Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Whining Thread

Posted

The charts continuing to cover Cyprus in blue aka low cloud/high humidity for my whole holiday next week pretty much, please dont do this to me :lol:

Posted

I didn't see the sun today, with a disappointing high of just 18.8 °C. The rest of the week looks no better.

Edited by IAmJohnnyDisco

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

The past week has been utterly abysmal here temperature wise. Today was yet another day where it barely managed to get above 16c. Even yesterday which was a cracking day fell well below the average maximum for late July.

Posted

I bloody well want to see some more days at least 20°C, how the fudge is it summer when it doesn't reach that for 2 weeks? For God's SAAAAAKKKKEKEEE

Posted

I bloody well want to see some more days at least 20°C, how the fudge is it summer when it doesn't reach that for 2 weeks? For God's SAAAAAKKKKEKEEE

Around here the difference between last July and this couldnt be greater. Last July even Bridlington right on the east coast recorded 10 days of over 24c. You have to go back 10 days to the 15th for the last day over 20c. 24c hasnt been achieved at all.

Posted

Around here the difference between last July and this couldnt be greater. Last July even Bridlington right on the east coast recorded 10 days of over 24c. You have to go back 10 days to the 15th for the last day over 20c. 24c hasnt been achieved at all.

Very different feeling months Ill agree. July 2010 was the 2nd warmest in my 30 years of records (second only to 2006) and was actually warmer than August 1995. It was also the second dullest of the decade though.

This July on the other hand is currently running 1.2C below average here, making it (so far) the 4th coldest in 30 years!

Here we did manage 24.4C on the 15th and briefly hit 20.7C on the 19th, but its been a poor couple of weeks temperature-wise. Its not a patch on July 1988 though, only three days in the entire month reached 20C and the absolute max was 21.2C. The whole summer of 1988 only managed 20 days above 20C and one day above 24C.

Very different feeling months Ill agree. July 2010 was the 2nd warmest in my 30 years of records (second only to 2006) and was actually warmer than August 1995. It was also the second dullest of the decade though.

This July on the other hand is currently running 1.2C below average here, making it (so far) the 4th coldest in 30 years!

Here we did manage 24.4C on the 15th and briefly hit 20.7C on the 19th, but its been a poor couple of weeks temperature-wise. Its not a patch on July 1988 though, only three days in the entire month reached 20C and the absolute max was 21.2C. The whole summer of 1988 only managed 20 days above 20C and one day above 24C.

The Eastern side of England did pretty well last July. Here in the Pennines it was a dull wet month with average temps. This July has felt a better month even though it has been cooler, this is due to less rain and increased sunshine.

The 4th of July was last 20+C day last year, I'm sure this second half of summer will be better.

Edited by Teesdale

Posted

Another crap day with plenty of cloud cover. I shall be glad when this summer is over.

Some people will say this is a typical British summer but this isn't typical if you compare to the summers since the 1990s. So far this month the max temp has often been around 18/19C and the highest temp reached has been 25C and this only occured once. This is very poor for my location.

Posted

once again the charts look better than the reality for this week yet another dull, cloudfest, and what a shock the GFS is teasing us with a heatwave for next week, :cc_confused:

This summer feels like its gone really slow and its still 4 or 5 months to winter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

As I often say over in MOD, there's a perception in there that high pressure automatically means warm dry sunny weather (hence the general consensus in there being that we need a "sustained settled spell" whereupon the rest will fall into place, and my cynical references to MOD as the "high pressure watch thread"). Things are rarely as simple as that in the British Isles, and the high has to be in the right place to prevent cool and/or moist airflows from complicating the issue.

Historically high pressure to the west has never been a "warm" setup due to the chilly northerly airflows that dominate on the eastern flank of the high, and it's not reliable sunshine wise because both the North Atlantic and the North Sea become sources of cloud.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

wet soon I feel, maybe around 9am, cor sucks living here

And was it? No... :lol:

Whilst a bit more cloud we have good sunshine again today whilst its dull and cool in the East. We really cant be complaining this week snow norfolk n chance!

Posted

Yet another dull and drab day with the temperature in the mid teens once again. But i look at todays presure chart and its hardly suprising really with a northeasterly off the sea feeding in a lot of cloud. Its never going to be warm around here.

Gfs 06z...now thats more like it :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I'm rather reminded of what happened in early August 2009 in Norwich- I remember being absolutely roasted alive by the regulars in MOD for being disappointed in the cloud amounts, because "you have no right to complain about the cloud- the fine warm dry settled weather of the first third of August 2009 has been a vast improvement on the miserable wet unsettled dross of July!".

In the case of Norwich, July 2009 had been a fairly warm month with frequent thundery downpours, a fair amount of sunshine in between the showers, and thunder on 7 days. While August 2009 ended up a sunny month there overall, this was mainly due to a very fine spell in the third week, and the first third was mostly dry and cloudy with near-average days and warm nights.

Thus, I was basically being told off for preferring sunshine, showers and thunder with warmth evenly spread between the days and nights (aka "miserable wet unsettled dross"), to dry cloudy weather with average days and warm nights (aka "fine warm dry settled weather"). I didn't react particularly well to it if I remember rightly... experiences like that always reinforce my stance that I wish MOD was primarily about discussing the model outputs and not about looking solely for a particular type of weather (snow in winter, warmth in spring and high pressure in summer).

Posted

I for one certainly know that high pressure to the west sucks and means too much cloud and cold (like today, a bone chilling 16 degrees in July, again). And now the cloud amounts have been systematically upgraded ONCE MORE.

Posted

The 25c+ heatwave being progged as soon as i go to Cyprus is not amusing me in the slightest!

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

As with June, july has not been a particularly whineable month. Sure not hot nor unbroken sunshine but a mix of cloudy/sunny days. Low pressure domination has not given a wet month here nor for the Midlands where only an inch has fallen in some areas.

The final week looks dry with variable sunshine. Today is very un whiney being gloriously sunny and rather warm across Wales!

Posted

16th - 22nd was extremely whinable here.

Weather on those dates:

Max temp °C - Rainfall (mm) - Sunshine (hours)

16 - 13mm - 2hrs

15 - 35mm - 0hrs

13 - 32mm - 0 hrs

14 - 4mm - 0hrs

15 - 1mm - 0hrs

17 - TR - 4hrs

16 - 4mm - 2hrs

Average/Total

15.1°C - 89mm - 9hrs

Only someone who has had a lobotomy or is in other way somehow mental incapacitated would not whine about that in July. We had our July average monthly rainfall in two days for f'u'j's sake.

But of course that was last week, now the weather has improved I am not whining, see?

Edited by EaasmanG

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Grrrrr it's bad enough not getting storms here! but we could at least have some rain. It's been so warm, cloudy and very humid for too long now and we are in desperate need for loads of rain. Even if it does try and rain all we get is a few tiny spots......:wallbash:

I've never known a Summer like it!

Posted

Im sure tommorow will be a whineable day, what was looking like being a widespread case of 22-25c with glorious sunshine has only on todays charts downgraded to drearyness.

I feel the gloom that started to set in this afternoon may be back till the weekend now as Thursday will see that front encroach from the north west.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

The dullness rolls on... as in the last few years it seems April & June are our best months with the highest of the sunshine totals. As in the past few years July has started fairly well but gone steadily downhill. Not 'awful' as such but just dull & never very warm. Wonder if August will follow in the humid dullness that has prevailed the last few years too.

Posted

Would agree there- I must admit I really enjoyed the first third of July in Tyneside with dry sunny weather during the first five days, and then a mix of sunshine and heavy thundery downpours towards the 10th, but subsequently the month has turned increasingly cloudy and cool. However, next week is looking rather more promising to me- certainly much warmer and sunnier for central and eastern areas, maybe a scattering of thundery downpours with some places catching a few and others staying completely dry.

Posted

Models for weekend now uniformly downgrading from warm and sunny to relatively nice Saturday then cool, cloudy and showery Sunday due to an occluded front coming in from the west. :fool: