Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Chat And Discussion

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

Got altocumulus castellanus clouds building to my south just now , very still with no wind outside

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms and extreme weather

Great! just as I was looking at the lightning strikes south of the IOW the IOW weather live storm site goes down. Direct hit? http://www.isleofwightweather.co.uk/live_storm_data.htm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I don't know why - but I have a hunch the S-East is going to get something of a surprise in the early morning

just feels right to me

MetO Invent seems to suggest this too

I hope you're right but I'm not counting my chickens just yet!!

Posted

Is it me or are those storms over France building mega quick and heading towards the south, if they kept the same pattern by the time they reach us they will me huge?!

The one over the bay of Biscay is just growing so fast!!

Just remember you are looking at Infra red (assuming you can't see a visual satelite in the dark !)and so the high level 'false cirrus' blown off the top of the storm is being blown quickly N by the jet there. That shows up very brightly but ISN'T the storm. They are MCS's down there with multiple cells - to big to be anything else really.

Saturday has two parts to it - diurnal heating will set off surface based storms IF the cloud cover breaks - and it might not depending on what junk is left over from tonight. Then a trough will run N later in the day destabilising the plume to give mid level storms again.

Edited by chapmanslade

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

The storm near Salisbury looks pretty epic on the radar! Any updates from that area?

Here's a useful lightning detector site that gets data from the Met Office... someone posted it on here a few days ago:

http://andvari.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html?

Wow can't see cumbria under the red!! That explains the dramatic skies :)

Posted

look at the 4am and 7am plots on the MetO Invent for down here :)

Buckster me darling, can you give us a rough idea of where "down here" is ?

Posted

Nice 'question mark' offshore Norfolk on the UK Meto Radar. Who says the weather doesn't have a sense of humor.

Posted

Sheet lightning and rumbles of thunder in the near horizon. There is also this curious phenomenon where wet droplets are falling from the sky, oh its light rain I forgot what it looked like! Temp of 18.3C and certainly feels it. Need more rain, even the grass is dying off.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms and extreme weather

The storm near Salisbury looks pretty epic on the radar! Any updates from that area?

Here's a useful lightning detector site that gets data from the Met Office... someone posted it on here a few days ago:

http://andvari.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html?

I'm about 10 miles east of Salisbury and not seen a thing here but a lot of activity south of the IOW. There's a couple of NW members in Winchester and Andover area who may post earlier reports of any activity than me

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow

All the lightning is towards wolverhampton...AGAIN. Bullplop.

Posted

nice IC / anvil crawler spotted just south of Sedgley and as I type a more overhead flush and rumble

Hmmm,you may need to go back and sit again :lol:

Posted

Anyone under that new development over Wales? Not seeing any strikes from it yet but it's only a matter of time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Great! just as I was looking at the lightning strikes south of the IOW the IOW weather live storm site goes down. Direct hit? http://www.isleofwig..._storm_data.htm

Switch to Burnham. nearly as accurate as the IOW http://www.burnhamoncrouchweather.com/wxlight.php

Posted
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .
  • Weather Preferences: thunder/lightning ,gales and warm sunny weather
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .

very heavy rain on/off all evening and just heard a rumble of thunder and distant lightning .oh another flash of lightning.well I hope it is or I'm in for a helluva migraine.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

iow lighting detector has gone down.

all quiet here at the moment.

fromey

Posted

Anyone under that new development over Wales? Not seeing any strikes from it yet but it's only a matter of time.

only rain in South Wales at the mo - on and off :pardon:

Posted

Interesting from TORRO for tomorrow talk of supercells..

Later in the night, another trough will approach southern parts with a second area of showers and thunderstorms accompanying it. These will move northwards through Saturday. Surface-based storms are possible in places tomorrow, especially in central and northern parts. However, the overnight evolution and eventually distribution of convective cloud debris tomorrow morning means that defining risk areas is not possible at this time. Should surface based storms develop tomorrow, shear/instability profiles look sufficient for supercells with a large hail/damaging wind risk, along with isolated tornadoes. Further discussions and possible watches are likely.

http://www.torro.org...te/forecast.php