports of snow comin in as well

Edited by andymusic

Posted

Like the way your thinking -ummmmmmmmmmmmm

just like the sky/air that exists above us that we - sort of claim as ours - but obviously you'd have to fight a 747 occassionally to stop them using that space - I'd say any snow that falls in your garden you can lay claim to (just as a meteorite might land there) - and then fight to the death if someone tried to nick it off you - the landlord thing - well difficult one that - as by the time it went to court - there'd be no evidencecrazy.gifcrazy.gifcrazy.gif

Well people have a right to light, but don't say that to my next door neighbour with her 30+ trees all down the side of the garden blocking of any sunlight, we don't even have any grass just moss, which is surprisingly better than grass as it doesn't need cutting and it is really soft an quite bouncy. Anyway I'm guessing that it would be illegal to steal the snow form someone Else's garden but no court of law would support you.

Posted

Evening Andy, how did it go today? See on the radar that you had loads of snow heading your waycc_confused.gif

Posted

Evening Andy, how did it go today? See on the radar that you had loads of snow heading your waycc_confused.gif

we certainly did - it stuck a little but not a great deal - we've had better then - looking forward to the next episode - seems it could be friday with a shortwave or the big cahoona on sunday - a mighty low to blow us all away and maybe drag the cold air right down and provide some interesting times again

Posted

we certainly did - it stuck a little but not a great deal - we've had better then - looking forward to the next episode - seems it could be friday with a shortwave or the big cahoona on sunday - a mighty low to blow us all away and maybe drag the cold air right down and provide some interesting times again

Just looking at the Met Office site,heavy rain for us in Cornwall for the next few dayswallbash.gif

I think that might be the end of it for us.blink.gif Alot milder here 9C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Quite breezy and feeling very cold here with some heavy showers, temperatures will rise later.

A very odd, cold day here today, heavy rain started at about 10.30am, then we had sleet and wet snow, then at around 2pm we had very heavy rain, this cleared to show the mountains and only 4 or 5 miles away i could see the snowline on the hills, amazing. Now heavy showers

Apparently we had heavy snow here this morning, but never looked like settling, even though it was settling on coasts, when people outside. More of a wintry mix at sea level, and to be fair mostly rain and cold rain at that.

Quite breezy and feeling very cold here with some heavy showers, temperatures will rise later.

Sorry to quote you again but nothing more annoying than cold rain.

Posted

Ut owe, this is terrible........This is deffinately a bad case of winter fatigue syndrome.... the men in white coats could have to be called if this gets any worse..... worrying about snow theft???? (great idea though, I may have to sneak to Andy's and take some next year). To answer your question if you live in a rented property can the landlord take it,,,,, well all I can say is this, if I would have owned Andys house this winter, then YES I would have nicked it on several occasions for sorry snowless Magor. Take a nice hot toddy and have a few early nights pasc,,,, not only for your snow fatigue but for getting wet in the rain today (sighn of things to come lol). (1 netweather member down,, 4,000 something to go. lol)

Posted

Well I missed all the fun today :whistling:

Although I was admiring the heavy sleet in Cardiff whilst sat in the jacuzzi.blum.gif

It was a miserable walk home in the cold rain from the station.

Posted

Ut owe, this is terrible........This is deffinately a bad case of winter fatigue syndrome.... the men in white coats could have to be called if this gets any worse..... worrying about snow theft???? (great idea though, I may have to sneak to Andy's and take some next year). To answer your question if you live in a rented property can the landlord take it,,,,, well all I can say is this, if I would have owned Andys house this winter, then YES I would have nicked it on several occasions for sorry snowless Magor. Take a nice hot toddy and have a few early nights pasc,,,, not only for your snow fatigue but for getting wet in the rain today (sighn of things to come lol). (1 netweather member down,, 4,000 something to go. lol)

Hi Ali - I think we've all got that snow fatigue and model fatigue - and it's gonna continue from what I can see - a nasty low with heavy winds + the possiblity of dragging the cold into it as well could be coming sunday and then after that - we could be in for more cold easterlies next week - so that spring warmth may well be on hold for a little while - and if you wanted to come and "borrow" some of me snow I'd turn and look away while you did - I'm sure

Well I missed all the fun today sad.gif

Although I was admiring the heavy sleet in Cardiff whilst sat in the jacuzzi.blum.gif

It was a miserable walk home in the cold rain from the station.

sounds very relaxing - I used to go to the Hilton one quite a bit - haven't been for a while mind you - but I found the purple lights on the ceiling of the swimming pool really relaxing and soothing - the jacuzzi was fab - and the sauna, and steam room were great too - maybe that would be a good idea right now - get the warmth back into my bones - it looks like we might have to wait for mother nature to do it for us

Thinking about it - the jacuzzi in the hilton would be a cracking place for all of us to meet up and chat a bit more about the weather etc

Here's the post from a very experienced member of the net weather team on the model thread and his thoughts for the up coming events

You will have to forgive my short post as i've just had a horrendous experience at the hospital.

The LP during Sunday continues to be of great concern to me. Now my biggest concern isn't so much snowfall, although still possible, but the strength of the wind and how deep this LP might be. Where this LP develops is very unusual and for this reason im concerned where it will track and how deep it may eventually be. Some parts of Spain, France could see wind gusts around 90mph and the chart at +120 is just plain nasty. I fully understand why Nick S is worried.

Beyond this and im even more confident of an E,ly. However I must admit to being uncertain what the ECM would bring. At +216 upper temps of -10C are widespread across N England and if this was Dec or Jan I would be forecasting snow showers. However due to the time of year im unsure how much convection would occur due to less of a difference between the SSTs and the cold air. However as the sun is stronger this might even encourage snow showrs in inland locations. At the moment im not really bothered about the detail because I know for a fact it will change. At this stage im confident in saying that the mild weather this week will be shortlived for S areas.

Edited by JACKONE