Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Late Winter/early Spring Discussion Part 21

A.J

Posted

Very wet overnight till about 9am, but surprisingly bright this afternoon and still felt mild in the sun. Cooler now but certainly not cold. 2 days to produce some snow (don't hold out much hope when there's been no frost for a fortnight!)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Our total rainfall for the year so far is 80mm so below average when it should be closer to 110mm or thereabouts.

Most people in our region should see some showers tomorrow as they look like they could be organised for a time.

Posted

Decent afternoon today after the damp start, sun gaining strength nicely now to.

Still though not a particulary interesting outlook, i have to agree that this year thus far has been incredibly unlively.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Whilst the storm risk is fairly low tomorrow, some Chart Analysis by me does show that the West Midlands region probably does have the best storm conditions tomorrow even though of course not great still. If somewhere is to get a storm i would say around Worcester/Evesham. :) Many of us can expect some sharp showers possibly with hail however. :D

Edited by Blizzards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

Whilst the storm risk is fairly low tomorrow, some Chart Analysis by me does show that the West Midlands region probably does have the best storm conditions tomorrow even though of course not great still. If somewhere is to get a storm i would say around Worcester/Evesham. :) Many of us can expect some sharp showers possibly with hail however. :D

Hmmm well in Malvern at the moment the rain hadn't materialised - from the radar looks as if most of it is further north over Brum and Manchester. Maybe some of those showers further west will come our way? February 2011 has to be one of the least memorable weather-wise for me! Dull, grey and mainly dry.

Posted

Had some very heavy rain just over an hour ago. Showers are now on their way.

Edited by Blizzards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

One short and sharp hail shower a couple of hours ago here in west Malvern, nothing after that. Sunny at the moment, but breezy. 6.1oC currently.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

was always going to be the case for the south of the region, were to stay mainly dry, but even for the north of the region looks dry next week

ive heard these regional threads will close tomorrow night, winter finished ages ago here down souf! alright for the scottish guys though they have had winter in Jan and Feb

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

A bit of a grim day here....Cloudy, damp & distinctly chilly, hopefully will brighten up later on in the week as the NE/Easterly runs out of steam

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and hot, sunny summers!

Well I half expected to see some sleet at least here today, -7C uppers with a ground temp of 2C...All in all a chilly drizzly wet day closedeyes.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Very similar day - bits and pieces of rain with a gentle to moderate Northerly wind. No white flakey stuff detected, although the temperature has dropped to 3.5*C.

Posted

Any precip today did seem to be mostly rain though perhaps looked a bit sleety in some of the heavier drizzle today. Very raw wind today though.

Well i take it this is the last evening of these threads. This winter has been the Best and the Worst.

Best ever winter in Late November and December but completely fell apart in January and February and im pretty sure ive never seen it that snowless before. Appalling really! As ive said before the pre 2007 winters delivered better than this!

Winter Snow and Deep Cold Ratings:

November: 6/10

December: 10/10

January: 2/10

February: 1/10

Overall: 6/10. Very badly let down by post Xmas weather but i shall never forget December 2010 in a long time. :)

Posted

Why does this thread refer to 'cold spell' when we've just had the warmest Feb in recent times, together with an entirely snow free and almost frost free one? Should it say "The Midlands - Very Warm Spell Discussion"? :p

Posted

Is it the last night? Well au revoir for now to all if it is.

Who will we talk to if we get a late blast of winter weather? It just won't be the same on the main boards. :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Is it the last night? Well au revoir for now to all if it is.

Who will we talk to if we get a late blast of winter weather? It just won't be the same on the main boards. :(

Do you know something I don't??.....lol

The winter threads will be drawing to a close soon, rest assured when I know of the closing date, I'll post it on here :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Very similar day - bits and pieces of rain with a gentle to moderate Northerly wind. No white flakey stuff detected, although the temperature has dropped to 3.5*C.

Rainbow Snow,

Just noticed you are from Solihull.

I was in Olton this morning and round about 09:00 to 09:30 when I observed some bits of the white stuff (together with a bit of hail later on) . I then saw some hail pellets on the ground when I was working outside in the garden

We definately had splodges on the windscreen - nearly had a flake!!!

I agree about the temp it has remained below 5c all day and I am currently recording 3.4c with a gusty wind so it feels more like -1c.

All the best to everyone if this is the last day - does anyone know if it closes down tonight?

If it does then all the best from me. (as well as from him!)

MIA

Posted

Do you know something I don't??.....lol

The winter threads will be drawing to a close soon, rest assured when I know of the closing date, I'll post it on here :)

Oh ok, glad to hear they're not closing just yet.

I know the weather has just been dreary nothingness for weeks now, but I'm old enough to know that March and even April can pull the odd surprise out of the bag!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

to be expected really, I never rate February as a true winter month, sun too high and strong, winter real is from approx 15th Nov to 15th Jan, peak time, Xmas/new year, low sun, dark at 4pm, so I think all the midlands had a very good winter, was just that less cold spell from 10-15th Dec but that was mostly dry so not bad, winter really ended on Mon 10th Jan for the midlands (low levels) to be expected really as days get longer, Xmas/new year over

my last snow was on 7th Jan, lasted a morning, I am hoping to see more in 2011 from 15th Nov

Posted

In terms of snowfall, nothing exceptional for here, or even the rest of the Midlands. Sure the hardest hit parts of the region received some decent depths of snow, but certainly nothing of the extreme variety, which is exactly what northern and northeastern regions of the UK experienced.

But that cold... proper bitter stuff, that!

To be fair, those West of Birmingham, South of Wolverhampton through to Worcestershire and parts of Warwickshire shouldnt forget the 18th December 2010 in a long time. Compared to recent snowfalls that was pretty exceptional. Especially when you get 15-20cm in just 6 hours or so! The amount of days snow has fell has been rather underwhelming though. But the 18th December by far delivered the most snow ive seen in my life so far.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Rainbow Snow,

Just noticed you are from Solihull.

I was in Olton this morning and round about 09:00 to 09:30 when I observed some bits of the white stuff (together with a bit of hail later on) . I then saw some hail pellets on the ground when I was working outside in the garden

We definately had splodges on the windscreen - nearly had a flake!!!

I agree about the temp it has remained below 5c all day and I am currently recording 3.4c with a gusty wind so it feels more like -1c.

All the best to everyone if this is the last day - does anyone know if it closes down tonight?

If it does then all the best from me. (as well as from him!)

MIA

Ooo, hi there Midlands Ice Age. :) Think that is the 4th (or 5th) Netweather.tv member I now know who is from the land of Solihull!

Ar nuts! :( Must have slept through it. But nice to here some reports of the white stuff nonetheless. Yeah, has been quite cold today with that North/North-Easterly wind.

Maybe still a chance to see one last snowy outbreak, whether it's in late March, or even April - especially if it is in the form of those squally wintry showers. Still, if not, at least we had that really cold snowy end of November and December to make up for it. Though, just think, had December and November not delivered, then we could have been looking at a really snowless Winter, although that then could have meant that January and February may have been really cold and snowy months instead.

@Blizzards: Hehee... really liked your Winter rating system. :D

Anyway, hope you've all had a great Winter, and like MIidlands Ice Age and others, I wish you all good luck. Fingers crossed for a few more thundery and stormy outbreaks this spring and Summer. :good:

To be fair, those West of Birmingham, South of Wolverhampton through to Worcestershire and parts of Warwickshire shouldnt forget the 18th December 2010 in a long time. Compared to recent snowfalls that was pretty exceptional. Especially when you get 15-20cm in just 6 hours or so! The amount of days snow has fell has been rather underwhelming though. But the 18th December by far delivered the most snow ive seen in my life so far.

Remember that quite well. Was one of my favourite snowflalls this Winter and ended up having 15cm +. That was also the day where I walked 4 miles home in the snow (seriously), because the bus I needed to catch back home would not run.

Edited by Rainbow Snow

Posted

It does feel like the first day of Spring here. Feeling warm under the sun, cool in the shade, birds singing and plants budding or preparing to bud. Cold early in the morning, but now 7.8C and rising. A perfect early March day!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and hot, sunny summers!

Any precip today did seem to be mostly rain though perhaps looked a bit sleety in some of the heavier drizzle today. Very raw wind today though.

Well i take it this is the last evening of these threads. This winter has been the Best and the Worst.

Best ever winter in Late November and December but completely fell apart in January and February and im pretty sure ive never seen it that snowless before. Appalling really! As ive said before the pre 2007 winters delivered better than this!

Winter Snow and Deep Cold Ratings:

November: 6/10

December: 10/10

January: 2/10

February: 1/10

Overall: 6/10. Very badly let down by post Xmas weather but i shall never forget December 2010 in a long time. :)

Yes that's true, but if someone would have come to us and offered that November/December (with the clause of a poor Jan and Feb), I would have torn their arms off! Almost 4 weeks of constant ice days, frost so thick in areas that it looked like snow had settled, icicles hanging from trees, the temperatures in my area I never thought possible previously, and of course the icing on the cake; about 10" of snow*. That's what I'll remember from the winter of 2010/11 drinks.gif

*Yes we've had more (over 15" in Feb2009, didn't measure it exactly) but it's plenty when it doesn't melt a single millimetre for about 2 weeks due to the extreme cold cold.gif

Roll on spring now, certainly will be glad to see the back of this overcast muck!

Edited by weatherguy

Posted

Yes, i agree if i was offered just 1 or 2 months of proper winter weather but they were extreme id gladly take it. :D