Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Convective Weather Discussion Uk

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Not sure where in North Kent you are but you sound local to me as the same thunderclouds (CB's) were from cells that appeared around Maidstone. Sevenoaks area ended up taking the hit instead rolleyes.gif

I had no idea that area got hit, I thought it buggered off up north.

I'm in Rochester. Got some lovely fields out the back which you can see the weather coming for miles. Can't wait to see my first thunderstorm in this house, will be lovely to see it over the fields.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Talking about needed rains ,grass round here is going brown, not usually until end of may into june during dry spells do we see this, also my rivers are very low.

lots of activity still across the large river..channel..i mean! don't think its over yet, i was expecting action to get going from dusk, so lets wait n see, i enjoy following all this even though it rarely turns up! but its all part of it!:drunk:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

Quite surprised at the rate of decay of the showers in past 20 mins - virtually no rain making it to land, it's all fizzling out before it has a chance!

The Brighton rain shield is pushing it away and killing it! good and bad thing I suppose

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder & Lightning, Snow, Wind

Just took this out of window, can see some towering clouds off to South East fairly hard to see in this photo

post-4193-0-74900500-1304191908_thumb.jp

Posted

Might be worth keeping an eye on the convection over the Brest Peninsula. The METO have a fair bit moving north and even east tomorrow although the main belt will probably be just west of Cornwall.

Edited by weather ship

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

Ive seen this kent clipper scenario,or residual rain from old storms dozens of times, the time to get excited is when a large MCS forms over northern France late evening and is heading north, or when fresh storms fire more locally, rather than watching the radar for about 10 hours lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

One last effort from the Calais area moving into Kent but will it make it over? it's only a short sea distance.:pardon:

Posted

Allegedly some light rain over the Romney Marsh if the rain is indeed making it to the ground. Sferics from the cells leaving Calais but I'm not convinced they'll last much longer. Here's hoping some nocturnal cooling can come into play.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

The edge is bubbling up , white bubbles showing up against the darkening sky, still not thinking its totally over just yet, i just can't give it up watching this, just in case i miss something, i have loads of work to do! , i only work when theres no storm potential :lol:

Posted

Keep an eye on the convection just over the North West Coast of France, around Brest. This is rapidly intensifying whistling.gif

Posted

lol

Haha, yeah i only say this because i know from experience how easy it is to get caught up in the radar fetish, only to see the storms die at dusk or 50miles away from the U.K., if you want to keep aware of any storms creeping up on you in the night, leave a pocket radio on A.M. At low volume, any near strikes will wake you up ..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Just thought I'd mention that it's 6 years since the fantastic 30th April/ 01st May 2005 storms. They certainly had no problem going on into the night! :D

Posted

Keep an eye on the convection just over the North West Coast of France, around Brest. This is rapidly intensifying whistling.gif

Yes i see that but its not heading for us.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Tornadoes, Snow, and lovely summer Sun

hoping for a clipper or a full on storm!

actually just some rain would be good!

Edited by wchris_uk

Posted

Ok I offically give up, an intreging day all the same with a warm high of 22.1C, good stuff shame about the storms but proves how extreme France's climate is compared to ours, oh well.:good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

These cells are being pushed further north from what I can only put down to a stronger than expected southerly coming up from the BOB..

Also, The warmer air hitting the cooler air moving across france could well trigger night storms.

Theres some evidence of convection and the cells intensifying even now..

Will these push further inland or just skirt the coats? .. Who knows.. Next hour or so will certainly tell us that.

It looks like we have 3 airmasses colliding at the moment.

I can only assume this 1000 was meant to be lower..

h500slp.png

Edited by Lynxus

Posted

Just thought I'd mention that it's 6 years since the fantastic 30th April/ 01st May 2005 storms. They certainly had no problem going on into the night! :D

Trust me to be out the country then. I haven't had a decent one since 1997!

Posted

This is a great site for different weather maps. Aviation use it so I imagine it's pretty accurate.

From this it looks like the only severe storms are of the westernmodt tip of france pushing north from there over the next 24 hours.

Posted

Oh you are right sorry :blush:

If its meteocentre your looking at, the sferics on that site seem to be playing up recently..

Posted

Great pictures from storms yesterday on a French forum. Reports of an 'arcus' today as well - my translation being a striated gust front.

Reports of tornado's today as well

Edited by chapmanslade