Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Warm/hot Spells Discussion

Posted

I find most conditions easily bearable once I get used to them (usually only takes a couple of days)- for severe cold putting on gloves will come naturally, shorts come out when it hits 20C, even learn to take something waterproof out with me in months like July 2007.

The problem I have in Britain is that the weather doesn't stay the same for long enough and I can't keep up with the changes; the number of times I've been sweating in a coat on a 10C December night after 2 days of frost or grinning and bearing a day like the Saturday of the last bank holiday weekend in T-shirt and shorts. I just wish it would get above 20C every day between May and August, and not get much above freezing between December and February; keeping the changeable stuff for the transition seasons. After a day or two I can easily acclimatise to 35-40C for a weekend, providing it doesn't suddenly go down to 15C on Monday.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Time to resurrect this discussion i think with 30c possible in the south at the weekend. 25c was achieved over much of eastern England yesterday.

Edited by Milhouse

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I find most conditions easily bearable once I get used to them (usually only takes a couple of days)- for severe cold putting on gloves will come naturally, shorts come out when it hits 20C, even learn to take something waterproof out with me in months like July 2007.

The problem I have in Britain is that the weather doesn't stay the same for long enough and I can't keep up with the changes; the number of times I've been sweating in a coat on a 10C December night after 2 days of frost or grinning and bearing a day like the Saturday of the last bank holiday weekend in T-shirt and shorts. I just wish it would get above 20C every day between May and August, and not get much above freezing between December and February; keeping the changeable stuff for the transition seasons. After a day or two I can easily acclimatise to 35-40C for a weekend, providing it doesn't suddenly go down to 15C on Monday.

You might have more of a problem on the continent then, because temperatures in continental land masses not only vary more between summer and winter, they vary more when airmasses change. It can be -5C max one day in January, and 13C a couple of days later. In the southern half of continental Europe summer maxima rarely drop significantly below 20C, but on the other hand they are far more inclined to rise into the mid 30s.

Posted

I work with a forecaster that used to work in Dubai. He has some interesting stories, such as fog at 30C (i.e. temperature of 30C with dewpoints of 30C), and a report from a small island or an oil rig (can't remember which), that was something like 38C with dewpoints of 34C.

They really do have the most grossly uncomfortable conditions on the gulf coast during the summer months. Why anyone would want to visit or have a property there and visit May-Sep is anyone's guess!

Many of the locals from Abu Dhabi and Dubai and the other Emirates come to the UK for a few weeks in the summer, or go inland to the desert towns (where it is much hotter, but the humidity is much lower and so more bearable).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

I can deal fairly well with the heat, a nice comfortable temperature for me is around 26C. In Florida i find the weather very comfortable because even though temperatures hit the low 90's, theres always a thunderstorm to cool things off in the afternoon! I think the worst i have suffered from the heat was when i went to Mexico. 40C isnt really that nice when your walking up Chichen Itza!

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Termperatures in the mid twenties recently have been far too warm for my likeing, early to mid teens is ideal.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

I hate the heat. It's tolerable around the 20ºc region but 25ºc+ becomes too much. Currently i'm sat in shorts with 3 fans blowing on me. Too hot to go outside.

Sleeping is another thing. I wear earplugs and leave my fans on all night. It's lovely!!!!

Summer we take clothes off but they have little effect. In Winter we can put many layers on and keep warmer. I prefer winter. Take this picture and imagine the cold, crisp air:

post-4333-093638500 1277568704_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stelmer

Posted

The temp has been around 22c to 25c here in recent days, and rather cloudy and breezy,so it hasn't felt to warm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

BBC weather says that london hit 31c today.

I disagree. After checking xc weather every hour, it hasn't got about 27c there today?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Absolutely amazing 12z GFS so far from a heat lover's point of view! Next Saturday it has all of inland England + Wales at 27°C-32°C, and bear in mind that at this range it sometimes underestimates temperatures slightly. Also, there is a LI of -7 to -8 in western areas with a 80% risk of a thunderstorm!

I wish you could say 'bank'! I know thunderstorms are hard to predict even within 24 hours, but hopefully the heat won't get downgraded too much. The heat is most important for me, with storms a close second.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

I hate the heat. It's tolerable around the 20ºc region but 25ºc+ becomes too much. Currently i'm sat in shorts with 3 fans blowing on me. Too hot to go outside.

Sleeping is another thing. I wear earplugs and leave my fans on all night. It's lovely!!!!

Summer we take clothes off but they have little effect. In Winter we can put many layers on and keep warmer. I prefer winter. Take this picture and imagine the cold, crisp air:

post-4333-093638500 1277568704_thumb.jpg

Well, unfortuntately for you, it looks like getting hotter, staying so for at least 10 days more, and next weekend even hotter temperatures into the low to mid 30s :lol:

Posted

High of 25.2c here despite it being overcast since 11am, if only the sun had come out.

Humidity is at 53% so low and pretty comfortable in a shorts and T, certainly doesn't feel 25.c with the low humidity.

Posted
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland

BBC weather says that london hit 31c today.

I disagree. After checking xc weather every hour, it hasn't got about 27c there today?

Thats for tomorrow.

Posted

People here saying it's already the best summer for many years - after the coldest winter for nearly 50. Certainly a 12 month period to remember:

post-1217-062219900 1277571144_thumb.png

Continental climate anyone?!

Posted

Thats for tomorrow.

No it isnt?

It's on the frontpage.

'UK highlights'

'Hotspots'

Posted

No it isnt?

It's on the frontpage.

'UK highlights'

'Hotspots'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/10424433.stm Aye but you aren't reading that right it says sunday.

Posted

http://news.bbc.co.u...uk/10424433.stm Aye but you aren't reading that right it says sunday.

For Gods sake dude...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/

It's todays...

Posted

For me i just really want a good massive and preferably evening/nighttime thunderstorm, both this year and last year have brought absolutely nothing other than a fairly weak storm last April!

I don't really care for excessive heat, today's 26c has been perfect for me, though id much rather have 30c than 15c.

People here saying it's already the best summer for many years - after the coldest winter for nearly 50. Certainly a 12 month period to remember:

post-1217-062219900 1277571144_thumb.png

Continental climate anyone?!

Continental indeed Shuggs! Since Nov last year it has been such a diversion from the normal weather patterns. April-May-June is on course for one of the warmest driest late spring/summer periods I have known. Winter was cold cold cold but it was dry as well. The whole period from Nov 2009 (very wet) through winter (dry and very cold) and into spring summer has been punctuated by long dry spells with a few very snowy/wet days in between.

Posted

Upto 26C already at 11.30am at Biggin Hill, looks like the Beeb's 31C will be close to the mark and I wouldn't rule out a sneaky little 32C in some places locally, though whether or not that gets offically recorded remains to be seen.

Posted
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand

Upto 26C already at 11.30am at Biggin Hill, looks like the Beeb's 31C will be close to the mark and I wouldn't rule out a sneaky little 32C in some places locally, though whether or not that gets offically recorded remains to be seen.

I've just now hit 28C according to my thermo. It may well be correct considering I'm 20 minutes away from Biggin Hill but in a valley that is of considerably lower altitude than BH and it has been an hour since that recording of 26C. Seems like my area is currently pretty much the warmest in the country, although I would have thought as usual Heathrow would be most likely to record 31C if anywhere in the next couple of hours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

First 30c of the year today and hopefully not the last. Now 30.3c at 2pm at Gravesend.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

?! The temp is now falling. Reached a peak at 26.2C and is now 25.5C :doh:

Posted

?! The temp is now falling. Reached a peak at 26.2C and is now 25.5C :doh:

LOL that face is halarious, only 23c here so you are wayy lucky.

First 30c of the year today and hopefully not the last. Now 30.3c at 2pm at Gravesend.

If they keep rising the 2/3c every hour they may hit 35c but it'll probably drop now. Edit 31c there now!

Edited by frostyjoe