Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Warm/hot Spells Discussion

31.7c on Aug 3rd 1990. It reached 30.1c on Aug' 2nd 1990 and these are the only 2 days ever to reach 30c here.

Wow, i should live somewhere like that for cooler summer temps and a lot more snow in winter!

Incidentally are you weather records online? I'm sure it would provide a pretty comprehensive climatic record for your location!

Edited by RAIN RAIN RAIN

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Felt really cold here today with the breeze straight off the Irish sea, only reached 17.9C so its been way below average!

Sunday felt much warmer!

Posted

31.7c on Aug 3rd 1990. It reached 30.1c on Aug' 2nd 1990 and these are the only 2 days ever to reach 30c here.

3rd August 1990 was an anomolously hot day here too, with a max of 34.0C. The next warmest was 30.9C on 6th August 2003.

Temperatures of 30C or above arent too common here either, occuring on just 9 occasions since 1982 (The last time was 23rd June 2005).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Wow, i should live somewhere like that for cooler summer temps and a lot more snow in winter!

Incidentally are you weather records online? I'm sure it would provide a pretty comprehensive climatic record for your location!

Afraid not. All my records from 2000 are on the p.c but the 37 years prior to that are all in hand ruled ledgers.

Posted

what a nice job for you TM during the dark winter months, transferring all that data on to your pc!

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

what a nice job for you TM during the dark winter months, transferring all that data on to your pc!

I have actually made a start John, although I haven't done anything for about 2 years. I've managed to get all the daily records from 1963-part way through 1967 on, plus all the monthly/seasonal/annual averages, totals etc for the whole record but it is a mammoth task. I need to retire!

Back on topic; Looking back through the record at Buxton it's likely that there have been only two other days to reach 30c here in the last 140 years. These are July 2nd 1873 and August 9th 1911 when the max' at Buxton reached 31.1c and 31.3c respectively. July 19th 1901 is a possible contender with a max' of 30.6c at Buxton but there have been one or two other days with a similar max' there in more recent years when I recorded between 28 and 29c.

Posted
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme winter cold,heavy bowing snow,freezing fog.Summer 2012

I have actually made a start John, although I haven't done anything for about 2 years. I've managed to get all the daily records from 1963-part way through 1967 on, plus all the monthly/seasonal/annual averages, totals etc for the whole record but it is a mammoth task. I need to retire!

Back on topic; Looking back through the record at Buxton it's likely that there have been only two other days to reach 30c here in the last 140 years. These are July 2nd 1873 and August 9th 1911 when the max' at Buxton reached 31.1c and 31.3c respectively. July 19th 1901 is a possible contender with a max' of 30.6c at Buxton but there have been one or two other days with a similar max' there in more recent years when I recorded between 28 and 29c.

Could this spell the end to the very warm spell? Two wonderful looking charts from the GFS, they should suit you down to the ground mate. Unfortunately it’s a long way out, though the ECM shows a similar evolution.

post-1046-084434800 1278409296_thumb.jpgpost-1046-048198100 1278409303_thumb.jpg

Edited by Polar Continental

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Could this spell the end to the very warm spell? Two wonderful looking charts from the GFS, they should suit you down to the ground mate. Unfortunately it’s a long way out, though the ECM shows a similar evolution.

post-1046-084434800 1278409296_thumb.jpgpost-1046-048198100 1278409303_thumb.jpg

:) :ph34r: :bad: There's nothing more to say about those charts!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

That would be the third abnormally LP system on the spin wouldn't it? (Pardon the pin :))

I don't want frontal rain, albeit torrential...I want storms!! 07 pants, 08 pants, 09 statistically average, 10...??? Drought so far. Already am contemplating whether August will deliver...the most memorable storms from my childhood occurred in August - that was the month as a youngster I always related to big storms!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

:):rofl: :lol: There's nothing more to say about those charts!

Indeed. Perfect for those who like to spend the long days of summer indoors. Awful for the majority who would rather be outside at this time of year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

That would be the third abnormally LP system on the spin wouldn't it? (Pardon the pin :))

I don't want frontal rain, albeit torrential...I want storms!! 07 pants, 08 pants, 09 statistically average, 10...??? Drought so far. Already am contemplating whether August will deliver...the most memorable storms from my childhood occurred in August - that was the month as a youngster I always related to big storms!

I've long been a fan of convective rain (especially when electrified) but not frontal rain, so I have similar feelings. I think as long as the main trough stays west of the UK there is a chance of warm/hot thundery incursions heading into the south and east, although this weekend looks like having the thundery activity largely restricted to the continent. But if the trough heads over or to the east of us then we are relying upon the jet slowing down to allow prolonged polar maritime incursions, or else it'll be a case of band upon band of frontal rain.

Posted

I'm sure when you have them finished TM they will be a super reference for a station at a fairly high altitude-look forward to seeing them, even if you release them in bits and pieces.

Posted

I agree, I'm always up for seeing others' records and I'm sure yours will be of very high quality, judging by your posts on related issues.

I can certainly empathise with the massive task- I transferred my 1993-2005 Cleadon weather records into an Excel spreadsheet format during my year out in between my MRes and my PhD (2006/07) and that was a pretty large task in itself. In fact I only got the statistical data over- I am still yet to transfer qualitative statements about the day-to-day weather (e.g. "sunny intervals, some showers around but we stayed dry" sort of thing).

Posted

I agree, I'm always up for seeing others' records and I'm sure yours will be of very high quality, judging by your posts on related issues.

I can certainly empathise with the massive task- I transferred my 1993-2005 Cleadon weather records into an Excel spreadsheet format during my year out in between my MRes and my PhD (2006/07) and that was a pretty large task in itself. In fact I only got the statistical data over- I am still yet to transfer qualitative statements about the day-to-day weather (e.g. "sunny intervals, some showers around but we stayed dry" sort of thing).

Ian a simpler way of having a descriptive weather diary is to use the format I have, based on Met O systems.

see the link for June.

http://www.johnholmes-weather.co.uk/datapage2.php?cat=2010

click on June under spreadsheet format

If you are interested, its pretty simple, and I'm happy to explain more fully via pm if you wish

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme winter cold,heavy bowing snow,freezing fog.Summer 2012

Indeed. Perfect for those who like to spend the long days of summer indoors. Awful for the majority who would rather be outside at this time of year.

Hi Milhouse,

Even I enjoy pleasantly warm sunny days in summer for relaxing, though my pleasantly warm is around 15- 18c with a clear blue sunny sky.

As I do around 15-20 miles road running each week, I personally find very warm / hot and sunny weather makes running very uncomfortable indeed, I go out very early in the mornings at this time of year, but it’s quite an effort to rise at 4:30am. My best time is around mid to late morning after I have had a few hours to wake up. The weather charts I put up above would produce perfect running conditions for me at this time of year.

But that’s just my selfish opinion lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

bbc newsThursday, 20 July 2006 bbc news

HEATWAVE HOT SPOTS

Some of England's hottest temperatures on Wednesday

Wisley, Surrey 36.5C (97.3F)

Charlwood, Surrey 36.3C (97.3F)

Heathrow Airport, London 35C (95F)

Birmingham 35C (95F)

Bedford 35C (95F)

Clerkenwell, London 34C (93C)

Crosby, Merseyside 33C (91F)

Average July maximum 21-23C (70-73F)

hot so hot that day..wonder if these would be broken this summer...we shall see..

Edited by nimbilus

Posted

Ian a simpler way of having a descriptive weather diary is to use the format I have, based on Met O systems.

see the link for June.

If you are interested, its pretty simple, and I'm happy to explain more fully via pm if you wish

I think you are right- to be honest I'd been thinking of much the same kind of idea, but was unaware of how to implement some aspects of it. I think your spreadsheet files are pretty self-explanatory and should prove very helpful.

Posted

see the link for June.

Hmm perhaps I should have adopted that a long time ago. For at least the last 40 years I've been doing a 200-500 word written description of the weather each day. I don't think I'll ever have time to get that lot onto the p.c, unless I win the lottery and employ a typist.

Posted

its the Met O weather diary abbreviations that I use TM, makes for a relatively quick and short hand way of describing all weather events on each day. Easy to read afterwards as well with nothing lost in the drama of any weather event.

perhaps you could adopt it and use it to redo your weather diary TM, still a long process but you would end up with a very very much shorter dairy for each day?

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

Hmm perhaps I should have adopted that a long time ago. For at least the last 40 years I've been doing a 200-500 word written description of the weather each day. I don't think I'll ever have time to get that lot onto the p.c, unless I win the lottery and employ a typist.

its the Met O weather diary abbreviations that I use TM, makes for a relatively quick and short hand way of describing all weather events on each day. Easy to read afterwards as well with nothing lost in the drama of any weather event.

perhaps you could adopt it and use it to redo your weather diary TM, still a long process but you would end up with a very very much shorter dairy for each day?

Hi TM, John, TWS, all,

As I have gone completely off topic with this reply, I have stuck this hopefully the appropriate thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Theres no question its going to get hot in the SE at the weekend. Question is how hot. Theres a good chance we could record the highest temperature since 2006 which would cap off what has been an excellent start to the summer. (not in any way implying its going to be unsettled from now on)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Theres no question its going to get hot in the SE at the weekend. Question is how hot. Theres a good chance we could record the highest temperature since 2006 which would cap off what has been an excellent start to the summer. (not in any way implying its going to be unsettled from now on)

Radio this morning they said 28C which is hardly record breaking, even for this year!

Point of interest, at 5:30am in New York this morning it was 30C - PHWOAR!!!

Posted

Theres no question its going to get hot in the SE at the weekend. Question is how hot.

NW extra says:

post-6667-016111200 1278498008_thumb.jpg

I shall be at Hampton Court enjoying the sunshine and flowers!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

I don't think there is any chance of that happening now. 30c may be reached in a few favoured locations, but locally I would imagine 28c as is being suggested by the GFS and local/national weather.

You never know though..........