Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow And Ice In The Northern Hemisphere 2011/12

Is that good or bad JACKONE? Sorry as much as I read up on these charts I still can't get my head round it and only look at the colours (shame) and that looks awfully warm to me??

Certainly very warm across the Alpine areas today, but some snow possible across some medium to higher slopes for a time over forthcoming days,

not expecting this to last (both in terms of any snow remaining or the cold weather lasting, but at least the shows the start of the winter snows even if only a few days.

Posted

Righty! here's todays image for the 17th.

17thsept2011.gif

We are now up to date and back in order, so as I said before, if you are to post the day's image, please save it to your hard drive and host it from an online site.

That way the relevent dates and images can be kept in order and no-one gets muddled....thanking you rofl.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Righty! here's todays image for the 17th.

17thsept2011.gif

We are now up to date and back in order, so as I said before, if you are to post the day's image, please save it to your hard drive and host it from an online site.

That way the relevent dates and images can be kept in order and no-one gets muddled....thanking you rofl.gif

Or, go here http://www.natice.no...VE/EuAsia/2011/ smile.png

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
http://ski-zermatt.c...-live-cams.html Nice to see the first sprinkleing high above Zermatt around 3000m. Its looking like there's been lots of snow build up in Russia and Siberia to. Edited by snowrob

Posted

That's some pretty impressive early season snow in the alps, I bet a few people holidaying there will have wished they'd have taken a few more clothes!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Very snowy at Stelvio especially. Love it. :D

Posted

Wow love the snow cams thank you for sharing those. It does seem quite early but they are at quite a high altitude I guess.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Heres a great one showing where the snow is getting to at the moment. http://www.hotelalpin.it/welcome.htm

Just click on Webcams. This place is located near Colle Isarco, Sudtirol, at the very top of Italy not far from Austria borders. biggrin.png

The website also has a webcam at the top of the nearby ski run at Ladurns just down the road from the place in the link above. Nice and snowy up there too. :D

Edited by Blizzards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Lovely buildup there! Alpine and Lapland webcams are the best you can get in Autumn. Also, the possibility of wintry showers on Nevis this week and possibly turning cooler next week in Lapland. It's all starting to get interesting, again! :)

Posted

post-847-0-15441600-1316448573_thumb.jpg

snow at 6.700ft in the Jungfrau region, Kleinne Scheidegg, change over station to go to the top pf Europe as they call it, 11,333ft up.

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

post-847-0-15441600-1316448573_thumb.jpg

snow at 6.700ft in the Jungfrau region, Kleinne Scheidegg, change over station to go to the top pf Europe as they call it, 11,333ft up.

That looks like winter and it's still summer!

You have to love the way all the snow spreads back over Asia and Europe don't ya? smile.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

cursnow_asiaeurope.gif

Probably been posted already but that snow patch in Switzerland looks really good!

At the risk of dampening everyone's excitement, whilst snow down to 800 metres is interesting, those locations above c. 2000 metres usually receive some snowfall in every month of the year. The forecast charts suggest most will be shortlived this week.

I think most of us know that, from my perspective I am just trying to put a bit of fun back into the weather in general and snow spotting in particular. Before the alpine winter starts probably some time in the late autumn. and with the 850HPa temps over the Alps projected to rise to over 15c by the end of the week, the snow will be short lived as you suggest.

Posted

At the risk of dampening everyone's excitement, whilst snow down to 800 metres is interesting, those locations above c. 2000 metres usually receive some snowfall in every month of the year. The forecast charts suggest most will be shortlived this week.

very true and its quite obvious that it will not last below 2500 metres or so. It is though one of the earliest snowfalls in the area I know well(25 years to the same place) down to around 1750 metres or a touch below.

Posted

Just a quick general guide to the 850hpa temperatures.

Under a Lp system (say 985hpa), 850hpa is roughly 1250m in the air, while under a Hp system (say 1035hpa), 850hpa is roughly 1750m in the air.

Temperature basically rises 1C every 100m down you go, but that is just a general statement, and not always true, but it is a good starter. As is snow falling at generally anything lower than 2C (I know you can get rain at 0-1C and snow at 3-6C, but this is just a general guider.

So for snow at 2000m in the Alps, at mean SLP (1013hpa) requires roughly 6C 850's, as the 850 line is about 1600m, and at 2000m, it will be 4 degrees cooler, so 6C is quite normal for wintriness at 2000m. Under lp this changes to 6C-10C uppers required and under Hp you will need roughly 2-6C uppers for snow at 2000m.

Highlands are roughly at 1100-1300m, so under mean SLP, 1600m is about the 850 line, so the Highlands are generally 2-4C warmer, so at mean SLP, you probably need -1C to -3C uppers in the Highlands (as snow usually will fall at 1C surface temperature).

Of course dew points, evaporative cooling, fronts, troughs and disturbances vary and cab change things - but this is a rough guide to the role of 850hpa temps on mountains after the instance JACKONE had shown on the previous page :)

Posted

http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa382/bogwish/lyb_big.jpg

A photo of the Harbour at Longyearbyen Svalbard, copied off the web cam a couple of days ago, as you can see there is no snow on the high ground opposite yet.

My apologise if this hasn't worked, I'm a little new to photobukett and uploading etc.

Posted

post-12276-0-28184300-1316545650_thumb.g

Todays! I think this should make sure that when people view this in a few days time, it will have todays date on, and not update automatically, hopefully! smile.png

Oh yeah, click on the photo to enlarge ;)

Edited by Isolated Frost