Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Discussion

Nick F

Posted

Kent girl now? I'm sure you was a Midlands girl a few months back tongue.gif

I reckon there will be some thunder about in the South East overnight.

hiya andy! yep! me and family moved last thursday due to hubbys work!

i have witnessed a storm here but missed all the action in the midlands earlier this week! lol!

ooooh lets hope i do hear some thunder clap.gif

Edited by loopydreamer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

i have witnessed a storm here but missed all the action in the midlands earlier this week! lol!

Ahhh I see :) I'm glad I hadn't lost my mind and you actually did used to be a Midlands girl as I thought :rolleyes:

I think you might see some fireworks tonight, looks like some heavy rain at least!

Posted

I'm still not sure you know.....

post-6667-12761755266387_thumb.jpg

skew0.526900472891615.png

ASII_20100610_1215.png

Even later it might only just skim the very far SE coast of Kent :rolleyes:

gfs_srflow_eur18.png

gfs_pw_eur18.png

gfs_spout_eur18.png

skew0.88636267402126.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

ooooh lets hope i do hear some thunder clap.gif

Wait til you got get a proper plume spell of storms (last weekend was about a 3/10) - you'll love it!

Posted

Wait til you got get a proper plume spell of storms (last weekend was about a 3/10) - you'll love it!

Wednesday 6th August 2008 anyone? :rolleyes:

THE best display I have seen in Kent...

Posted

Rain has pretty pathetic the last week or so - its not been enough to wet the ground properly and just seems to fizzle out...the area currently moving north over Sussex is just light but large drops and nothing exciting.

However after watching the Meteox loop the stuff SE of Le Mans heading N-NW could be interesting - however the Channel will have its say now doubt. I don't expect storms - just possible downpours later.

Thanks for the update Coast

Edited by MR CB

Posted

Im still unsure of the chances of thunder here in the Solent does anyone have any suggestions?

Edited by r6 steve

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

I lover plumes but we didn't get any storms in the last plume event but yeh Plumes are the best and really get you fired up when there are plumes and storms that are about come up from france.

Raining very heavy here now and the spots are huge, I think this is convective rain they are huge drops

Edited by Stormyking

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Looks outside , see's horrible grey cloud with a keen north/east wind!. Awful

Wouldn't think anything was on the way :rolleyes:

Posted

some realy nice deep convection going up over Northern France with sferics.

With a trend of them deepening and growing.

If I lived on the Coast down the South East I would be watching this closely for tonight. Thundery rain from this direction can sometimes on may occasion bring some nice surprises...

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

I'm still not sure you know.....

The slight risk of a storm is not within this first lot of rain grazing the coast of SE England as this is along the warm front, the risk will be more towards midnight and early friday as a shortwave currently over SW France moves NNE towards The English Channel which, with triple point also moving northeast, engages warm moist continental air and develops an area of very heavy thundery rain over N/NW France this evening which will move in across southern counties overnight - maybe with embbeded TS.

Posted

However after watching the Meteox loop the stuff SE of Le Mans heading N-NW could be interesting - however the Channel will have its say now doubt. I don't expect storms - just possible downpours later.

Thanks for the update Coast

No probs Mr CB. I'm at the South OF England Show tomorrow and could do without torrential rain! :)

You're right though, this week has been very disappointing for storms and surprisingly little rain. I'm still not convinced about that any thunderstorm over us tonight unless it's out at sea like last week. Forecast sounding for Hestmonceux (my last post above) does start in the right direction at 3.00 am with a low to moderate lifted index but weak CAPE, perhaps something moderate and isolated according to the Total-Totals and K index????

maybe with embbeded TS.

But I'm willing to stay up and watch anything coming!! :rolleyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

It's not that unusual NNW, especially in the summer months.

I love listening to heavy rain beating down on the roof, and if there is some thunder and lightning too, then yeah bonus :rolleyes:

Similar thoughts here. I've always been in my element on those convective "sunshine and showers" days (by this I mean proper vigorous convection with TCu/Cb cells, as opposed to the conventional British "odd bit of sun and odd bit of rain" stuff) where it's sunny one moment, and the next you're chased inside by the rain and can hear the cloudburst lashing off the roof- especially if it's a conservatory. Hailstorms can be particularly dramatic.

It's easy to think that nothing's on the way from this weather- and often there is. But I remember a day back in August 2001 when I was down near Eastbourne (about to get a ferry over the Channel, the previous day had a max of 32C and min of 20C at Heathrow Airport). It started grey and misty, then at around midday, the sky darkened dramatically and there was frequent thunder, lightning and torrential rain. Last Sunday saw a similar progression in Norwich but it took until late afternoon for the thunderstorm to arrive. Seems to be a "south east thing", I don't remember any misty, murky days up north that saw a sudden darkening and then thunder.

I think it's exceedingly unlikely that any thunder activity will get as far north as Norwich tonight though.

Posted

with the threat being to the south east where do people define the south east being from?

some lightning on iow lightning tracker in the far north of france lets hope it makes it over the channel!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Looking at the Euro radar the phrase "il y a quelques orages violents en France" springs to mind!

Posted

with the threat being to the south east where do people define the south east being from?

some lightning on iow lightning tracker in the far north of france lets hope it makes it over the channel!

London & Kent!

Posted

London & Kent!

Which i never agreed with , London should be on it's own.... Used to annoy when they'd say storms in the south east but then checking only london was due to get anything :rolleyes:

Posted

London & Kent!

It's more than just those, all the Home counties and London are really the SE, though Hampshire could be classed as central southern England, while Essex could be classed as East Anglia, but definately London, Berks, Bucks, Herts, Sussex, Surrey and Kent.

Posted

wow nice explosion going off down there now...

If I only lived down by the Coast,would be on watch tonight...

large increase on sferics..

I wonder how far North this area of Potentaily heavy rain will spread??

post-3696-12761804708823_thumb.gif

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

hi all! interesting on here today , hoping for some action tonight drinks.gif

im watching the purple box area but mostly the potential MCS development in the blue box area, looking amazing for france devopments

post-11361-12761805774663_thumb.png

Posted

If I only lived down by the Coast,would be on watch tonight...

:rolleyes: I shall have one eye open tonight Dogs.......

Posted

The way this is going when I go to france next week the chance of getting a storm might be a wee bitty higher than up here in Glasgow =D

I expect pictures if anything happen Coast!

Posted
BBC radio Kent forecast suggested heavy thundery rain overnight with up to 2 inches possible on the South Coast

BBC 1 12.30 TV forecast indicated heavy thundery rain for the south east overnight and tomorrow morning : up to 20 or 30 mm in some places, he says. But he did not mention the rain that was already biginning to fall at that moment!

A pulse of very thundery rain IS working north north west atm towards the Normandy French coast by 1700 then probably north across mid Channel towards W Sussex .. whether it remains electrified is rather debatable though.

from ukww

Posted

:rolleyes: I shall have one eye open tonight Dogs.......

back in the 1930's...lol..

No seriously back in the 70's and 80's this direction nearly always brought good Storms....

But due to Global Cooling :unsure: not so much the case anymore...Hit and miss..

But Im always more interested in this direction than our home brewed Shower's