Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Whining Thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I find that as well as sunshine and rainfall, wind is also important. If winds are light I usually feel comfortable in temperatures of 18-21C, and if there's plenty of sunshine I can lower that to around 15-16C. Conversely, I often find 18-21C uncomfortably chilly when it's overcast and windy.

Here in Tyneside the first half of July has been rather sunnier and less windy than usual which is why I found it fairly comfortable outside despite the temperatures being slightly below average.

Posted

In any case I should consider emigration if you want mean maxima of 27c, you will continue to feel persistantly disillusioned living not only in the Peaks, but in the UK full stop!

Summers in the SE were acceptable. London Heathrow Airport (the nearest to my former home) has a 1981-2010 average July maximum of 23.6°C. Given the cost of property there I am damned to remain somewhere more northerly until I can afford to move there.

Edited by EaasmanG

Posted

I nearly got frostbite having a beer in the local pub garden earlier.

I believe the maximum today, when taking wind chill into account, was minus 4oC.

I am looking forward to 2 weeks of Azores high from the start of august...that's my personal forecast/hopecast.

Posted

Yeah we know what you think, and that you find the temperatures in your location too cold (even when average or above) no need to constantly remind us, thanks.:whistling:

Nobody's forcing you to read these posts. This is the whining thread. If you don't like whining, it begs the question why you read/ post in this thread. Maybe just to antagonise?

So you think this is the best summer since 2006. Despite the coolest June since 1991 and unusually cool nights and now the coolest wettest weather since 2007. Good for you.

Watching rain total up all day on my wx station and pour down from the sky all day with 12°C temps by noon and full cloud cover makes a good summer not.

Read stuff you actually want to read on the forum and let the whiners whine, in the thread created for them. Or pick on somebody else's posts, since I'm hardly the only contributer to this thread. Thanks. Be on your way then.

Edited by EaasmanG

Posted

really really fed up now, another turgid day here cool, showery and windy, my tomatoes have been knocked over because of this awful weather it really feels like autumn here esp when there is no sun about, utterly disgusting :wallbash:

Rant over

Posted

Lol, look at the difference between the 850hpa temp ensembles for Helsinki, Finland compared with London:

http://www.netweather.tv/ensimages/ens.20110717/12/t850Helsinki.png

http://www.netweather.tv/ensimages/ens.20110717/12/t850London.png

This is just silly.

Then the ensemble mean in Moscow rises above 20C!

http://www.netweather.tv/ensimages/ens.20110717/12/t850Moscow.png

I'll eat my hat the day the ensemble mean isn't mostly or completely below average for London..

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/MT8_London_ens.png

This is sort of a 'I find this interesting' post crossed with a whining post, so thought it would be better off here.

Posted

Yeah we know what you think, and that you find the temperatures in your location too cold (even when average or above) no need to constantly remind us, thanks.:whistling:

This is the whining thread so were moan as much as we want here :lol:

Hideous day, yet another to add to an ever growing list and bland featureless days in 2011.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

So there are those who think this "summer" is the best since 2006 eh? Hmmm yeah...was thinking that when I went outside to take a rain gauge measurement and discover that exactly one inch of rain has fallen today. Relentless, constant rain, all day long (which as I write this is STILL falling!!!) accompanied by a gusty wind that made the day feel more like October.

Funny how I don't seem to recall any days as foul as today has been in the summer of 2006. While I'm at it, I'm not just using today as a stick to beat this summer with...there have been in addition far too many cool and cloudy days akin to what conor in Telford has described...glorious early sunny starts, ruined by total stratocumulus before noon, which then miraculously melts away just as the sun is going down. And no thunder heard whatsoever! NONE! What the hell is going on? Last year was crap for storms but at least last summer gave us ONE storm even though it never got closer than about 3 miles away. This year NOTHING. This summer can best be summed up as...boring...cool...cloudy...breezy...with a number of foul and wretched days interspersed with the odd genuinely summer-like day here and there.

In addition to that, I cannot really recall more than the odd few occasions where it has been possible to sit outside in the evenings to enjoy the balmy sunny weather... Yeah real summery! Not!

Edited by Carl43Wrexham

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

This is the whining thread so were moan as much as we want here :lol:

Hideous day, yet another to add to an ever growing list and bland featureless days in 2011.

Indeed it is , and I shall whine at the whiners :p

Even I'll admit it was poor today Conor!

Posted

Now up to 34mm of rain here today (and of course no thunder to be heard) . I am set about building my Ark. She'll be ready by tomorrow afternoon.

Some month this is. With the current forecast, we'll be looking at the crappest July since 2007 here (although not in Llanwnnen, Lampeter where it's the best summer since 2006). Highest temperature of the month, a crummy room-temperature 22°C.

LOL.

Posted

went to my allotmant at about 8pm albiet quite late, it just felt horrible over there windy, cool, gloomy just like autumn and now its also starting to get dark earlier aswell,

im sure we will get a lovely spell of weather in late september when the uv index is crap and i cant get a decent tan.

though if we have a decent august all this moaning will be forgoten about :whistling:

Posted

Now up to 34mm of rain here today (and of course no thunder to be heard) . I am set about building my Ark. She'll be ready by tomorrow afternoon.

Some month this is. With the current forecast, we'll be looking at the crappest July since 2007 here (although not in Llanwnnen, Lampeter where it's the best summer since 2006). Highest temperature of the month, a crummy room-temperature 22°C.

LOL.

That's about my high for the month and I don't live a few hundred metres up the Peak District, and I was away when it actually climbed to that.

There's a surprise the settled warm weather vanishes off today's runs, seen it many times from this suggested set up. Still hope in the GFS ensembles but wouldn't be at all surprised to see that going.

Edited by Stormmad26

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

another washout here, i hate living here, I wanna live in Eugene's area where its always dry and warm, I live too close to the NW

I also agree with Ireland's opinion of seasons,

summer, May, June, July

autumn, Aug, Sep, 0ct

winter, Nov, Dec, Jan

spring, Feb, Mar, Apr

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

An absolutely dire week on the cards with no warmth to speak of whatsoever. Even in 2007 we managed some decent warm mornings before the rain came along. Worst spell of summer weather since 2007 most certainly.

Posted

Beautiful morning here in Lampeter (for TM).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Where do you begin with whining about this weather?

As if October/November aren't grim & long enough without them spreading into July!

Posted

:lol:

Posted

As if October/November aren't grim & long enough without them spreading into July!

July is now the new October, with Summer starting in March and ending in May.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

My only whine about the current weather is that I'm living on the wrong side of the Peak Distriot. Some of the western slopes have received between 40 and 60 mm of rain in the last 24 hours but I've had to make do with 20.

Currently it's dry and overcast here whereas it's still pouring down in north west Derbyshire. I'll just have to keep reminding myself of the benefits of the eastern slopes in a winter easterly when the situation is reversed.

Posted

Similar here TM. If its going to be dull and wet it may as well do it in style. Not a piddling 20mm in 48 hourswallbash.gif

Posted

Well, we've had 60.2mm of rain in the last 24 hours at my hours and it's only 11°C at mid-day.

Terminal Moraine, you need to be near the cheshire border old boy.

Posted

As far as I'm concerned if it's going to be dull and wet it should do it in the autumn, when the lengthening nights and cooling temperatures remind me that Christmas is just around the corner. That at least has some charm. In July it's just not right.

What a contrast this period is to five years ago...

Posted

Going for the record low July Max today ( in recent times) for this area. July 1986 holds it at 13.5c, then the next worst is 14.4c in 2007. currently 12.8c at nearly 1 o clock, no sign of a temp increase or the low cloud clearing.

this has made the worst day of july so far quite interesting!

Posted

My max today is 11.9°C which would be the coldest summer max since August 26th last year when it reached only 11.6°C. This July is now on a par with 2007 in my location (given the recent rainfall) and could end up worse with the current forecast.

Edited by EaasmanG