Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

I reckon we've got about another hour - hour and a half of the main front left - after that showers - but showers of what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather, wind, snow, heat, storms

It's sooo depressing seeing all this snow coming down and none of it sticking cray.gif

Posted

Just had a quick look on Google regarding any other weather sites specifically forecasting the weather in wales and the only other one that really stuck out was a guy called Andrew (unfortunately he's died apparently), weird eh, who did forecasts for north wales around prestatyn and was well liked by the local council and the met office used him as a weather station. So apart from the BBC and the meto - there really isn't any specific wales weather website set up - I think it's time this was changed - I will get working on sorting this out in the coming weeks - hopefully you'll start to see a site appearing in the google results soon - I'll keep you posted on this thread (for as long as it is around) for any developements

Looks like you may have found a niche there Andy - keep us posted on your progress and good luck

Posted

Snowing in Carmarthen town, St. Clears, Narberth and Haverfordwest. All very wet and no accumulations.

I guess it all depends on how quickly that mild air pushes up from the south returning us to the more familiar wearther we are used to.

Edited by marclt

Posted

We've had steady snowfall last 2 or so hours.

It's not accumulating though, except slightly on the grass when it falls really thick and fast.

The front has moved across very quickly...

but at least I've been able to window watch some nice snowflakes instead of what the BBC were forecasting - RAIN. (fail)

:cold:

Posted

We've had steady snowfall last 2 or so hours.

It's not accumulating though, except slightly on the grass when it falls really thick and fast.

The front has moved across very quickly...

but at least I've been able to window watch some nice snowflakes instead of what the BBC were forecasting - RAIN. (fail)

smile.gif

yep - Derek's forecast was way off last night - giving snow for only a select few in the mid/north eastern valleys and beyond - a lot more of south wales area has been invloved in this snow today - something tells me the bbc/meto have to try harder when it comes to our region - if it had been london and the east at risk - they would have put a lot more effort into getting it right - that's for sure - reason - cause a lot more people live there - = we in wales don't matter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by andymusic

Posted

OMG HEAVIEST SNOW IVE SEEN IN MY LIFE!

yahoo.gif Send it up this way

Posted

yep - Derek's orecast was way off last night - giving snow for only a select few in the mid/north valleys and beyond - a lot more of south wales area has been invloved in this snow today - something tells me the bbc/meto have to try harder when it comes to our region

Mate, this is crazy settling everywhere!

Posted

i think it should stop within 30 mins and then have a couple of showers,it has stuck on all surfaces up the bwlch and mountains are all white but very little stuck on roads cars etc.

Posted

Mate, this is crazy settling everywhere!

Can't see it on the Cardiff webcams

Posted

Drizzle starting to push in now.

Does it really matter if the forecasters don't quite get the snow right, if it doesn't stick anyway? Ground temps are too high for any significant snow it would seem...

Posted

Can't see it on the Cardiff webcams

Jay's in Pentwyn - can be snowier up there - the city and the bay probably won't be effected

Posted

IT's finally started to settle here in North Cardiff, largely due to heavier precipitation and much larger flakes. By the look of the radar it will all come to and end before too long though. Caerphilly mountain is rather white!

Posted

Drizzle starting to push in now.

Does it really matter if the forecasters don't quite get the snow right, if it doesn't stick anyway? Ground temps are too high for any significant snow it would seem...

well that's a good point - but surely his map said rain for most of south wales last night - so you'd expect rain - and given that it was only 14 + hours before this started, surely the meto and the BBC would be able to get this right - they didn't and this is not the first time this has happened either - considering they are on vast saleries - £70,000 for a forecaster - the director of the meto is on £190,000 - scientists with large wage packets - they should get this right or questions should be asked, surely!

I suspect that it's a case of - it's wales - don't worry about it - again if this was london - they'd be scrutinising the maps and working all the hours to get it spot on

Edited by andymusic

Posted

well that's a good point - but surely his map said rain for most of south wales last night - so you'd expect rain - and given that it was only 14 + hours before this started, surely the meto and the BBC would be able to get this right - they didn't and this is not the first time this has happened either - considering they are on vast saleries - £70,000 for a forecaster - the director of the meto is on £190,000 - scientists with large wage packets - they should get this right or questions should be asked, surely!

How much snow has stuck now mate?

Posted

I suspect that it's a case of - it's wales - don't worry about it - again if this was london - they'd be scrutinising the maps and working all the hours to get it spot on

was the same in south herts yesterday morning - most of us seemed to enjoy the surprise rather than look for a forecaster to kick though.

Posted

Andy, I much prefer the days of the magentic symbol... the forecast seemed to be much more accurate!!!

You're right they do earn a lot of money and that should mean better forecasts. But... if they had said snow, mass panic would have ensued. The snow isn't causing me any disruption, but if they'd forecast snow across the whole of south Wales last night then we'd all start twitching.

I do think the new weather maps that are awful. Have you noticed where the weather is getting tricky to forecast they have started not using them, putting up city centre summaries instead...? Of course, the new weather graphics are produced by a third party - the same third party trying to get the BBC weather contract off the MetOffice!

Draw your own conclusions....

Edited by marclt

Posted

How much snow has stuck now mate?

again - warning for 2 - 5cms with 10 - 15cms on hills - don't think it's gonna be that much - could have downsized those totals by at least a third

all a guessing game

was the same in south herts yesterday morning - most of us seemed to enjoy the surprise rather than look for a forecaster to kick though.

I don't want to kick anyone - but even I could work out from various sources that things were gonna be a little worse than the BBC and meto were forecasting - may be I'm in the wrong job

Andy, I much prefer the days of the magentic symbol... the forecast seemed to be much more accurate!!!

You're right they do earn a lot of money and that should mean better forecasts. But... if they had said snow, mass panic would have ensued. The snow isn't causing me any disruption, but if they'd forecast snow across the whole of south Wales last night then we'd all start twitching.

I do think the new weather maps that are awful. Have you noticed where the weather is getting tricky to forecast they have started not using them, putting up city centre summaries instead...? Of course, the new weather graphics are produced by a third party - the same third party trying to get the BBC weather contract off the MetOffice!

Draw your own conclusions....

never thought of that - could be some back room squabbling going on then

Posted

Andy

I desperately try to avoid taking your comments too seriously. However, its time someone took you to task. The last sentence is total tripe and the previous one is not much better.

Grow up, get a sensible view of synoptic meteorology, I'm happy to explain via pm any technical difficulties you may have understanding meteorology-believe me even being able to read charts sensibly and constructively is not easy to start with. A fair number on here have achieved that and post constructive comments rather than the tirade that seems to come from you most of the time. Meteorology is, believe it or not, a science and a pretty difficult one to grasp. The weather, no matter what advances are made will continue to make forecasters look rather silly at times but then that is something that goes with the job-I did it for well over 20 years. But lambasting UK Met with, it appears to me, little knowledge of what actually goes on is a comments in my view.

Like I said Andy I'm quite happy to try and explain things to you via pm.

For the rest-my apologies for this post but its about time something was said.

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

Andy

I desperately try to avoid taking your comments too seriously. However, its time someone took you to task. The last sentence is total tripe and the previous one is not much better.

Grow up, get a sensible view of synoptic meteorology, I'm happy to explain via pm any technical difficulties you may have understanding meteorology-believe me even being able to read charts sensibly and constructively is not easy to start with. A fair number on here have achieved that and post constructive comments rather than the tirade that seems to come from you most of the time. Meteorology is, believe it or not, a science and a pretty difficult one to grasp. The weather, no matter what advances are made will continue to make forecasters look rather silly at times but then that is something that goes with the job-I did it for well over 20 years. But lambasting UK Met with, it appears to me, little knowledge of what actually goes on is a comments in my view.

Like I said Andy I'm quite happy to try and explain things to you via pm.

For the rest-my apologies for this post but its about time something was said.

John I respect your opinions as you are a respected poster on these forums - there is a BBC bias regarding any extreme weather event in Wales - period - I take your point that my understanding of what goes on at the meto's head quarters is certainly a mystery to me as I've never been there - but I am subject to their forecasts - and take a real interest in the weather myself - so I suppose details that appear incorrect to me - seem to be worth mentioning - I don't think criticism without reason is a good thing for anyone - being a musician fundamentally - constructive criticism can be very helpful though - I'm sorry if anything I've said has upset you in any way - but I have to air my own thoughts and views on the subject of weather and the way various bodies use that information - I take everything on board you have said though

Anyway folks - on a lighter note - it's stopped snowing!

Spoke to soon - it's snowing again