Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

General Storm Discussion Thread

dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Can anyone confirm if there has been any thunder/lightning in the Poole area?

Or has blizortung detector on the iow weather lightning detector gone nuts?

It says there has been lightning everywhere lol

Its odd isnt it,

Its showing some storms in the SW showers at the moment.

Will have to keep an eye on. Quite muggy round here though

Posted

My friend is stuck in Dunkirk due to board a ferry, but its been cancelled due to thunderstorms, so they must be taking a real pasting over there at the moment.

Posted

Convective temp was briefly breached here in SW Essex between 3.30-4.00pm but after that cloud levels decreased. From the looks of things everything potent is heading off to the east, though there is still some cells that are over N.france that could try and come up but overall nothing too interesting.

Guest FireStorm

The NW detector has sferics over the extreme SE corner recently, can anyone confirm?

Was looking at the same thing myself but Metoffice satellite shows clear skies.and nw extra lightning detector has a few across the extreme coastline. :blink:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Tornadoes, Snow, and lovely summer Sun

had a shower her but thats about it. went to the beach and had alook out to france and could see the lightning! PLEASE COME THIS WAY!

Was looking at the same thing myself but Metoffice satellite shows clear skies.and nw extra lightning detector has a few across the extreme coastline. :blink:

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

Whilst anything can always happen, the latest NAE (reproduced on the BBC website) which the forecasters use only shows some showers clipping the east kent coast early this evening (now!) and then, probably, a mainly dry night for most with ppn over central southern parts dying out.. Nanazeen did actually say the same in a round about way wrt to the south east area. There is no real suggestion of storms later other than what is currently going on (if anything). And her own chart reflects the latest NAE.

The storms look to be tracking through central/eastern France and into Benelux and the Netherlands.

Just to put a proper perspective on the situation

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Not clear skies by any stretch of the imagination...On the latest SAT24, the anvil shield from the cell near Calais has extended right into the SE of England with quite strong convection under it bubbling up...Not surprised to see some strikes detected :D

Posted

fingers crossed! lol

Not clear skies by any stretch of the imagination...On the latest SAT24, the anvil shield from the cell near Calais has extended right into the SE of England with quite strong convection under it bubbling up...Not surprised to see some strikes detected :blink:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Whilst anything can always happen, the latest NAE (reproduced on the BBC website) which the forecasters use only shows some showers clipping the east kent coast early this evening (now!) and then, probably, a mainly dry night for most with ppn over central southern parts dying out.. Nanazeen did actually say the same in a round about way wrt to the south east area. There is no real suggestion of storms later other than what is currently going on (if anything). And her own chart reflects the latest NAE.

The storms look to be tracking through central/eastern France and into Benelux and the Netherlands.

Just to put a proper perspective on the situation

Yes, agreed...If the CF straddling the UK was stationary, then those storms over central France might hit the SE, but the CF is on the move eastwards, and sat24 radar suggests that the advancing CF is the steering mechanism that will shunt the storms on a more NE & eastwards trajectory......but then again, this is British weather, so who knows, it might snow!... :blink:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/stormy

Is it just me or is the metoffice radar down(not updating since 14:30)?

:drinks:Its not BUT STORMS ARE COMMING MY WAY yeee ha

Posted

wheres your way mate

:drinks:Its not BUT STORMS ARE COMMING MY WAY yeee ha

Posted

whats happening with that pulse of rain across the central part of southern Britain? im just under the cloud cover on the eaast of i know its dissipating but could any thundery activity

occur as it brings all the moisture from France and Spain or will it just mount to nothing?

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Extensive fields of Ac Cas to my East, pretty stable looking overhead though.

Not here , Altocumulus trying to tower! :blink:

Posted

Clear skies in london :blink:

Posted

getting merky here wind picking up fingers crossed something gonna kick off!

Guest FireStorm

Not clear skies by any stretch of the imagination...On the latest SAT24, the anvil shield from the cell near Calais has extended right into the SE of England with quite strong convection under it bubbling up...Not surprised to see some strikes detected :blink:

yes i checked sat24 at the same time but didnt mention in the post at the time

Posted

post-7952-071662200 1278103294_thumb.jpgpost-7952-041904800 1278103325_thumb.jpgpost-7952-017449700 1278103357_thumb.jpgpost-7952-051828100 1278103368_thumb.jpg

Looking a bit stormy out to north sea to me , though the tiny pictures doesn't do it justice- sorry !!!

Edited by donna-m

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Looking a bit stormy out to north sea to me !!!

Looks like that in east kent , the sky is VERY unstable.. But it needs that fuse

Posted

Something ive noticed is that bit of rain coming from the channel islands, through southampton and portsmouth. That seems to be not dissapating as much a thought, and also Blitzortung has got a strike just off the coast for that area in the last 20 mins. Hopefully building strength to have a go at southern england, and then up towards east midlands/western east angia?

I can wish!

Posted

Something ive noticed is that bit of rain coming from the channel islands, through southampton and portsmouth. That seems to be not dissapating as much a thought, and also Blitzortung has got a strike just off the coast for that area in the last 20 mins. Hopefully building strength to have a go at southern england, and then up towards east midlands/western east angia?

I can wish!

I Blimmin hope so...

Posted

Well i can say i havent heard any thunder from that rain in southern England which hasnt quite arrived yet but is knocking on the door step!!!

If anything comes from it ill keep you posted!!

Edited by r6 steve

Posted

post-7952-071662200 1278103294_thumb.jpgpost-7952-041904800 1278103325_thumb.jpgpost-7952-017449700 1278103357_thumb.jpgpost-7952-051828100 1278103368_thumb.jpg

Looking a bit stormy out to north sea to me , though the tiny pictures doesn't do it justice- sorry !!!

That, Donna M, is usually a forerunner of a thunderstorm not too far away. Now when those clouds get more wavy in shape and darker, and become more uniform behind... Then you know that a thunderstorm is very close.

Otherwise in definition, showing atmospheric instability. Anything goes, especially with a slow moving cold front to dislodge moist and humid air.

Phil.