Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Discussion

Nick F

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow

Not sure you will stasfy your hunger just yet Andy, there are more showers forming back from yours in Leicester.

Time to order a take away andy, let someone else get wet :nonono:

Just steady rain here now, no more rumbles or sferics, pretty muggy though which is wierd, I was expecting it to be abit fresher.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Showers decaying generally across England and Wales- still time for showers to intensify at any given moment, though. Looks like most of the lightning activity has occured over Wales and western most parts of the Midlands. Stil lsome heavy showers to the east of here... hopefully they may intensify whilst progressing west.

So is that it after today for a long time then?

Edited by Michael Prys-Roberts

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Floods...

Storms seems to be less intensive now, and frankley everything has,... just, missed us here! Gutted...

Cant see much more for the rest of the day here, the stuff over Brum will probs get here, but as just light rain. Oh well!

Posted

Ok? weird, the cell that moved northwards over us has now stopped and is heading back south at a rate of knotts?? what's going on?

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

I will be glad of the break its been a hectic week!

Posted

Heads up! there's some really good and fast rotation going on now! it's moving towards coventry again now, keep your eyes open down there!

Posted

Ok? weird, the cell that moved northwards over us has now stopped and is heading back south at a rate of knotts?? what's going on?

A shower that was separate and south of the line seems to have merged with it giving the impression of southward movement. the general movement is to the WSW.

Posted

A shower that was separate and south of the line seems to have merged with it giving the impression of southward movement. the general movement is to the WSW.

EVERYTHING is now moving back southwards? the clouds are really racing!

Posted

Separate

post-2595-12761086581405_thumb.txt

Merged

post-2595-12761087353225_thumb.png

You really should invest in the NW radar its excellent!

Posted

Cool, i love this sort of weather, it's really dramatic looking atm :yahoo:

Posted

Also the whole thing has expanded southwards with probably an outflow to the south that is the racing clouds.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

that shower moving westward now through birmingham looks to be building, can anyone confirm this? looks nasty on the radar.

Indeed. Not exceptional rainfall rates but with slow moving showers its a prolonged period of heavy rain.

Posted

Winds over most of the Midlands E/NE though, some exception- Cov airport is a SW inflow?

post-2595-12761095881809_thumb.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Shower is losing intensity as soon as it is reaching here. :yahoo:

Posted

Having read that Blizzards has had thunder today AND a storm on Saturday night I hope he won't be moaning when the next thundery day doesn't provide - as with yesterday when things looked unlikely and then developed.

Some of us have had just heavy showers in the last few days with no thunder anywhere near their locations!!

Could be backbuilding.

Edited by Andy Bown

Posted

Having read that Blizzards has had thunder today AND a storm on Saturday night I hope he won't be moaning when the next thundery day doesn't provide - as with yesterday when things looked unlikely and then developed.

Some of us have had just heavy showers in the last few days with no thunder anywhere near their locations!!

Could be backbuilding.

We had a distant rumble or two today. Saturday Nights storm was hardly big either.

we've hardly done badly today though, lets be honest! :yahoo:

Its not been too bad, at least we had something today.

Posted

Turned extremely dark here from the east around 7pm, then started raining lightly but proper convective drops, turned briefly moderate for a few minutes then eased as it passed to the west. The shower is still going as it drifts westwards, but is losing intensity. Seems like we caught it during it's peak. Shame it didn't do much else, looked very black at the time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

When's the next likely event after today, does anyone know or does it not look likely for a while?

Posted

I thought today was pretty exciting, given that conditions never looked favourable for widespread frequent lightning activity. Was waiting patiently for the showers to my E/SE to arrive and when they did, they unleashed some torrential rainfall, so heavy that winds at the surface became very gusty indeed! Heard a good few rumbles of thunder on its approach but full-blown lightning activity was absent, sadly.

I don't think we'll have to wait too long before convective potential is showing on the models within the reliable time frame. For the foreseeable though, it's looking much quieter.

yes definitely, from about 5pm onwards, the heavens opened and around here there were a good few rumbles of thunder, no memorable shower by any means, but quite potent none the less. and yes, i agree, its the summer now, so the heat is building up on the continent, and as with snow, most of the thundery activity will crop up at short notice. can't wait for my trip to the continent soon, hopefully there'll be a storm or two :yahoo:

We had a distant rumble or two today. Saturday Nights storm was hardly big either.

Its not been too bad, at least we had something today.

Better than the many people who have had absolutely nothing  :yahoo:

We've been desperately unlucky up here over the last few days. Yes we have never been in the middle of the 'risk zones' but we've been very close to a direct hit on numerous occasions, and got nothing.

That said, we had thunder last week so I shall restrain myself from moaning too much. It could be worse Blizzards  :lol: :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, hot sunshine and snowstorms

Evening guys! Have had a lot of rain here today. Had a very heavy shower at around 8am, went on for a good 15 minutes, there was another one around 2pm, and it's been quite wet since then with the sky turning dark to the south and south east of me. Currently it's very damp and the sky looks very menacing, it's like a really baigey grey colour. Completely overcast, i heard there were a few distant rumbles of thunder earlier from a friend but i've been at work so haven't heard much. The sky looks evil though. Has been quite humid today, but has freshened up a lot since then.

Posted

OK well i just had a nice shock went v dark towards the East then it just poured it down and it was very local as the heaviest developed right over my postcode.